Mar-V-Lus

Soulfulsolutions

Slab of soul up for grabs, simply Mar-V-Lus stuff…..

Joseph Moore - I can’t get to you / I’m lost without you - Mar-V-Lus 6008 Ex OFFERS

Can’t remember exactly, but years many ago, I got a regular paper magazine drop from a US dealer called Rookie Ricardo (still active now I think). His thick A4 sized pictorial sales list was packed cover to cover with 100’s of US Soul labels, listed A-Z with popular, lesser known, collectable and a spattering of rare 45s. In one edition I had to rub my eyes, because there before me was the legendary Joseph Moore on Mar-V-Lus, minty at $10. I must have spent the next 24 hours constantly e-mailing and ringing his number, but to no avail, and as time went by my sense of “right time right place” waned and I gave up, never to have and behold a copy for many years after!

Owned by George Leaner, the fabulous catalogues of One-Der-Ful, M-Pac and Mar-V-Lus capture the broad spirit of Chicago’s R&B and Soul scene from the early to late 60s, with roughly 100 vinyl releases between them and boasting numerous talented artists. Their closure in 68 led to the rise of the shorter lived but still productive Toddlin’ Town and Midas labels under George’s brother Ernie. Now I know many collect label runs, like Ric-Tic, Revilot, D-Town as obvious examples, but you’re a smart and lucky cookie if you ever went about Georges trio, AND got them all. Whilst there are quality tacks on each label, we are focussing on 2 on Mar-V-Lus in particular , the label designated for the teen orientated market, which could have fooled me!

Mora Joseph Moore, or Joe, hailed from North Carolina but moved to New York, joined the Dell-Vikings before going solo, with labels like CB, Tru-Glo-Town and Verve, “I ain’t” being a corker on the latter. Predominantly a writer, his most sought-after output is his vocal “I can’t get to you” written by the awesome Jesse Herring Jr on what happens to be (as far as I know) the rarest Mar-V-Lus 45. It has a great flip too and reputedly only 500 were pressed, which seems to be a common figure bandied about when only a few copies of a rare and collectable 45 exist!

Condition wise, the 45 is graded Excellent, displaying minor handling marks or paper lines.  Plays with very minor audible feedback, not background noise, just the occasional scattered light pop, almost hidden by the track itself and has a little crackle on run out. Labels show very minor signs of ageing wear.  FINE EXAMPLE of a rare soul 45.

Content with PayPal by friends or add 4%, alternatively bank transfer.

Cheers, Lee

965389789_Marvlus6008a.thumb.jpg.982d7321d829ce51693df9e8fe50103e.jpg 2031117524_Marvlus6008b.thumb.jpg.e34fccad173f412aa75f0dd6151ec274.jpg 

Edited by Soulfulsolutions
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 1
  • Views 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!