Another UK northern soul record over a £1000

Tobytyke

On 28/11/2020 at 14:57, Martin Phillips said:

It's going nuts.The Eptones A love that's real is currently around 1500 dollars.Couple of weeks or so ago the Tony Borders record on Quinvy can't remember the title off the top of my head topped 1300 dollars roughly 1000 pounds.During the summer an equally good copy fetched 300 dollars or thereabouts!!!!

The proper Soul version by the Intruders on Gamble is more affordable, about $1490 cheaper !?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

My take on this is that yes it's kinda gratifying that you have some of the 45s that go for big bucks on various auction sites particularly when you've paid a lot less.

However it's the 45s you haven't got that are rising at the same rate which means you can get priced out of collecting.

Totaly agree with you on that Rod,thats why i'm happy with what ive got but called it a day as far as collecting and am spending my money doing my stone cottage up. 

Social source share

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Robbk said:

I got priced out of collecting more than half a life ago!  😜

Knowing you I'm undecided whether you were ahead of the curve or just round the bend.

During lockdown and reaching 69 recently I came to the conclusion that in relation to the cost spending on 45s no longer makes sense.

Took up fishing instead. A learning process. Had the hook in my own lip the other week !

• Up vote 3
Social source share

JM referenced this particular tamla disc as desirable, collectable, in demand, etc as opposed to super rare.

That attracts a different breed of buyer.

The price of the said disc will fluctuate as it floats in and out of the top 50.

There must be a conveyor belt of the next "big" oldie to push and capitalise on its sale value as "those buyers influenced by demand" start bidding.

Not sure its ever been different, just more folks wiser to the sales ploy.

Ed

Social source share

44 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

JM referenced this particular tamla disc as desirable, collectable, in demand, etc as opposed to super rare.

That attracts a different breed of buyer.

The price of the said disc will fluctuate as it floats in and out of the top 50.

There must be a conveyor belt of the next "big" oldie to push and capitalise on its sale value as "those buyers influenced by demand" start bidding.

Not sure its ever been different, just more folks wiser to the sales ploy.

Ed

It will be interesting to see if the Edwin Starr polydor Red and White demo goes the same way. Chris.

Social source share

12 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Knowing you I'm undecided whether you were ahead of the curve or just round the bend.

During lockdown and reaching 69 recently I came to the conclusion that in relation to the cost spending on 45s no longer makes sense.

Took up fishing instead. A learning process. Had the hook in my own lip the other week !

You're an outdoorsman?  Had I known THAT, I'd have invited you on innumerable back-country skiing, peak-climbing, and snow-camping trips!  😜

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I thought it might fetch that price,its been £800 + over the last few years. 

dont know about you chris but i seen more of these in last 5 years than i have in my life.. it must be the 5th one JMs auctioned.. one ore two could be returnees from previous tho..all the polydor demos seem to be rare.. think i only ever saw a couple of jamo thomas

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

dont know about you chris but i seen more of these in last 5 years than i have in my life.. it must be the 5th one JMs auctioned.. one ore two could be returnees from previous tho..all the polydor demos seem to be rare.. think i only ever saw a couple of jamo thomas

Hi Dave,i know my copy was originaly from john before myself.The guy i bought it off was a rock steady collector and he had chance of a rare white label jamaican press,so he let E. Starr go cheep to me as he was desperate to get the other record.Jamo Thomas is very scarce on promo.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I would have thought Polydor and other record labels would have pressed the same number of demo copies of every record they released and then forwarded them on to the same people/ radio stations every time.

Therefore the only reason Jamo Thomas, Edwin Starr etc are "rare" is because they are tucked away in collections never to be seen rather than the number available.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Tobytyke said:

I would have thought Polydor and other record labels would have pressed the same number of demo copies of every record they released and then forwarded them on to the same people/ radio stations every time.

Therefore the only reason Jamo Thomas, Edwin Starr etc are "rare" is because they are tucked away in collections never to be seen rather than the number available.

What Dave was saying is that all polydor red and white promos seem to be scarce and i would agree.I dont think polydor did a promo on everything as i have never seen a promo of either the holidays or the inspirations.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Rictic66 said:

Yes you’re right Wheelsville. I think it was 1966 or possibly sometime in 67 that Polydor stopped A demo copies, but even before then they did limited numbers hence all rare. PT

thats correct . polydor and all the counterpart labels it distributed on di promos for a short time in 65/66

you dont see edwins headline news or girls are getting prettier on uk demos either.. and yes all done in equal runs back in the day

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

thats correct . polydor and all the counterpart labels it distributed on di promos for a short time in 65/66

you dont see edwins headline news or girls are getting prettier on uk demos either.. and yes all done in equal runs back in the day

Thats two more i had forgot about,my copy of E.Starr has a date stamp of 24 april 1966 on it. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

What Dave was saying is that all polydor red and white promos seem to be scarce and i would agree.I dont think polydor did a promo on everything as i have never seen a promo of either the holidays or the inspirations.

That's a strange way for a record company to operate. How would they expect the product to be heard in th first place. It's not surprising they didn't have many soul hit singles 

Social source share

35 minutes ago, Tobytyke said:

That's a strange way for a record company to operate. How would they expect the product to be heard in th first place. It's not surprising they didn't have many soul hit singles 

They were still trying to make headway in 1966 with any kind of music in the uk even though they had been going a few years mainly hitting with orchestral and oompa music😂..  just started date stamping releases.. then the bee gees came along to give them a lift

Social source share

A few more already at 1000 or pushing close

Chubby Checker - You just don't know - Cameo Parkway Demo and probably issue

Jenny Wren - Chasing my dream all over town - Fontana

Darrell Banks - Open the door ... - London Issue or Demo

John Drevars Expression - The closer she gets - MGM Demo

Frankie & Johnny - I'll hold you - Decca Demo

P P Arnold - Everything's gonna be alright - Immediate Demo

UK rarity prices definitely appreciating faster than imports in my opinion

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Timi Yuro - It'll never be over for me - Liberty (i've had 2 of them sold them for 600 each about 8 years ago)

Social source share

44 minutes ago, Bryn said:

jenny wren..never in the creation of man is that £1000..i gave one away once..when did that happen

Social source share

48 minutes ago, Bryn said:

If you can get me a Darrell Banks London Stock copy for £1k i will have it,you are looking at £15k. There is only 1 known copy to exist. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!