Labour Leaders Northern Soul ...

Posted

a recent msm article had this...

The leader of the opposition choose Dobie Gray’s Out On The Floor as one of the records he would take with him if he was cast away.

Sir Keir said: “I love Northern Soul. This reminds me, when I’m on my island, of my, sort of, early days in London with a group of friends in a really grotty flat above a sauna and massage parlour that kept interesting hours.

“It evokes a particular era of my life.”

full read here

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-14/starmer-reveals-northern-soul-love-as-he-recalls-living-above-massage-parlour

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 21
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A wry smile   ''So, my PR 'person' told me to ''Go with ''my wild days of youth'' moment, in a bid to authenticate myself....er to the um...masses.''  In my sort of early days...sigh...

How to win the working class back develop a love for northern soul and football, sorry just being cynical I'm sure he loves both.😏

Couldn't agree more.  Being working class is in vogue.  Me i always wished i was rich.😁shallow i know .

Posted

Well that would be enough to get my vote , but he's had that already . He went to school with  DJ Norman Cook, he plays 3 musical instruments , and this could suggest he was living in London in his late teens or early 20's , which might have taken him to 6T's events.  Keep the Faith. ! 🙂

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Just reading Sir Kier Starmer picked Dobie Gray Out on the floor for Desert Island Discs....

About time some northern soul started making that playlist!

Ed

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Just reading Sir Kier Starmer picked Dobie Gray Out on the floor for Desert Island Discs....

Ed

You beat me to it. I was going to start a new thread but I’ll follow your lead. I’ve just read the Sunday Times article but not heard the Desert Island Discs programme. Sir Keir apparently used to live a massage parlour in London, and this song must have been played often enough for it to become a favourite. The presenter then asked Keir if he was a good dancer and he replied to dance to northern soul music, you need ‘flip-spins and backdrops - a few years I had a go but I wouldn’t be foolish enough to try again’.

So, my question is this - have any foolish dancers out there got photographic evidence of Keir strutting his stuff at the 100 Club or some soul night as I would like to see a flip-spin and backdrop done in the style of a fool?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Why does a celebrity or in this case a politician liking what is a pretty mainstream record cause so much fuss?

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Chalky said:

Why does a celebrity or in this case a politician liking what is a pretty mainstream record cause so much fuss?

Imagine if Boris said he liked Mello Souls and had a copy Karl :)

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
18 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Ed

I reckon the Snake would be more appropriate but perhaps he was Trumped by the Donald.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 15/11/2020 at 09:22, Mike said:

A wry smile

''So, my PR 'person' told me to ''Go with ''my wild days of youth'' moment, in a bid to authenticate myself....er to the um...masses.'' 

In my sort of early days...sigh... sounds like a line from a book, that masage parlour bit.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on. 

It wants to be true this or he'll make himself look a coQue.  

Blair kept well away from popular culture with good reason, still didn't stop it all coming out, and even a mini-series LOL priceless. 

Dishface couldn't recall whether he supported the East Ham Villas, or Westchester United. 

Possibly it will be outed as a pack of gibberish when Tarquin and chums come forward to say he lived in Mayfair during his studies, pretty much like Wee Willie Hague and his 9 pints and flat cap on his Fahtha's Dray, Theresa May and her chips, Ed Milliband and his bacon sarnie. 

Moral of the story, don't pretend you're working class if you're not.   

Sorry-feeling cynical. 

Edited by Mike
quote bit sorted out
  • Up vote 7
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
23 minutes ago, Bunderthollox said:

A wry smile

''So, my PR 'person' told me to ''Go with ''my wild days of youth'' moment, in a bid to authenticate myself....er to the um...masses.'' 

In my sort of early days...sigh... sounds like a line from a book, that masage parlour bit.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on. 

It wants to be true this or he'll make himself look a coQue.  

Blair kept well away from popular culture with good reason, still didn't stop it all coming out, and even a mini-series LOL priceless. 

Dishface couldn't recall whether he supported the East Ham Villas, or Westchester United. 

Possibly it will be outed as a pack of gibberish when Tarquin and chums come forward to say he lived in Mayfair during his studies, pretty much like Wee Willie Hague and his 9 pints and flat cap on his Fahtha's Dray, Theresa May and her chips, Ed Milliband and his bacon sarnie. 

Moral of the story, don't pretend you're working class if you're not.   

Sorry-feeling cynical. 

Couldn't agree more.  Being working class is in vogue.  Me i always wished i was rich.😁shallow i know .

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

HAHA It works the other way Lestah! Eevryone wants to be well off but Pretending to be posh when you're not is an embarrassment 

Edited by Bunderthollox
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 minutes ago, Bunderthollox said:

HAHA It works the other way Lestah! Eevryone wants to be well off but Pretending to be posh when you're not is an embarrassment 

I would need the acting skills of de niro to do that. Working class and proud of it.😄

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 15/11/2020 at 11:19, Leicester Boy said:

How to win the working class back develop a love for northern soul and football, sorry just being cynical I'm sure he loves both.😏

Not sure if you can change your class. This guy certainly had a working class upbringing.

I just think its great that the first northern soul record i bought on the black magic label ..... before I got a charger stock copy 2 years later, also resonated with a Knight of the realm...

As we all know...keep politics out of these threads and it keeps it freindly..!

Ed

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Never questioned whether he was working class or not! Just who i perceive  his words were aimed at. I will banish all such thoughts and certainly agree its good he likes northern and football. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Well Bonnie prince Charlie had a thing for the three degrees....alledgidly...

No doubt he would had this playing now and again.

Ed

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
59 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Well Bonnie prince Charlie had a thing for the three degrees....alledgidly...

No doubt he would had this playing now and again.

Ed

Ed. Now that is a proper forgotten Wigan tune. I used to play it out occasionally but not often.  

soul source url
Social source share
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 16/11/2020 at 14:47, Leicester Boy said:

Never questioned whether he was working class or not! Just who i perceive  his words were aimed at. I will banish all such thoughts and certainly agree its good he likes northern and football. 

But he doesn't like Football, he supports Arse-anal.

• Listening 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 minutes ago, Soul-slider said:

But he doesn't like Football, he supports Arse-anal.

Have you ever saw arsenal fan tv ....where have they got them lot from. Half of em want sectioning.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
7 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

Have you ever saw arsenal fan tv ....where have they got them lot from. Half of em want sectioning.

They have the most fickle fans in the Prem mate. They really go to town on the team when they are having a bad run. I know we all do it but they are the worst!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 16/11/2020 at 12:03, Leicester Boy said:

Ah-the Dignity of labour!

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Leaders On Volt
    Look At Your Box by chris anderton on Sun 03 Jul 2005