Wilson Pickett Vs Edwin starr

Geeselad

I swore blind I heard this tune at the last Burnley, same backing track as 25 miles, different vocal. forgot about it until recently. I've been playing a few albums of late and came across this by Mr Pickett. Released in 67, two years before Edwin, it certainly has the same instrumental hook, but the reference to numbers in Pickett's tune make it so similar to me. Can't have been a coincidence, surely? 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Geeselad said:

I swore blind I heard this tune at the last Burnley, same backing track as 25 miles, different vocal. forgot about it until recently. I've been playing a few albums of late and came across this by Mr Pickett. Released in 67, two years before Edwin, it certainly has the same instrumental hook, but the reference to numbers in Pickett's tune make it so similar to me. Can't have been a coincidence, surely? 

According to wikipedia Mojo mama was first 25 miles was considered so alike that Bert Berns & Jerry wexler (writers of Mojo Mama) were given writers credits on 25 miles ,Mojo mama also recorded by Don Varner

Social source share

2 hours ago, Bo Diddley said:

Hi, 

Thanks for that, I've never heard the Wilson Pickett before.

Are you sure the record you heard wasn't Don Varner? That was getting some plays a few years back. From the credits it looks like DV was co-writer.

With tear stained face on the other side it’s no wonder this hasn’t been played much even though it is great in its own right.

Edited by Dylan
Social source share

On 12/12/2020 at 18:31, amitwiirly said:

According to wikipedia Mojo mama was first 25 miles was considered so alike that Bert Berns & Jerry wexler (writers of Mojo Mama) were given writers credits on 25 miles ,Mojo mama also recorded by Don Varner

Thanks for the that, didn't realise. Worthy of a mention non the less. 

On 12/12/2020 at 18:30, Bo Diddley said:

Hi, 

Thanks for that, I've never heard the Wilson Pickett before.

Are you sure the record you heard wasn't Don Varner? That was getting some plays a few years back. From the credits it looks like DV was co-writer.

Quite possibly, great version though I think wilson's has it' merits too. 

Social source share

On 12/12/2020 at 16:55, Geeselad said:

DSCF8018.thumb.JPG.1d7e4801a93950e3b11092a10dcff543.JPG

The above is from Mick Patrick's booklet to the excellent Ace CD The Bert Berns Story Vol 2, which explains the similarities between Mojo Mama and 25 Miles. Berns and Wexler wrote Mojo Mama aka 32 Miles Out Of Waycross then Edwin Starr wrote 25 Miles which, by coincidence sounds similar, so  Berns and Wexler got writer credits, and a cut of royalties. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

DSCF8018.thumb.JPG.1d7e4801a93950e3b11092a10dcff543.JPG

The above is from Mick Patrick's booklet to the excellent Ace CD The Bert Berns Story Vol 2, which explains the similarities between Mojo Mama and 25 Miles. Berns and Wexler wrote Mojo Mama aka 32 Miles Out Of Waycross then Edwin Starr wrote 25 Miles which, by coincidence sounds similar, so  Berns and Wexler got writer credits, and a cut of royalties. 

Interesting. The Quinvy single credits "Varner/Crump" as writers. The "Outta Sight" recent(ish) reissue credits "Wexler/Burns"!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!