Jump to content

Another UK northern soul record over a £1000


Tobytyke
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-HOAGY-LANDS-THE-NEXT-IN-LINE-NORTHERN-SOUL-VINYL-RECORD-137/143852646583?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I know it's rare especially on issue but that's a lot of money.

How many UK records go for more than a grand?

Link to comment
Social source share

It's going nuts.The Eptones A love that's real is currently around 1500 dollars.Couple of weeks or so ago the Tony Borders record on Quinvy can't remember the title off the top of my head topped 1300 dollars roughly 1000 pounds.During the summer an equally good copy fetched 300 dollars or thereabouts!!!!

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

4 hours ago, Tobytyke said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-HOAGY-LANDS-THE-NEXT-IN-LINE-NORTHERN-SOUL-VINYL-RECORD-137/143852646583?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I know it's rare especially on issue but that's a lot of money.

How many UK records go for more than a grand?

Not great condition either according to seller's grading.

Link to comment
Social source share

5 hours ago, Julianb said:

I have an black issue with a 'not for sale' sticker on it. Does this count as an issue or a demo?

TIA

thats a shame julian .i,d say its defaced it really.....my own lovely black issue copy is at least ex maybe ex + so in this condition how do i value it?

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

As you now appear to have a defaced issue that's not even a real demo I think it best to step away from the conversation.

🤣😂

Link to comment
Social source share

Not that many of us will be in this position....but if you have 100,000 euros in a citibank account, they will charge you for holding it.

Thats right, no interest, just a cost for holding.

Soo...investing in vinyl may well be a good hedge if you got a few Bob or get an inheritance...

Prices do seem to be moving up constantly.

Ed

Link to comment
Social source share

tony middleton polydor uk issue is a rare piece indeed and i,m not surprised by its final auction price.

i myself have a lovely uk polydor red and white demo copy signed by tony middleton ....some argue that it defaces the label but signed by the artist ,that is rare.what value on this i wonder.

Edited by Stanley
  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

tony middleton polydor uk issue is a rare piece indeed and i,m not surprised by its final auction price.

i myself have a lovely uk polydor red and white demo copy signed by tony middleton ....some argue that it defaces the label but signed by the artist ,that is rare.what value on this i wonder.

Elvis and the beatles etc signed stuff really does bump up the price.

Last time I was in nu yak, in Jan this year, Tony was playing at a mid town hotel. Not sure he has that big a following outside our world.

As long as its not personal, it might appeal to artist collectors more than an unsigned copy.

Ed

Link to comment
Social source share

6 hours ago, Gilly said:

I used to have  UK copy of Queen of Fools issue mint, wonder what that would fetch theses days 

 

I would think it would fetch more than the demo which is also very hard to find

Link to comment
Social source share

I have a signed UK mint copy of Marvin Gaye 'heard it through the grapevine', waddya reckon?. Thing is, it's signed by Billy Ocean, does this detract from the value? 

#askinforafriend 

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Chas said:

I have a signed UK mint copy of Marvin Gaye 'heard it through the grapevine', waddya reckon?. Thing is, it's signed by Billy Ocean, does this detract from the value? 

#askinforafriend 

Well for sure, I bet nobody else has got that combination....was it Billy's own copy?

Ed

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

Funny story. I was DJing at one of the early  'Class of 72' reunion do's and I was on after Kev Roberts.  We're chatting away and he goes to his playbox and he proudly pulls out a UK demo of Barbara Mills to show me. 'Hang on a minute' says I and get my issue copy to show him. End of conversation 😁

  • Up vote 4
Link to comment
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Funny story. I was DJing at one of the early  'Class of 72' reunion do's and I was on after Kev Roberts.  We're chatting away and he goes to his playbox and he proudly pulls out a UK demo of Barbara Mills to show me. 'Hang on a minute' says I and get my issue copy to show him. End of conversation 😁

I got told i was a liar, as it didnt exist. 

Link to comment
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Gilly said:

I got told i was a liar, as it didnt exist. 

Some people eh ?  A few years back I was seeing a therapist as I was worried I was turning into a musical instrument. He said I was a lyre too.

There's a couple at least on Popsike. Here's a link to copy I got last year from Craig Moerer

https://www.popsike.com/BARBARA-MILLS-Queen-Of-Fools-Take-Your-Time-45-UK-rare-Soul/352858675617.html

It was M-.

 

 

 

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Some people eh ?  A few years back I was seeing a therapist as I was worried I was turning into a musical instrument. He said I was a lyre too.

There's a couple at least on Popsike. Here's a link to copy I got last year from Craig Moerer

https://www.popsike.com/BARBARA-MILLS-Queen-Of-Fools-Take-Your-Time-45-UK-rare-Soul/352858675617.html

It was M-.

 

 

 

How are you Rod 

Link to comment
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Some people eh ?  A few years back I was seeing a therapist as I was worried I was turning into a musical instrument. He said I was a lyre too.

There's a couple at least on Popsike. Here's a link to copy I got last year from Craig Moerer

https://www.popsike.com/BARBARA-MILLS-Queen-Of-Fools-Take-Your-Time-45-UK-rare-Soul/352858675617.html

It was M-.

 

 

 

Considering what Craig is charging for 45s currently,  I think he dropped a right bol***k with this one😟

Link to comment
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Gilly said:

How are you Rod 

I've got excessive discharge or build-up of mucus in the nose or throat, associated with inflammation of the mucous membrane. I think it's guitar. O boe not another musical pun !

Fine. Clare caught the virus at work in early October. She's over it and only had minor symptoms. Somehow it missed me completely despite sharing a house and having no idea she had it for 6 days. 

