News: New Book - Our Soul Music Journey

Rushden8

Mate sadly with Amazon you sign an agreement which does not favor independent book sellers , but we hope to distribute some in the future . Appreciate your question and agree totally being our first book its a learning curve  & hopefully more if we get the support   &  a decent  reaction from the soul community ! 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I've just bought the book. I am very much looking forward to reading it, as it has what seems to be a fresh and novel approach to the Scene and I admire the charitable intentions expressed. Good luck to you John. 

Edited by Dim
Puntuatuin
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Thank you mate its appreciated . Any one who reads it please review it . If we have  done a good job ? we will  try to do a Book 2 !

14 hours ago, Dim said:

I've just bought the book. I am very much looking forward to reading it, as it has what seems to be a fresh and novel approach to the Scene and I admire the charitable intentions expressed. Good luck to you John. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Bart Mazzarella  kindly has just sent me this ! 

Thanks, Johnny. There's a lot there, the reliving of our days in the band. I think the thing that made our sound so special was our chemistry. It was so natural to play with these guys. Our drummer, Ronnie Carrubba, would just kick it off and we'd all just start playing, sounding as tight and together as anyone could ask for. I, for one, felt a thrill every time we played. How I miss those days. Our chapter really captures the essence of who the Detroit Soul was all about. We're absolutely proud to be a part of your book.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, fiftyboiledeggs said:

One last thing, but wait a few weeks, email the buyers through Amazon and ask for a review.

Reviews sell things.

Thank you mate it is appreciated . I agree totally and will be very  pro active because the more books sold then ,  we can help the artists listed in the book  more ,  because there struggling . We are so fortunate in Australia & UK to have NH based heath systems . This is my first book and being dyslexic its  a real struggle. I believe due to Amazon privacy rules I will not have access to readers email's ? best John

Social source share

9 hours ago, fiftyboiledeggs said:

John I sell on Amazon, when you get an order now there is a request review button.

But wait, give people a few weeks or people get annyoed

This guy explains it better than me.

https://www.ecomengine.com/blog/amazon-request-a-review-button

Thanks M8 information like this is a big help which are grateful for . Best John

Social source share

On 13/12/2020 at 21:55, Seano said:

Looks interesting. Could do with a bit more to give a flavour of the book (here and on Amazon). Will it be available through other outlets, such as Mark Windle's 'Nickel and a Dime'? Nice to support independent booksellers rather than Amazon if possible, especially in the context of the generous nature of your book's proceeds supporting artists.

Click on the link to access the look inside feature & we wish you all a happy new year 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PPJZDVH

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Our Soul Music Journey by John Warren – NEW BOOK!

PRESS  RELEASE – January 9th, 2021

A brand new book and approach to bringing together the life stories of people in the music scene associated with the phenomenon of Northern Soul!

Devotees around the world will know the impact of a sub-genre of northern soul, which developed out of underground RnB and soul music and where so often obscure releases and B-sides were seized upon by fans concentrated initially in the working north of the U.K. - they created a worldwide underground phenomenon. The lives of northern soul fans started along similar paths in their early youth and on to adulthood, and these stories assembled by John Warren a.k.a. Johnny “Redpants” Warren, document the impact on many individual’s lives and how it has stayed with them over the years.

Many of the heroes and artists iconic to the (originally underground) northern soul scene will be unheard of by the general public and pop music industry, but they may be known to the successful artists on who’s recordings the often sang or played instruments, and occasionally would be given the chance to try for the big time on a solo release. Moreover, so many artists evolved through pop music genres changed their profile and musical styles to embrace the transition, from doowop and pop to disco and contemporary RnB. But, there were many more who fell by the wayside and drifted off into obscurity, never realizing how their forgotten recording was changing hands for thousands of dollars and also making them legends among record collecting devotees and northern soul fans.

For example Gloria Jones, who was Marc Bolan’s partner, unknowingly long enjoyed packed dance floors in the northern soul scene with her original single “Tainted Love’ (changing hands for dizzy prices), which only became fully known to the world when Soft Cell released it as a massive pop hit, but she had moved on musically! By contrast some artists were stunned to realize how they were icons in an unknown world (sadly so many that have now passed never were afforded that satisfaction). “She’ll Come Running Back” on FIP Records (a tiny label out of Chicago) was recorded by Mel Britt and did little outside of local interest. Mel had toured with Jr. Walker, opening for Diana Ross in Las Vegas, appeared on "Soul Train", and appeared on the soundtrack for the movie "Animal House," yet after that the music industry didn’t do much for him. Then the northern soul community discovered the recording and the single started changing hands for as much as $2,000, packing dance floors, and yet Mel knew nothing of his success in a far off land. That is until DJ and music maker Ian Levine featured him in a collection of videos “The Strange World Of Northern Soul.” Later, in 2009, in his twilight years, Mel was brought to tears during a convention of soul fans in Chicago through SoulTrip USA. Coach-loads of fans met the Mel on a cold and dreary night in a car park and instantly raised over $400.00 with a spontaneous collection. Mel was disheveled and in poor health, walking with the assistance of a cane, but had his spirts elevated by Kev Roberts organizer of the SoulTrip USA series of conventions. He attended events during that convention joining in with fans. During the convention, while signing autographs, his record was played and over 200 fans clapped simultaneously which prompted Mel to sing along adding to the delight of the assembled multitude. He shook as many hands as he could and accepted hugs and as the song faded out he was overcome with emotion. It was at that point, as several fans recounted, that Mel finally got to witness firsthand and understand what his song meant to his real fans! That is also similar to each story told in the 24 chapters of “Our Soul Music Journey.” Told by people who were there, in their own words.

