Maradona. Passed away

• Replies 47
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Frightening to think how good he'd have been if he hadn't taken party drugs isn't it, no one man can win a tournament, let alone the World Cup by themselves, Maradona came closest to destroying the no

I urge anyone to watch the recent film about him, he couldn't live a normal life.  He was god in Argentina and Naples and lived in a goldfish bowl.  He couldn't go anywhere in the day.  Night time was

Hand of god, what were the match officials doing? Blame them, they were the only ones not to see it. 

Posted Images

Posted

Always remember the second goal against England in the hand of god game - amazing skill and natural talent - however that does not take away he will be remembered as a cheat and coke head.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Another sad example of somebody given everything life can offer, but that self destruct button still gets pressed.

Leaves at least 11 children.

A real shame his fame and fortune did not give him peace.

Ed

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I urge anyone to watch the recent film about him, he couldn't live a normal life.  He was god in Argentina and Naples and lived in a goldfish bowl.  He couldn't go anywhere in the day.  Night time was his time when not on the pitch.  Little wonder with the life he lived he transgressed like he did.

But for all his demons he was a truly gifted footballer, one of the best ever.  With a low centre of gravity, he had perfect balance, a blistering turn of pace and skills unmatched in his era.

R.I.P.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 7
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I urge anyone to watch the recent film about him, he couldn't live a normal life.  He was god in Argentina and Naples and lived in a goldfish bowl.  He couldn't go anywhere in the day.  Night time was his time when not on the pitch.  Little wonder with the life he lived he transgressed like he did.

But for all his demons he was a truly gifted footballer, one of the best ever.  With a low sense of gravity, he had perfect balance, a blistering turn of pace and skills unmatched in his era.

R.I.P.

Watched  that film it was a real eye opener , I can forgive the hand of God and his demons because he was the best in my opinion won the world cup for Argentina almost single handed and turned Napoli in to Italian champions. 

R.I.P Diego , I will watch the videos again tonight and remember your unique talent.

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Hand of god, what were the match officials doing? Blame them, they were the only ones not to see it. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Hiya, remember seeing him play against England at Wembley a couple of years after the 78 world cup. Although England won, maradona was the talk of the crowd, cheers

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Ironically its 15 years ago today that George Best passed away  😪 I went to Old Trafford the following day to see the flowers and tributes that people had left. Unbelievable sight unfortunately my phone was knackered and I didn't have a  camera to capture the scene . Sleep well and rest in peace George 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

Always remember the second goal against England in the hand of god game - amazing skill and natural talent - however that does not take away he will be remembered as a cheat and coke head.

Frightening to think how good he'd have been if he hadn't taken party drugs isn't it, no one man can win a tournament, let alone the World Cup by themselves, Maradona came closest to destroying the notion, when he went to Napoli, it was the equivalent of signing for Newcastle here, fanatical fans in a deprived area, a club who'd won nothing, one man lifted the club and city to heights they could never dream of, the down trodden peasants from the South, tearing it up and beating the powerhouses of the affluent North, doing this in the then best league in the world, tactically and defensively, Platini, Guillit, Maldini, Baresi, Van Basten, Mattheus, he outshone them all, Messi has just said, if he played for a million years, he'd never be as good as Maradona, in fact, Germany v Argentina, 2014 World Cup Final, take prime time Messi out, put prime time Maradona in, Argentina win all day long, such was his influence to make inferior team mates respond and rise above themselves, I love football, it's been and still is a big part of my life, alliegences and fads mean nothing to me, quite simply, the greatest footballer of all time 

R.I.P Diego Armando Maradona

• Up vote 7
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Ironically its 15 years ago today that George Best passed away  😪 I went to Old Trafford the following day to see the flowers and tributes that people had left. Unbelievable sight unfortunately my phone was knackered and I didn't have a  camera to capture the scene . Sleep well and rest in peace George 

later in his career he played for my local club - San Jose Earthquakes.  

Unknown.jpg

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Great footballer, but i always wondered if his natural talent was super enhanced from that little line of white powder.

VAR would of disallowed the hand of god malarky.

