Most recording names

Tomo

I was recently reading the comments on a YouTube video for Bobby Garrett - I can’t get away. Amongst them it was mentioned that Bobby had 4 recording names; Bob Relf, Bob from Bob & Earl, Bobby Valentino plus Bobby Garrett......

I know that quite a number of artists recorded under different names, just out of interest does anyone know if there’s an artist with more than 4 or who recorded the most number of records under different names.

Apologies upfront if there has been a thread on this topic previously.

Tomo

Social source share

The king of pseudonyms has to be John Lee Hooker,who in the late 40's and 50's recorded as Birmingham Sam,Johnny Williams, Texas Slim, The Boogie Man, Johnny Lee and John Lee Booker to name just 6! (I think there was just one or two more before he stayed billed under his real full name in the mid-late 50's

Then there's the remarkable case of R&B vocal group the Larks (the Gene Mumford/Alden Bunn aka Tarheel Slim group,not the early 60's Philly guys) who recorded under 4 different names for 4 different record companies in New York and New Jersey in one day! (Oct 5th 1950) They recorded Gospel as the Jubilators, Selah Jubilee Singers and Southern Harmonaires for Jubilee, Regal and Apollo and R&B as the 4 Barons for Savoy! 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Oh yes,thanks Ken-forgot  all about dear Kendra/Sandi -;also gems with Van McCoy as the Fantastic Vantastics and Jack & Jill-what a beautiful Doo-Wop that is ('Just As You Are')

48 minutes ago, Kenb said:

Kenni woods/Alice Presley/Sandi sheldon/Kendra spotswood: then fold in pacettes etc

Social source share

3 hours ago, Michael V said:

The king of pseudonyms has to be John Lee Hooker,who in the late 40's and 50's recorded as Birmingham Sam,Johnny Williams, Texas Slim, The Boogie Man, Johnny Lee and John Lee Booker to name just 6! (I think there was just one or two more before he stayed billed under his real full name in the mid-late 50's

Here's one more for the list - 

JLC.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 16/11/2020 at 09:59, Michael V said:

Then there's the remarkable case of R&B vocal group the Larks (the Gene Mumford/Alden Bunn aka Tarheel Slim group,not the early 60's Philly guys) who recorded under 4 different names for 4 different record companies in New York and New Jersey in one day! (Oct 5th 1950) They recorded Gospel as the Jubilators, Selah Jubilee Singers and Southern Harmonaires for Jubilee, Regal and Apollo and R&B as the 4 Barons for Savoy! 

This is true, and John Lee used about 2-3 more names that weren't listed here.  He was DEFINITELY the king of AKAs!  Detroit's Royal Jokers also recorded, previously (during The 1950s) as The Serenaders, Muskateers, Royals, and Scooters for 16 different labels (Roxy, J-V-B, Coral, Swing Time, Red Robin, DeLuxe, Venus, Dawn, ATCO, Hi-Q, Fortune, Metro, Keldon, Big Top, and Wingate).

Detroit's Crowns became The Thrillers, then The 5 Jets, then The Five Stars, then The Voice Masters (and 2 of the latter group helped form Motown's Originals).  But this group operating from 1952-to well into The 1970s, had a lot of personnel changes.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Good to hear from you again, Robb. I liked John Lee Hookers' reply when once asked why he recorded under so many aliases in his early years- " Well, moneys pretty exciting,you know.."

Although they are best known here for their 60's Northern classic 'Love Game (From A-Z)' on Wingate (their last record) The Royal Jokers,as you say, went way back to the post-war beginnings of R&B group harmony;their mid-50's adopted name was deceptive as they were'nt Coasters clones and only did comedy routines on stage-on record their material was pretty much straight Doo Wop, i.e. ballads and jumps;their Atco sides are good examples of the latter and 'Sweet Little Angel' on Fortune is a wonderful ballad,a great favourite of mine.

Re.Graham who posted above about Richard Berry;although he sang uncredited  with a number of groups in the bewildering,wonderful discographical  tangle that was the 50's/early 60's LA Doo-Wop scene,I don't think he recorded under many aliases; his group The Pharaohs recorded as The Cyclones for Flip in 57' and he cut a 45' under the name Jasper Woods  ('I'm Coming Home' on VPM in 1961) I don't know of any others.

Social source share

Ken Goodloe was in the Pentagons, The Shields, The Chesterfields, The Themes, 21st Century, Soul Patrol and The Corduroys.

He wrote two of my fav NS records in The Themes-No Explanation Needed and Minnie Jones “Shadow of a Memory”.

I think he is far left on this photo with his brother Ted standing next to him.

0BADFA33-C93B-4C41-95CA-DBD49FBBADDA.jpeg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, David Meikle said:

Ken Goodloe was in the Pentagons, The Shields, The Chesterfields, The Themes, 21st Century, Soul Patrol and The Corduroys.

He wrote two of my fav NS records in The Themes-No Explanation Needed and Minnie Jones “Shadow of a Memory”.

I think he is far left on this photo with his brother Ted standing next to him.

0BADFA33-C93B-4C41-95CA-DBD49FBBADDA.jpeg

Yes,Ken is on the far left - his brother Ted,though, is crouching down on the right,next to lead singer Joe Jones,who is standing far right

Edited by Michael V
Typographical error
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Michael V said:

Yes,Ken is on the far left - his brother Ted,though, is crouching down on the right,next to lead singer Joe Jones,who is standing far right

Thanks for identifying the Goodloe brothers properly.

Cheers also for Joe Jones of the Jones Brothers.

I wonder if Minnie Jones was related to Joe Jones as Ken wrote for both.

Love Jones Brothers “Good Old Days” too.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!