St Ives All-nighters around 76 - Big Sound

On 26/11/2020 at 08:41, Merve said:

To put this record into context I would say in 77 at St Ives it filled the dance floor just as much as some of the sounds broken there at the same time like Servicemen - Are You Angry, Billy Arnell - Tough Girl, etc.

There were a lot of records that seemed exclusive to St Ives at the time now forgotten, some good ( like Les Femme - Closer, Judy Hughes - Ocean of Emotion as examples), some indifferent, & others not so good (like Camp - Marching before elsewhere latched on ) 

I defy anyone to try & find a copy of Judy Hughes on Crusader by the way 🤑. Sam had it covered up as The Primettes 

I bought the Judy Hughes off Sam, probably around 78 or 79 ish. I kept it for a few years, might have DJ'd with it, although I did found it a bit bland, so it may not have had no more than one or two outings.

I eventually sold it on many years later, possibly to either Guy Hennigan, or maybe it's one I kept until I sold everything much later to Richard Domar, about '86 or so. (Most of those went to Tim Brown I believe).

I think Simon Soussan also had one in his collection when he sold up, but don't know who bought that.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I bought the Judy Hughes off Sam, probably around 78 or 79 ish. I kept it for a few years, might have DJ'd with it, although I did found it a bit bland, so it may not have had no more than one or two outings.

I eventually sold it on many years later, possibly to either Guy Hennigan, or maybe it's one I kept until I sold everything much later to Richard Domar, about '86 or so. (Most of those went to Tim Brown I believe).

I think Simon Soussan also had one in his collection when he sold up, but don't know who bought that.

Hi Mick are you from the Midlands ?

im sure Kev Featherstone use to talk about you I could be wrong 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Dave Fleming (rip) had a copy about 15 years ago when I visited his record room during a visit 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Have a vague recollection of JM auctioning one around then, so that maybe the one Dave bought (speculation). It seems to be quite hard to find nowadays.

Apart from the copy Sam had back in the day and Dave's copy I haven't seen any at all. Let alone for sale 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Merve said:

Apart from the copy Sam had back in the day and Dave's copy I haven't seen any at all. Let alone for sale 

Yes, the Soussan copy may be the one that Dave ended up with, whilst Sams copy, through me to TB, would be a second copy.

Like you, I only know of those two, but there may be others out there, probably are. Locating one could be rather hard I think.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/12/2022 at 21:44, Theothertosspot said:

On a previous post on here (2011) a white demo of Judy Hughes (Primettes) was offered for sale for £800.

Regards

That may have been Dave's. He told me he was thinking of selling when I visited. Too rich for my blood back then.

EDIT

Probably not Dave's copy as the seller is still a member on here whilst Dave is sadly no longer with us

Edited by Merve
update
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!