RIP DIEGO.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Rudzy said:

Great footballer, but i always wondered if his natural talent was super enhanced from that little line of white powder.

VAR would of disallowed the hand of god malarky.

RIP DIEGO.

Its not a performance enhancing drug, quite the opposite really.  Totally recreational and that would be the charge in sport too, not performance enhancing. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

A special player but a troubled soul. Those of us that love football as something more than just a mundane game surely feel touched by Maradona's passing.

It's not been a good week has it? For those of us who also love Rugby (both codes) the passing of another small but perfect pocket rocket in Christophe Dominici at just forty-eight was also really sad. 

Depression seems to have played a big part in both their lives. Elite sportsmen / women provide us , mere mortals, with memories and tales to tell but once their moment is gone some seem to get lost in melancholia.

Edited by DukeBurgundy
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Its not a performance enhancing drug, quite the opposite really.  Totally recreational and that would be the charge in sport too, not performance enhancing. 

That's what I said Karl at the top of my post, if he hadn't dabbled in the party drugs and party scene, it's frightening to think how good he would have been, on another note, let's have a poll, if Gary Linekar punches the ball in at the other end and England go through, Cheat or Hero, if in 1966, Germany take the lead with a goal that may not have crossed the line and go on to win the World Cup, do we accept it, or does all hell break loose, I think I know the answers, when it goes our way, we grab it with both hands, when it doesn't, then we scream blue murder and robbery, the hypocrisy is comical, if I,m asked what I think of a footballer as a footballer, my answer is not influenced by what I think of them as a person, get over it everyone, flawed genius, but ask the question to those who played with him or against him, they're all in awe, and there's some legendary names amongst that lot 

Kev

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
9 minutes ago, Kev Cane said:

That's what I said Karl at the top of my post, if he hadn't dabbled in the party drugs and party scene, it's frightening to think how good he would have been, on another note, let's have a poll, if Gary Linekar punches the ball in at the other end and England go through, Cheat or Hero, if in 1966, Germany take the lead with a goal that may not have crossed the line and go on to win the World Cup, do we accept it, or does all hell break loose, I think I know the answers, when it goes our way, we grab it with both hands, when it doesn't, then we scream blue murder and robbery, the hypocrisy is comical, if I,m asked what I think of a footballer as a footballer, my answer is not influenced by what I think of them as a person, get over it everyone, flawed genius, but ask the question to those who played with him or against him, they're all in awe, and there's some legendary names amongst that lot 

Kev

Probably the most naturally gifted footballer ever, he was three steps ahead of everyone else around him and had every scenario in his head when he had the ball.

As for cheating, he was probably the most cheated against, some of the punishment he took was brutal. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
30 minutes ago, Kev Cane said:

Kev

Winning by cheating is not ok, at least to me.

Because its accepted as part of the gamesmanship...plenty of sportsman hone that trait.

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Chalky has a point. How often were opposition players instructed to kick Maradona out of the game- there's even a You Tube compilation to wince at.

I rather think If you want to be the best you have to compete harder than anyone else and sometimes that involves highly dubious practices. Sure Maradona got away with the 'hand of God' but so did Thierry Henry when he handballed into the net against my country Ireland . Lester Piggott was known to snatch away the whip of a rival jockey whilst race riding, Tyson bit Hollyfield's ear to try to gain an advantage, Steve smith told his bowlers to doctor the bowl to make it swing whilst Harlequin's coach got the team doctor to cut the eye of a player so he could get his best kicker on to gain a decisive advantage.  

Cheating and dubious practises are part of professional sport. I prefer to remember these great sportsmen (possibly not Tyson) for their skill and for the thrill they bought to us mere mortals.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Sad really that his talent in England is overrided by one instinctive moment in a game against us .

I will forget that moment and marvel at the other goal which was pure artistry and as Chalky stated earlier try to watch the documentary film it shows a different person totally .

It shows in his younger days a shy boy whose talent exploded him into another world which put him into contact with the mafia and the like, who would not be affected by experiences like that.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Shinehead said:

Sad really that his talent in England is overrided by one instinctive moment in a game against us .

