Soul Brothers Inc.

Blackpoolsoul

I always suspected that the Salem release was a totally different group with a couple of guys doing vocals, would be nice to join the Carter Brothers with the group and get info

After some digging I have no conclusions about members sadly, but turned up this photo which speaks for itself and you never know, might just lead somewhere

Now added to Discogs

George Donald McGraw

AKA "Jolly Don" and “Cuzzin Don” was a local radio personality on WOPI and WCYB in Bristol as well as stations in Richmond, Virginia, and Salem, Virginia, in the late 1940s and early 1950s. With his access to station studios and equipment, his record company was really a P. O. Box and wherever “Cuzzin Don” told the artists to show up to record. 
He also owned a record store on Main Street in Salem

He had the Doran, Mart and Salem labels, plus McGraw Music Co. Inc. (ASCAP) and Sugarloaf Pub. Co. (BMI), all housed at 111 Main Street, Salem, VA. He himself was an ASCAP affiliated songwriter.

IMG_0208.jpg

Carter.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

During the late 40’s through to mid 1950’s The Old Dominion Barn Dance ran every Saturday night as a radio show in Richmond’s WRVA theatre. Run by ‘Sunshine Sue’, Mary Higdon Workman (prexy of Southland Shows Inc) & her hubby ‘Big Sugarfoot’ (John Workman). It was very successful and ran coast-to-coast on the CBS network.

Soul Bros Inc, Salem Records PM-500, Tear Drops, Sugarloaf Pub Co, vocal Carter Brothers.

The ‘Little Carter Brothers’ (1950) one of whom needed to stand on a soap box to reach the microphone, rendered mainly a repertoire of hymns when they appeared on the Saturday night shows. If they are the same ‘Carter Brothers’ then it took a further 15/16 years to cut “Tear Drops”, and I guess they were teenagers/early twenties by then.

Salem Others

Shirlee Hunter’s first single, “I Can't Do A Thing With My Heart / Loneliness Is Falling All Around” on Salem M516, 1963, coincided with her last appearance on what was then being called The New Dominion Barn Dance, the theatre was due for demolition in October of the same year. She (maybe like the Carter Brothers) had started her career on the show back in 1956.

Little Cindy also released on Salem 2515, 1967 & Mart 3510, 1961. Little Cindy (Saul) A.“Happy Birthday Jesus” B: “He's Around (When Everybody Turns You Down)” 1959, also cut a record in 1959 called ‘Shabby’. Across the State June was known as ‘Shabby’ month. Shabby was donated free by Columbia and George Donald McGraw’s pubbery (Sugarloaf Pub Co to name just one) on behalf of the Virginia Society for Crippled Children & Adults who sold each copy for $1.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Kenb said:

During the late 40’s through to mid 1950’s The Old Dominion Barn Dance ran every Saturday night as a radio show in Richmond’s WRVA theatre. Run by ‘Sunshine Sue’, Mary Higdon Workman (prexy of Southland Shows Inc) & her hubby ‘Big Sugarfoot’ (John Workman). It was very successful and ran coast-to-coast on the CBS network.

Soul Bros Inc, Salem Records PM-500, Tear Drops, Sugarloaf Pub Co, vocal Carter Brothers.

The ‘Little Carter Brothers’ (1950) one of whom needed to stand on a soap box to reach the microphone, rendered mainly a repertoire of hymns when they appeared on the Saturday night shows. If they are the same ‘Carter Brothers’ then it took a further 15/16 years to cut “Tear Drops”, and I guess they were teenagers/early twenties by then.

Salem Others

Shirlee Hunter’s first single, “I Can't Do A Thing With My Heart / Loneliness Is Falling All Around” on Salem M516, 1963, coincided with her last appearance on what was then being called The New Dominion Barn Dance, the theatre was due for demolition in October of the same year. She (maybe like the Carter Brothers) had started her career on the show back in 1956.

Little Cindy also released on Salem 2515, 1967 & Mart 3510, 1961. Little Cindy (Saul) A.“Happy Birthday Jesus” B: “He's Around (When Everybody Turns You Down)” 1959, also cut a record in 1959 called ‘Shabby’. Across the State June was known as ‘Shabby’ month. Shabby was donated free by Columbia and George Donald McGraw’s pubbery (Sugarloaf Pub Co to name just one) on behalf of the Virginia Society for Crippled Children & Adults who sold each copy for $1.

And now I find McGraw wrote this track which Tarantino got hold of.....What a connection

Social source share

That's the Rock-A-Teens number.

The Rock-A-Teens filed a suit against Roulette & McGraw for breach of contract & unpaid royalties -$25K

I have the band members full names(not just there go by names) somewhere.

Edited by Kenb
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, The Yank said:

The original release and the later release on Roulette with new songwriter credits - 

Woo.jpg

roul.jpg

Woo-1.jpg

As above it's worth mentioning the Rock-A-Teens connection, as another act on the Roulette roster, to notorious music biz gangster Morris “Moishe” Levy. Add the R-A-T’s to the list of those who got their song-writing credits hijacked by Levy, and never reaped a dime of "Woo-Hoo" publishing action, despite the song peaking at the #16 position on the Billboard charts in 1959. But Levy wasn’t the first to fleece the R-A-T’s. That dubious distinction goes to George McGraw, owner of the Mart label, who originally released the song. McGraw followed the Levy blueprint by forcing his name onto the songwriting credits, and then leased the song to Levy's Roulette, who continued the bilkage on a grander scale.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!