Over the last couple of decades too many artists died in impoverished conditions, many in ill health and never realizing the impact their music had on die hard soul fans. Often struggling in the twilight of their years and sometimes wondering if their efforts amounted to anything. This has long bothered many soul fans and while their recordings can change for small fortunes they seldom see and returns. Numerous fans have discussed over the years the ability to dignify and somehow help the artists they’ve admired when realizing how desperate some artists have become. Prompted by these thoughts author John Warren assembled a series of stories that both show the influence the artist’s music has had on their lives and attempt to help with the artists individual circumstances.

In this, his first book “Our Soul Music Journey,” Mr. Warren assembled 24 chapters written by fans, musicians and artists, chronicling how diverse yet strangely similar their stories are! In each story the eerie similarity echoes a deep and common appreciation. From the discovery of northern soul music through clandestine gatherings to how that music has sustained them throughout their lives. It’s uncanny how so many say the same thing in different words, yet share the same and often exact feelings. Each story walks the reader through parts of their lives to current circumstances and reflects the love and profound appreciation for artists, in many cases shunned by the pop world. Without doubt the effort to help selected artists is reflected in the books commitment to try to provide some aid to those artists, wherein author John Warren has committed a portion of the funds collected from the sale of the book to be given to the selected artists. “It’s hard when struggling artists see their work changing hands for thousands of dollars and being told how great their effort was, and then to learn that they made so little from their recordings in so many cases,” says Mr. Warren. The initial impact of the book, though only weeks old in release, has prompted many more contributors to already begin submitting stories for another book. The reaction by many readers also reflects the heartwarming contents of these first 24 chapters, which does not rely on tell-all or sensationalised stories, but instead unifies in the love of the music, in the same way the original interest and popularity of this underground movement first started.

“Our Soul Music Journey” is exactly what it states, a journey by individuals along similar interest from diverse paths, culminating in the title of the song by Timi Yuro (another an iconic song in the scene) “It’ll Never Be Over For Me.”

ENDS

“Our Soul Music Journey” published independently through Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Our-Soul-Music.../dp/B08PPJZDVH

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Our-Soul-Music-Journey-103730417994402/

Author John Warren: https://www.amazon.com/Mr.-John-Warren/e/B08QDF71DH...

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Book 2 "Our Soul Music Journeys" 338 Pages

Foreword by Dennis Locantore Introduction Steve Bardsley

Contents

Chapter 1 Jan Lisewski ( Eulogy) by John Warren

Chapter 2 Paul Stuart Davies 2015 ‘Northern Soul Survivors

Chapter 3 Ronnie Canada by Paul Mason

Chapter 4 Lisa Boogaloo – My Journey

Chapter 5 George Wallace & Maureen Wallace Soul Travels Scotland

Chapter 6 Joan Bosson I Never Went To Wigan

Chapter 7 Paul & Gill Feeney Northern Soul Story

Chapter 8 Dana Smart Mixtape Memories

Chapter 9 Steve Trindall 55 Year Northern Soul Story

Chapter 10 Nay Nasser USA Soul Story

Chapter 11 Tony Gallagher My Soul Music Journey Chapter 12 Dennis Locantore The Ronnie Walker Story Part 2

Chapter 13 Izumi Sawamoto The Naked Restaurant Japan

Chapter 14 Mark Speakman Story Part 2

Chapter 15 Bob Norman Story

Chapter 16 Nettie My Soul Story

Chapter 17 Simon Bayliss Soul On The Dole

Chapter 18 Barry Simpson The Man In The Suitcase

Chapter 19 Jayne Hulme All Aboard The Global Express Robert Paladino The Impact Of Northern Soul

Chapter 21 Paul Stuart Davies Kim Weston & Gloria Jones

Chapter 22 Pat Gwinn It’s The Story That Never Ends

Chapter 23 Steve Bardsley The People And The Places

Chapter 24 John Warren The Runaway Train

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!