Another UK northern soul record over a £1000

Tobytyke

4 hours ago, Tobytyke said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-HOAGY-LANDS-THE-NEXT-IN-LINE-NORTHERN-SOUL-VINYL-RECORD-137/143852646583?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I know it's rare especially on issue but that's a lot of money.

How many UK records go for more than a grand?

Not great condition either according to seller's grading.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Julianb said:

I have an black issue with a 'not for sale' sticker on it. Does this count as an issue or a demo?

TIA

thats a shame julian .i,d say its defaced it really.....my own lovely black issue copy is at least ex maybe ex + so in this condition how do i value it?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Not that many of us will be in this position....but if you have 100,000 euros in a citibank account, they will charge you for holding it.

Thats right, no interest, just a cost for holding.

Soo...investing in vinyl may well be a good hedge if you got a few Bob or get an inheritance...

Prices do seem to be moving up constantly.

Ed

Social source share

tony middleton polydor uk issue is a rare piece indeed and i,m not surprised by its final auction price.

i myself have a lovely uk polydor red and white demo copy signed by tony middleton ....some argue that it defaces the label but signed by the artist ,that is rare.what value on this i wonder.

Edited by Stanley
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

tony middleton polydor uk issue is a rare piece indeed and i,m not surprised by its final auction price.

i myself have a lovely uk polydor red and white demo copy signed by tony middleton ....some argue that it defaces the label but signed by the artist ,that is rare.what value on this i wonder.

Elvis and the beatles etc signed stuff really does bump up the price.

Last time I was in nu yak, in Jan this year, Tony was playing at a mid town hotel. Not sure he has that big a following outside our world.

As long as its not personal, it might appeal to artist collectors more than an unsigned copy.

Ed

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Chas said:

I have a signed UK mint copy of Marvin Gaye 'heard it through the grapevine', waddya reckon?. Thing is, it's signed by Billy Ocean, does this detract from the value? 

#askinforafriend 

Well for sure, I bet nobody else has got that combination....was it Billy's own copy?

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Funny story. I was DJing at one of the early  'Class of 72' reunion do's and I was on after Kev Roberts.  We're chatting away and he goes to his playbox and he proudly pulls out a UK demo of Barbara Mills to show me. 'Hang on a minute' says I and get my issue copy to show him. End of conversation 😁

I got told i was a liar, as it didnt exist. 

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Gilly said:

I got told i was a liar, as it didnt exist. 

Some people eh ?  A few years back I was seeing a therapist as I was worried I was turning into a musical instrument. He said I was a lyre too.

There's a couple at least on Popsike. Here's a link to copy I got last year from Craig Moerer

https://www.popsike.com/BARBARA-MILLS-Queen-Of-Fools-Take-Your-Time-45-UK-rare-Soul/352858675617.html

It was M-.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Some people eh ?  A few years back I was seeing a therapist as I was worried I was turning into a musical instrument. He said I was a lyre too.

There's a couple at least on Popsike. Here's a link to copy I got last year from Craig Moerer

https://www.popsike.com/BARBARA-MILLS-Queen-Of-Fools-Take-Your-Time-45-UK-rare-Soul/352858675617.html

It was M-.

How are you Rod 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

It was M-.

Considering what Craig is charging for 45s currently,  I think he dropped a right bol***k with this one😟

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Gilly said:

How are you Rod 

I've got excessive discharge or build-up of mucus in the nose or throat, associated with inflammation of the mucous membrane. I think it's guitar. O boe not another musical pun !

Fine. Clare caught the virus at work in early October. She's over it and only had minor symptoms. Somehow it missed me completely despite sharing a house and having no idea she had it for 6 days. 

Working my way through Discogs buying lovers rock and streetsoul 12"s cheap, and the odd Northern 45 and album elsewhere. I picked up a M- Danny Wagner 45 off US eBay BIN for $1.50 few weeks back.

Trust you are keeping well. If not I'm a size 9 shoe. Be a shame just to dump them.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 28/11/2020 at 15:57, Martin Phillips said:

Tony Borders record on Quinvy can't remember the title off the top of my head topped 1300 dollars roughly 1000 pounds.During the summer an equally good copy fetched 300 dollars or thereabouts!!!!

Tony Borders - Mix & Mingle w/ Promise to myself ... 

yes, that totally knocked me out too ... especially since the one before that went away for 300$ a few months ago

Social source share

I have spoken to quite a few uk collectors over the years regarding the prices not reflecting the quality and rarity of British stuff  is it finally possible that the  soul collectors of only US  have woken up to the fact ? 

Never bothered to collect one or the other if I liked it I bought it on whatever format. Uk.  or US  was available to me.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I've got excessive discharge or build-up of mucus in the nose or throat, associated with inflammation of the mucous membrane. I think it's guitar. O boe not another musical pun !

Fine. Clare caught the virus at work in early October. She's over it and only had minor symptoms. Somehow it missed me completely despite sharing a house and having no idea she had it for 6 days. 

Working my way through Discogs buying lovers rock and streetsoul 12"s cheap, and the odd Northern 45 and album elsewhere. I picked up a M- Danny Wagner 45 off US eBay BIN for $1.50 few weeks back.

Trust you are keeping well. If not I'm a size 9 shoe. Be a shame just to dump them.

well you aint lost your humor mate 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Shane Martin ...really surprised me with the price it sold for ,not sure if the issue is rarer than demo either.it is rare though ,as hard as the sapphires gotta have your love .  a mint cbs issue here .so happy days !!

Hi George

Only got the UK demo.👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Benji said:

link leads to "page not found". Can you share the details?

Scroll down about 1/3 of the page ... thanks to Zanetti for the screengrab.

Click on the pic to enlarge , then click on the new tab it opens and scroll down.

screencapture-raresoulman-co-uk-auction-soul-auction-soul-auction-ending-this-wednesday-html-2021-04-28-19_00_18.png

Edited by Woodbutcher
Social source share

• 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!