I will forget that moment and marvel at the other goal which was pure artistry and as Chalky stated earlier try to watch the documentary film it shows a different person totally .

It shows in his younger days a shy boy whose talent exploded him into another world which put him into contact with the mafia and the like, who would not be affected by experiences like that.

I honestly have not seen his status as probably the greatest football player ever questioned, i am pretty baffled as to why anybody who doesn't love the man is somehow mean spirited and wrong. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Leicester Boy said:

I honestly have not seen his status as probably the greatest football player ever questioned, i am pretty baffled as to why anybody who doesn't love the man is somehow mean spirited and wrong. 

I don’t think he is the greatest ever, Pele for me, he had everything.  I think Messi’s close control is unrivalled.  All the other greats also played in great teams, not the case with Maradona. What does set Maradona apart is or was his ability to virtually single handedly change an unfashionable team into champions, he did it with Argentina and Napoli. He makes other players better and he sees things other players don’t. You just have to see some of the chances he puts on a sixpence for his team mates.  All the greats have or had the ability to influence or change a game and Maradona did it on the biggest stages of all. 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I don’t think he is the greatest ever, Pele for me, he had everything.  I think Messi’s close control is unrivalled.  All the other greats also played in great teams, not the case with Maradona. What does set Maradona apart is or was his ability to virtually single handedly change an unfashionable team into champions, he did it with Argentina and Napoli. He makes other players better and he sees things other players don’t. You just have to see some of the chances he puts on a sixpence for his team mates.  All the greats have or had the ability to influence or change a game and Maradona did it on the biggest stages of all. 

Having seen pele rarely and Maradona quite often in his prime i would just put maradona as the best but that could be a whole other thread.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 minutes ago, Chalky said:

As I said earlier Karl, take Messi out of that Argentina 2014 World Cup Final team and replace him with a prime time Maradona, Argentina win all day, and what he did at Napoli defies description to the point where Napoli fans were going to relatives graves and painting "wake up, see what's happening " 

Kev 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Chalky said:

If you look at his eyes on that close up on a world cup celebration they keep showing, it reveals a man possessed on something.
Not necessarily Cocaine . . .

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 minutes ago, Rudzy said:

If you look at his eyes on that close up on a world cup celebration they keep showing, it reveals a man possessed on something.

He was tested after that game, he'd took performance enhancing drugs and was sent home, in 1986 he was tested after the game with us, along with Terry Butcher, negative obviously, as Karl stated, cocaine is far from performance enhancing 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
19 minutes ago, Kev Cane said:

He was tested after that game, he'd took performance enhancing drugs and was sent home, in 1986 he was tested after the game with us, along with Terry Butcher, negative obviously, as Karl stated, cocaine is far from performance enhancing 

Kev,
No i didn't mention Coke.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Funny how most geniuses (in all walks of life) are flawed. Sportsmen, artists, musicians etc etc. So often the best of the best have 'issues'. 

I suppose thats what makes them different? If they were like the rest of us, then they would be just like the rest of us (if that makes sense). 

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Maradona - met him at ISPO ( World's largest sportswear show ) in Munich in the 80's - Was on the Puma stand - he wore Puma Kings back in the day and was sponsored by them - right old security fuss on his arrival - a superstar and then some. Also saw him in the 1990 World Cup Final in the Olympic stadium in Rome against West Germany. Without doubt the worst Final in history and a massive disappointment but never the less absolutely great to be in the Stadium for such an occasion - still got the photos - 12 of us on a Textile industry beano. We took 12000 t-shirts - yes 12000 - 9000 Germany World Champions / 3000 Argentina World Champions ( they were the defending Champs. - 63 large cases from Luton - Rome customs was a hoot - over 30 trolleys snarled up the airport so I blagged us through by opening one case and saying - Mucho / Morey in others

Actually sold 20

RIP Diego

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 hours ago, Chalky said:

Pele , santos , New York cosmos , hardly great teams

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Vardy Leicester

Shearer Blackburn

One player can make a dramatic change...

What I liked about M was his enthusiasm to run and dribble, and cut through a defence. 

