Turntable recommendations.

Fishdockroad

Hi all,

Trying to purchase a Technics 1210 Mk 2 for home use but struggling with current demand Like a lot of things they look to have become even more popular within the last year as people understandably entertain at home.  I’m only looking for a Technics as that’s what I’m familiar with and will match the one I have. So, can anyone either sell me a black one or recommend an alternative?   Thanks in advance. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

B e careful if you are tempted to buy the latest Technics 1210 offering (MK7) for around£800.00 new . These are not the same build quality as the originals , and very much lighter , check out the reviews , for my money , I,m thinking for around£400-£ 500.00, you should be able to pick up a decent second hand one .  Again , wouldn,t advise you to buy sight unseen , you need to check the lights , condition and the general feel . If you deffo want a new deck , I like  the look and feel of the Pioneer Professional PlX1000. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 24/11/2020 at 11:52, Fishdockroad said:

Hi all,

Trying to purchase a Technics 1210 Mk 2 for home use but struggling with current demand Like a lot of things they look to have become even more popular within the last year as people understandably entertain at home.  I’m only looking for a Technics as that’s what I’m familiar with and will match the one I have. So, can anyone either sell me a black one or recommend an alternative?   Thanks in advance. 

I did the same as Alan and went with the Reloop around 3 years ago. No problems with it at all so far.

Added Wharfdale bookcase speakers and bought a older NAD 3120 amp that has the mono function. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Carty said:

B e careful if you are tempted to buy the latest Technics 1210 offering (MK7) for around£800.00 new . These are not the same build quality as the originals , and very much lighter , check out the reviews , for my money , I,m thinking for around£400-£ 500.00, you should be able to pick up a decent second hand one .  Again , wouldn,t advise you to buy sight unseen , you need to check the lights , condition and the general feel . If you deffo want a new deck , I like  the look and feel of the Pioneer Professional PlX1000. 

It’s disappointing to hear the classic 1210 has suffered from cost cutting.  I’ve not seen one of the new ones yet the old ones are fantastic.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

15 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

and bought a older NAD 3120 amp that has the mono function. 

I like this!  1960's and most early 70's records sound better to me played with the Mono button option!

I know mono cartridges are available, but they are expensive and a hassle to keep changing them over to stereo.

I have searched every manufacturer for an new amp with a mono/stereo button!

They just don't do them anymore.  Just about all amps in the 1970's had this mono/stereo button option!

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Halogen said:

I like this!  1960's and most early 70's records sound better to me played with the Mono button option!

I know mono cartridges are available, but they are expensive and a hassle to keep changing them over to stereo.

I have searched every manufacturer for an new amp with a mono/stereo button!

They just don't do them anymore.  Just about all amps in the 1970's had this mono/stereo button option!

Yes most of the records we buy and play are in mono, so someone recommended it to me. Got mine off Ebay for about 70 quid. One draw back is on my NAD there is no bass adjustment so if the recording quality of the record is "dull" there can be a bit of distortion at higher volumes.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

51 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Yes most of the records we buy and play are in mono, so someone recommended it to me. Got mine off Ebay for about 70 quid. One draw back is on my NAD there is no bass adjustment so if the recording quality of the record is "dull" there can be a bit of distortion at higher volumes.

I'm currently using a Creek amp and works well including mono .

Can be picked up cheap eg 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Creek-CAS-4040-Integrated-Amplifier/402594179842?pageci=ef1fc54b-0fc6-4078-a3b2-99b0ee93ae87

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I still use my NAD 3020e. I bought this new in the late 80's. Still works well and loud enough to be offensive in a domestic setting!! 

It has the mono button, treble, bass and balance control. Battleship construction.

Plenty for sale on eBay

Edited by Bo Diddley
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!