Small axe lovers rock

Posted

A bit late on this but finally watched the lovers rock episode.

thought it was excellent particulary the extended version of janet kay "silly games" and the general way the whole thing was filmed.

will probably give it another watch.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 9
  • Views 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit late on this but finally watched the lovers rock episode.   thought it was excellent particulary the extended version of janet kay "silly games" and the general way the whole thing was

Done exactly the same - but watched the first one over the weekend .  Watched “Lovers Rock “ on Sat night and boy , did it transport me back in time to Liverpool 8 .. That party was just like a c

Not watched it yet but will do. I have quite a few lovers rock 12"s. My latest buys below. The Paulette I've been after for nearly 40 years but never knew artist or title as the radio dj [Scotsma

Posted (edited)

Not watched it yet but will do.

I have quite a few lovers rock 12"s. My latest buys below. The Paulette I've been after for nearly 40 years but never knew artist or title as the radio dj [Scotsman]  was too busy sending out shouts to all the local ladies to bother telling you half of what he was playing.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Its a genre i know next to nothing about so trying to start now would be impossible.  I will just hear the odd bit here and there but have never tried to properly collect this genre.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Was unaware of the show till this thread, but tracked it down to Amazon Video. On the to watch list now thanks. 👍

I used to really like Lovers Rock, about the same time as Jazz Funk. Also still kept most of my records. 

Carroll Thompson, Dennis Brown and Janet Kay were popular. I also liked The Regulars and Misty in Roots (although a bit more reggae than lovers rock). 

These were some of my favourite records at the time....

Edited by Fish Fingers
Added vid
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I've recorded all the films to date with a view to watching them over the Christmas break.  I've heard that the first episode has some nice Rocksteady tracks, if you like your Jamaican music from a few years earlier.   

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Done exactly the same - but watched the first one over the weekend . 

Watched “Lovers Rock “ on Sat night and boy , did it transport me back in time to Liverpool 8 .. That party was just like a couple of clubs we used to be able to get in as a close mate lived and worked in a private club . The Somali Bar was a bar in three middle of L8 - and run by a lovely older guy with his beautiful wife and big Alsatian dog - Brut. I can remember entering the first time with mate Desmond who worked there and being told “ don’t worry - your a honkey but a honkey with soul and with me - you’ll be fine “. I thought I was , until I thought all hell broke loose when all the bangs went off - and I thought the place was going to turn into a John Wayne bar fight .. 

Turned out it was just Dominos .

And I remember wearing a pair of Red Prince of Wales checked trousers , and low and behold , there on the TV was a guy wearing P of W check jacket . 

Then coming out and going into Sefton Park to climb a tree and get stoned 

What a trip down memory lane .

Cant wait for more - great shout 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 hours ago, Chilli said:

I've recorded all the films to date with a view to watching them over the Christmas break.  I've heard that the first episode has some nice Rocksteady tracks, if you like your Jamaican music from a few years earlier.   

I do enjoy rocksteady still to catch up with that episode.

episode 3 was also a great watch and very different to the lovers rock epidode.

from lovers rock they really caught the intensity of the dance floor with the kunta kinte dub scene.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 07/12/2020 at 20:55, Stevegods said:

Cant wait for more - great shout 

Edited by Simon T
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now