Eddie Foster

John Moffatt

On 11/12/2020 at 10:48, John Moffatt said:

In John Manship’s guide is says

Original first press: there is no Deadwax matrix only the title “I never knew” and “I will wait” in the respective run out of each side.(this is my copy!! )

The original 2nd press There is a very lightly scratched small matrix “IN – 6311”. Beware of the added matrix numbers to the counterfeits

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 15/12/2020 at 07:06, Paul Capon said:

In John Manship’s guide is says

Original first press: there is no Deadwax matrix only the title “I never knew” and “I will wait” in the respective run out of each side.(this is my copy!! )

The original 2nd press There is a very lightly scratched small matrix “IN – 6311”. Beware of the added matrix numbers to the counterfeits

Nobody can know which of the two variations of the original of Eddie Foster was the first off the pressing machine!

The press with the IN 6311 scratched in the run out could of been on first set of stampers!  Then when the second pressing plate stamper was used, they didn't bother scratching the number in!

Nobody can know what order the stampers were used on the run, unless they were in the pressing plant at the time!

As long as the label is a nice dark blue and not speckled.  It is nice quality vinyl and has the titles neatly etched into the runout groove, it's right.  If it's got the IN 6311 etched in or not does not make any difference. Both variations are part of the original release.

Edited by Halogen
Social source share

8 hours ago, Dobber said:

Tit for tat,if it’s dark blue on the IN label, it’s as original as your gonna get,if your gonna  get to picky on absolute original,then I wouldn’t bother buying Uk presses of USA records! Eg...Barbara McNair love my baby 100 quid on absolute original Motown,uk tamla,500 quid,for one could argue second press?

there will hundreds of examples of similar tit for tat detail!

This is so right. 

For example, there are several different original White Demo designs for "Dance, Dance, Dance" by the Casualeers on Roulette. They are all originals and all relatively rare. Which one was first?

James Bounty - "Prove yourself A Lady" - Compass.   3 different originals.  One with R stamped in the runout groove, another with I stamp, then another with H stamp.  All originals!

Nobody can say which one was first off the manufacturing lines, and it's the same with the Eddie Foster 45!

Edited by Halogen
Social source share

On 11/12/2020 at 10:48, John Moffatt said:

Yes, saw this was clearly marked as a second issue. But think it was from the In label and close to the first issue, but who knows. Surprised by the price as well.

SHEEP

Social source share

On 15/12/2020 at 10:37, Dobber said:

Tit for tat,if it’s dark blue on the IN label, it’s as original as your gonna get,if your gonna  get to picky on absolute original,then I wouldn’t bother buying Uk presses of USA records! Eg...Barbara McNair love my baby 100 quid on absolute original Motown,uk tamla,500 quid,for one could argue second press?

there will hundreds of examples of similar tit for tat detail!

thats not true.. there is a bootleg on the dark blue with silver text also..  label has like a mottled effect tho like you can see bits of silver thru the blue but the vinyl looks different to the 2 originals ..has smaller deadwax and the vinyl is thinner with a rounded edge

Edited by Dave Pinch
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

On 15/12/2020 at 10:28, Halogen said:

Nobody can know which of the two variations of the original of Eddie Foster was the first off the pressing machine!

The press with the IN 6311 scratched in the run out could of been on first set of stampers!  Then when the second pressing plate stamper was used, they didn't bother scratching the number in!

Nobody can know what order the stampers were used on the run, unless they were in the pressing plant at the time!

As long as the label is a nice dark blue and not speckled.  It is nice quality vinyl and has the titles neatly etched into the runout groove, it's right.  If it's got the IN 6311 etched in or not does not make any difference. Both variations are part of the original release.

i agree with that .. but the release after which is calvin grayson just has the matrix in the deadwax just like the 2nd  original eddie foster which probably adds fuel to the fire that the one with the title scratched in came first in the eyes of some

Social source share

On 15/12/2020 at 10:51, Halogen said:

This is so right. 

For example, there are several different original White Demo designs for "Dance, Dance, Dance" by the Casualeers on Roulette. They are all originals and all relatively rare. Which one was first?

James Bounty - "Prove yourself A Lady" - Compass.   3 different originals.  One with R stamped in the runout groove, another with I stamp, then another with H stamp.  All originals!

Nobody can say which one was first off the manufacturing lines, and it's the same with the Eddie Foster 45!

they are much wider distributed labels tho with several original variations all over the usa.. dont think the IN releases got distributed outside california

Social source share

The seller’s comment about it being a secind pressing appears to be based on Manship’s description in Priceguide #5. Popsike reveals plenty of sales, mostly without the title in the run-out suggesting this version could actually be a subsequent pressing. The labels of both so-called first and second pressings are identical so I would suggest they were pressed roundabout the same time. Not being an expert on the pressing of LA vinyl, I think the question we should be posing is, did all the copies of this record come of a single pressing machine but with different stampers, or were copies being churned out on two presses simultaneously in the same plant?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

The seller’s comment about it being a secind pressing appears to be based on Manship’s description in Priceguide #5. Popsike reveals plenty of sales, mostly without the title in the run-out suggesting this version could actually be a subsequent pressing. The labels of both so-called first and second pressings are identical so I would suggest they were pressed roundabout the same time. Not being an expert on the pressing of LA vinyl, I think the question we should be posing is, did all the copies of this record come of a single pressing machine but with different stampers, or were copies being churned out on two presses simultaneously in the same plant?

the follow up release calvin grayson has a machine stamp also so different pressing plants may have been used on the west coast altogether

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!