News: Mister Good Times - Norman Jay - Kindle

Mike

Same as Keamus - read the hardback. I found the Spurs away at Liverpool and trips to NY most compelling, but it was interesting to see a black Londoner's viewpoint of the Home Counties late 7ts/8ts soul/JF scene. I always thought it was inclusive, Norman's experience suggests very much not.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I enjoyed the hardback. The stories about trips to NY and the records brought back (and subsequently "discovered" by others :rofl:) are amusing. Was pleased to see a nice word for Mark Roman, the original Crackers dj who sadly passed away in June this year. Unlike many other clubs at the time there was not a racist door policy there, while the playlist did much to attract a lot of regulars. Add to that all the stories about the various clubs and venues visited and you've got a very informed perspective on a large cross section of the UK soul scene at a crucial time in its development. Recommended.

Social source share

Thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded to Kindle and was looking for some new inspiration. 

One of the best books I read (a good few years ago) but in a similar vein was 'Last night a DJ saved my life'. Really interesting and well researched book about the history of the DJ, Inc a chapter on Northern Soul iirc. 

Edited by Fish Fingers
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 29/11/2020 at 07:03, Fish Fingers said:

Thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded to Kindle and was looking for some new inspiration. 

One of the best books I read (a good few years ago) but in a similar vein was 'Last night a DJ saved my life'. Really interesting and well researched book about the history of the DJ, Inc a chapter on Northern Soul iirc. 

Bill brewster book is an essential read. The definitive book on the subject IMHO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!