Luther Vandross & Anita Baker Wembley concert

I remember going to this but can't remember what year it was.  Been through B&S from 86-90 and can see no ref to it! Starting to think altzeimer's is kicking in! ... was 'sure' it was around 87/88 ... or am I just imagining it?  AB did 2 dates in Oct '88 and Jun '90 at Wembley and LV did several dates Jul 87 and Mar/Apr 89 & Mar '90... but can't see anything for them doing it together!

UPDATE: Just found this on Soulful Detroit which suggest 1988/89 (so not completely 'out of it') ... but still can't see any adverts or anything on Datesheets ... unless she was added last minute to LV's Apr '89 show?

"The Anita/Luther tour was circa 1988/89. I caught one concert, and it was very good. But there was a definite chill in the air. Neither would mention the other's name, and I recall many people being disappointed that there wasn't a duet performed. Of course, after tidbits of what went on came out, a duet couldn't have been performed, as it seemed as if they really disliked each other. But I think Anita said they did make up years later."

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?4609-Anita-Baker-drama-at-Vh1-DIVAS-show

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

If you go to page 28 here, it lists Anita playing 15th and 16th June 1990 at Wembley. Because it only lists one artist you have to search again for Luther but his one shows that on the 12th June he was in California and the 30th June in Washington DC, so he could have flown over in the interim but unlikely. It lists Mariah Carey and Luther jointly but that's it. The set list is there though may bring back a memory?

https://www.setlist.fm/search?page=28&query=Anita+baker

Edited by Timillustrator
Social source share

6 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

If you go to page 28 here, it lists Anita playing 15th and 16th June 1990 at Wembley. Because it only lists one artist you have to search again for Luther but his one shows that on the 12th June he was in California and the 30th June in Washington DC, so he could have flown over in the interim but unlikely. It lists Mariah Carey and Luther jointly but that's it. The set list is there though may bring back a memory?

https://www.setlist.fm/search?page=28&query=Anita+baker

Thanks Tim ... I saw AB in Oct 88 and LV in Apr 89 as I've still got the ticket stubs from Wembley for both gigs but can't find ticket for LV with AB which is strange as would have kept it if I kept the others! Starting to doubt my own memory now!  ... but seem to distinctly recall them being in 'the round' and being aware that they didn't get on - so it's very odd that there doesn't appear to be any record of the show in B&S or even on the web?!  I would have thought it would have been around 87/88 when AB was at her height ... as there is a record of them doing 'The Heat' tour in US.  I think I've got a tape of the show somewhere as I seem to recall it was broadcast on radio (might have been Radio London - Tony Blackburn's show?) - I'll have to have a dig around for it.  Just though one of the knowledgeable people on here may have know from memory.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

Thanks Tim ... I saw AB in Oct 88 and LV in Apr 89 as I've still got the ticket stubs from Wembley for both gigs but can't find ticket for LV with AB which is strange as would have kept it if I kept the others! Starting to doubt my own memory now!  ... but seem to distinctly recall them being in 'the round' and being aware that they didn't get on - so it's very odd that there doesn't appear to be any record of the show in B&S or even on the web?!  I would have thought it would have been around 87/88 when AB was at her height ... as there is a record of them doing 'The Heat' tour in US.  I think I've got a tape of the show somewhere as I seem to recall it was broadcast on radio (might have been Radio London - Tony Blackburn's show?) - I'll have to have a dig around for it.  Just though one of the knowledgeable people on here may have know from memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giving_You_the_Best_World_Tour

Did a bit more searching and it's on Wikipedia (not always the most reliable source but looks legit) 21, 22 and 24 October 1988. With both of them,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giving_You_the_Best_World_Tour

There's a reference but that gives no more info either 

https://www.songkick.com/concerts/6436891-anita-baker-at-sse-arena-wembley

Social source share

There was a report in B&S #521 that LV wouldn't be appearing with her in Oct '89 but it was 'widely reported that he will be accompanying her for a return visit next summer' (1989). He did several dates Mar/Apr 1989, one of which was recorded and released as a 90 min video (without AB).

They both also did dates at Wembley in 1990 - LV Mar 24-30 and AB Jun 15-17 and there are reviews of these in B&S with no mention of the other.

So it's all becoming a bit of a mystery - I'm beginning to doubt my own memory now as have been through B&S from 1987-1990 and there is nothing. It seems almost inconceivable that this event would have gone unnoticed by B&S as these were the top new soul artists to emerge in the 80s.

B&S #521 AB LV.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Daved said:

They never played together in the UK, but they did in the States. I saw Luther 3 times and Anita twice during that period and they were separate gigs. 

OK thanks for that - for some reason I was convinced I'd seen them both at the same time but when I found some old ticket stubs and there wasn't one for them both I started looking through B&S and couldn't find anything so began to wonder - hence the post.  Mind obviously playing tricks after 30 odd years!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!