JMAuction - 11/11/2020 - Results

Zanetti

58 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

fyi

*1st Click On The Attached .png To Enlarge!

*Click Once More

*It Will Start In A New Tab

*Click Again To Enlarge

--- --- --- --- ---

*To Download - Right Click On The .png - Save Image As

screencapture-raresoulman-co-uk-auction-soul-auction-soul-auction-ending-this-wednesday-html-2020-11-11-19_00_44.png

I'm asking this here, because we have the special case here and I don't want to open a new thread elsewhere - there's probably one in the shallows.

what I would be interested in regarding the acetates - I don't know about them, but I always thought they are only limited playable. Due to the softness of the lacquer coating, acetates are not particularly durable and will wear out and become noisy with repeated play.

So do I see this correctly: we pay a lot of money for a naturally very rare recording at the beginning of the actual process - but the durability is not the same as the actual end product?
Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Halogen said:

The attraction is the brilliant atmospheric production, and the Vel-vets give a performance of a lifetime.    It's a great Northern Soul alltime classic!

So are half the records on this list and even more of all time classics and as I said a lot cheaper.  All a matter of opinion 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

I'm asking this here, because we have the special case here and I don't want to open a new thread elsewhere - there's probably one in the shallows.

what I would be interested in regarding the acetates - I don't know about them, but I always thought they are only limited playable. Due to the softness of the lacquer coating, acetates are not particularly durable and will wear out and become noisy with repeated play.

So do I see this correctly: we pay a lot of money for a naturally very rare recording at the beginning of the actual process - but the durability is not the same as the actual end product?

Something like the Nancy Wilcox you are buying a piece of history of what is a great song and didn’t get an official release until 2013 or 14.

if I were very rich that kind of acetate would appeal to me for the history of it.  But I’d have to vinyl pied piper release to play.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks for posting as always 

Can anyone please explain to me why the Vel-vets is so expensive . Whats the attraction . Its not rare 🤔.  Its just a run of the mill record, there's far better records on even this list at a 1/3 of the price. 

It’s the best record to go ‘WOOO’ to. An absolute must-have record, especially if DJing. Actually thought it went a bit cheaply.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

You’re absolutely right. Acetates are short-term records, extremely delicate and not designed or intended for frequent plays. Some can be truly unique and therefore worth having as they may be the only recording of the sound in existence. They can appeal to the DJ wanting to spin a one-off or the keen collector seeking all the work of a particular artist. Not totally sure, but ownership may involve copyright and offer scope to re-issue on a private label for financial gain - could someone confirm the legality of this?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Not totally sure, but ownership may involve copyright and offer scope to re-issue on a private label for financial gain - could someone confirm the legality of this?

In European copyright law an unreleased recording goes out of copyright after 50 years. Thus my loose understanding is that if you got hold of an unreleased acetate that had never been publicly broadcast after 50 years of it being recorded, it is free of copyright and therefore you could do what you wanted with the unreleased recording on the acetate.

Interesting article on the subject of copyright pertaining to unreleased music performances and EU copyright from Billboard, which states that: 

In 2011, the EU updated copyright law in a way that means officially unreleased material could fall into the public domain 50 years after it was recorded. That would mean any company would be free to release it. 

Source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7654212/why-unreleased-marvin-gaye-supremes-beach-boys-tracks-are-suddenly

Usual disclaimers apply. It’s complicated, I’m no expert, and I’m happy to corrected.

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Link added
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks for posting as always 

Can anyone please explain to me why the Vel-vets is so expensive . Whats the attraction . Its not rare 🤔.  Its just a run of the mill record, there's far better records on even this list at a 1/3 of the price. 

As far as its rareity is concerned,i have to agree with you. I have seen more black stock copies for sale than you can shake a stick at. Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

You’re absolutely right. Acetates are short-term records, extremely delicate and not designed or intended for frequent plays. 

I always thought the fragility of acetates was hugely over-exaggerated - after four or five plays, some of the treble maybe dampens down, but looked after and played with decent carts they should last the same as a normal 45 if looked after. I'm sure Butch and Ady have had acetates they've played for years... - 

Social source share

3 hours ago, cover-up said:

I always thought the fragility of acetates was hugely over-exaggerated - after four or five plays, some of the treble maybe dampens down, but looked after and played with decent carts they should last the same as a normal 45 if looked after. I'm sure Butch and Ady have had acetates they've played for years... - 

Yes, I’ve played some 200 + times with no noticeable deterioration. If they’re damaged beforehand that’s different 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 11/11/2020 at 22:39, Frankie Crocker said:

You’re absolutely right. Acetates are short-term records, extremely delicate and not designed or intended for frequent plays. Some can be truly unique and therefore worth having as they may be the only recording of the sound in existence. They can appeal to the DJ wanting to spin a one-off or the keen collector seeking all the work of a particular artist. Not totally sure, but ownership may involve copyright and offer scope to re-issue on a private label for financial gain - could someone confirm the legality of this?

Thanks for the answer. yes, what do you do? i have a really unique acetate pressing, but in principle i have to be technically careful not to play it too often.
Or - like Mr. Croasdell; I can play it well over 200+ without noticing any wear.
Risk, difficult subject I find ... I personally would like to be able to think of
Marvin Gaye - Hanging On, provided that this is ever fulfilled at all... but with this background ... Thanks to all, nice thread, nice side topic.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!