A real anticipation of a goal is going to get scored.

Funnily enough I used to feel the same when Keegan got the ball!

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
18 minutes ago, Monny1916 said:

He won enough titles with Santos, they were a great team in South America.  Not too many went abroad in those days and the Brazilian League was full of star players.  Three World Cup winners medals tells you enough.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Rudzy said:

TBH by that time his career should have been over.  His ankles were shot and in constant agony.  The tackle form the Butcher of Bilboa which broke one of his ankles was a disgrace to football.  Football didn't look after skilful players in those days.  The drugs were probably to get him through games as without them he probably wouldn't last, not that I'm condoning or defending the use.

Imagine what he would do today though if he had the protection players get today? Messi is another who has been kicked from post to post, to his credit he juts gets up and gets on with it, Maradona often lost it and hardly surprising given the brutality he suffered at times.  The same for Pele, '66 the was kicked out of the tournament.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 minutes ago, Chalky said:

TBH by that time his career should have been over.  His ankles were shot and in constant agony.  The tackle form the Butcher of Bilboa which broke one of his ankles was a disgrace to football.  Football didn't look after skilful players in those days.  The drugs were probably to get him through games as without them he probably wouldn't last, not that I'm condoning or defending the use.

Imagine what he would do today though if he had the protection players get today? Messi is another who has been kicked from post to post, to his credit he juts gets up and gets on with it, Maradona often lost it and hardly surprising given the brutality he suffered at times.  The same for Pele, '66 the was kicked out of the tournament.

There is a born in "Agressive Mentality" with a lot of South American players, probably due to their upbringing mixed in with the Hot Weather this can be good one minute or evil the next.

Who was the Argentine player who got sent off in the 66 World Cup against England?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 minutes ago, Vadnochka said:

Argentine captain - Ratin

That's it "Ratin".
His behaviour was outrageous for the time and he DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE THE PITCH.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Just read the Hand of God Game is on tomorrow 17:00 on the bbc sport website, BBC app and IPlayer.#

Hopefully if  dare watch it, I won't be the same as sitting in my flat with three of my best mates in total silence for 30 minutes after the final whistle.  Til someone said sod it lets go to the pub. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Just read the Hand of God Game is on tomorrow 17:00 on the bbc sport website, BBC app and IPlayer.#

Hopefully if  dare watch it, I won't be the same as sitting in my flat with three of my best mates in total silence for 30 minutes after the final whistle.  Til someone said sod it lets go to the pub. 

A Memory Best Forgotten.

maradona-handball-shilton.jpg.01c1acfa7d50f880841a4c300ba7d1e2.jpg

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 hours ago, Monny1916 said:

True at club level, but pele was also part of the greatest team the world has ever seen the 1970 brazil team.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

True at club level, but pele was also part of the greatest team the world has ever seen the 1970 brazil team.

That's where I draw my comparisons between Pele, Messi and Maradona, all who I absolutely love, Messi and Pele had great players around them, Maradona certainly never, a leader of men, a warrior who took teams to punch way above their weight, not only on the world stage, but week in, week out in the then toughest, ruthless and best league in the world, Maradona, by a country mile

Kev 

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

Can't agree more ,, 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 25/11/2020 at 20:29, Winsford Soul said:

My first United away game was the 8-2 at Northampton when Georgie scored six. 

Maradona was out of the same mold. Just not quite as good IMO

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Read in a Swedish paper about a Gothenburg player Johnny Ekström arriving to play for Empoli 1987 naturally nervous playing first time against Maradona's Napoli after WC 86. Diego went over to him pre match wished him welcome to Italy and kept sending him Christmas Cards for years :)  Many sides to Maradona of course but for me the best player I ever seen. Loved that film as well seen it at a proper cinema just before lockdown, what a great time document how much fotball meant more back then as well. 👍

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Just an heads up that the film '' Diego Maradona'' is been shown tonight at 21.30 on channel 4 .

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. More Sad News - Dobby Dobson Passed Away
    All About The Soul by Midnight Drifter on Sat 25 Jul 2020