Working my way through Discogs buying lovers rock and streetsoul 12"s cheap, and the odd Northern 45 and album elsewhere. I picked up a M- Danny Wagner 45 off US eBay BIN for $1.50 few weeks back.

Trust you are keeping well. If not I'm a size 9 shoe. Be a shame just to dump them.

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

2 hours ago, Michael V said:

I've got a UK Columbia demo of Rolf Harris' Jake The Peg signed by Jimmy Savile-any idea of value?

... about 12 years I would think 🤣  ... as a known associate!!!!!

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 4
Link to comment
Social source share

On 28/11/2020 at 15:57, Martin Phillips said:

Tony Borders record on Quinvy can't remember the title off the top of my head topped 1300 dollars roughly 1000 pounds.During the summer an equally good copy fetched 300 dollars or thereabouts!!!!

Tony Borders - Mix & Mingle w/ Promise to myself ... 

yes, that totally knocked me out too ... especially since the one before that went away for 300$ a few months ago

Link to comment
Social source share

I have spoken to quite a few uk collectors over the years regarding the prices not reflecting the quality and rarity of British stuff  is it finally possible that the  soul collectors of only US  have woken up to the fact ? 

Never bothered to collect one or the other if I liked it I bought it on whatever format. Uk.  or US  was available to me.  

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

4 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I've got excessive discharge or build-up of mucus in the nose or throat, associated with inflammation of the mucous membrane. I think it's guitar. O boe not another musical pun !

Fine. Clare caught the virus at work in early October. She's over it and only had minor symptoms. Somehow it missed me completely despite sharing a house and having no idea she had it for 6 days. 

Working my way through Discogs buying lovers rock and streetsoul 12"s cheap, and the odd Northern 45 and album elsewhere. I picked up a M- Danny Wagner 45 off US eBay BIN for $1.50 few weeks back.

Trust you are keeping well. If not I'm a size 9 shoe. Be a shame just to dump them.

well you aint lost your humor mate 

Link to comment
Social source share

  • 2 weeks later...

Frankie and Johnny "I'll hold you" UK decca demo went for £1200 yesterday,very quickly too on rare northern soul site. I've seen a few demos but not many issues over the years.

Edited by Tobytyke
Punctuation
  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tobytyke said:

Frankie and Johnny "I'll hold you" UK decca demo went for £1200 yesterday,very quickly too on rare northern soul site. I've seen a few demos but not many issues over the years.

Message to Rod

Got one of these without a 'not for sale' sticker😂

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, Julianb said:

Message to Rod

Got one of these without a 'not for sale' sticker😂

thats the way to have em julian, and a lovely mint demo copy here in the uk collection although the issue is maybe a bit more rare ?

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

thats the way to have em julian, and a lovely mint demo copy here in the uk collection although the issue is maybe a bit more rare ?

You had to go and mention the rarer issue.

I imagine Julian is now a gibbering wreck curled up in a corner wondering where he's been going wrong all these years.

  • Up vote 3
Link to comment
Social source share

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

thats the way to have em julian, and a lovely mint demo copy here in the uk collection although the issue is maybe a bit more rare ?

Bugger it, why did you have to tell me that?😁

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Another to be added to the list.

Shane Martin "I need you" CBS.

£1300+ Manship tonight

Edited by Tobytyke
Punctuation
  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

11 hours ago, Tobytyke said:

Another to be added to the list.

Shane Martin "I need you" CBS.

£1300+ Manship tonight

Is the issue rarer than the demo? - I've not seen many of either. Cue, Modernsoulsucks - Rod always puts me right!👍🤣

Link to comment
Social source share

Shane Martin ...really surprised me with the price it sold for ,not sure if the issue is rarer than demo either.it is rare though ,as hard as the sapphires gotta have your love .  a mint cbs issue here .so happy days !!

Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Shane Martin ...really surprised me with the price it sold for ,not sure if the issue is rarer than demo either.it is rare though ,as hard as the sapphires gotta have your love .  a mint cbs issue here .so happy days !!

Hi George

Only got the UK demo.👍

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Benji said:

link leads to "page not found". Can you share the details?

Scroll down about 1/3 of the page ... thanks to Zanetti for the screengrab.

Click on the pic to enlarge , then click on the new tab it opens and scroll down.

screencapture-raresoulman-co-uk-auction-soul-auction-soul-auction-ending-this-wednesday-html-2021-04-28-19_00_18.png

Edited by Woodbutcher
Link to comment
Social source share

  • 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log in now!
 Share

  1. Another Northern Soul 50, Another Pete Smith Special
    All About The Soul by Pete S on Mon 17 Aug 2015
    • 1 / 1226
    • Pete S on 17 Aug 2015
  2. Another Sunny Sunday! - Another Gospel/soul Game
    Look At Your Box by Godzilla on Sun 11 Jun 2006
    • 10 / 846
    • sunnysoul on 12 Jun 2006
  3. Harry Starr Another Time Another Place
    Record Sales by Marc Forrest on Thu 14 Sep 2006
    • 11 / 1363
    • Gasher on 14 Sep 2006
  4. Another One After Specials - Can´t Find Another
    Record Wants by spinneaussplit on Sat 16 Mar 2013
    • 2 / 468
    • spinneaussplit on 19 Mar 2013
  5. *all Sold Now*harry Starr-another Time, Another Place....+ 2
    Record Sales by CARL D on Tue 29 Oct 2013
    • 2 / 941
    • on 29 Oct 2013
  6. Harry Starr-another Time Another Place-reduced
    Record Sales by dobber on Wed 29 Apr 2015
    • 3 / 1209
    • dobber on 30 Apr 2015
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.