Cholli Maye - who was she?

Ljblanken

1 hour ago, Ljblanken said:

I dug out my copy of "never get away" over the weekend. I love her voice. 

Did she record anything else? I can't find anything under that name.

I've never seen the name "CholIi Maye" on another record, but I know I've heard her voice on several different records.  I'd bet the family farm that she was a member of a couple New York Metro Area-based girls groups.  The Cholli Maye cuts were written by Charlie Callelo, and published by Franki Valli's and Charlie Callelo's Valbo Music.  It has the sound of the 1963-65 Linzer-Randell-Artie Ripp-Bob Crewe New York Girl's Group Sound.  Interestingly, when I googled "What was singer, Cholli Maye's birth name?", The Cholli Maye record came up, together with a record by Margie Anderson, and one by The Janettes.  The Janettes' lead voice was different from Cholli's, but maybe the latter was a member of that group.  I'm going to listen to several songs sung by Margie Anderson, to hear if the voices match.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Robbk said:

I've never seen the name "CholIi Maye" on another record, but I know I've heard her voice on several different records.  I'd bet the family farm that she was a member of a couple New York Metro Area-based girls groups.  The Cholli Maye cuts were written by Charlie Callelo, and published by Franki Valli's and Charlie Callelo's Valbo Music.  It has the sound of the 1963-65 Linzer-Randell-Artie Ripp-Bob Crewe New York Girl's Group Sound.  Interestingly, when I googled "What was singer, Cholli Maye's birth name?", The Cholli Maye record came up, together with a record by Margie Anderson, and one by The Janettes.  The Janettes' lead voice was different from Cholli's, but maybe the latter was a member of that group.  I'm going to listen to several songs sung by Margie Anderson, to hear if the voices match.

Awesome. I am glad you are on the case! 

I love this style of singing/production so feel free to recommend anything you come across doing your efforts! (with or without Cholli Maye)

Social source share

After listening to several cuts by Blues, Jazz and Gospel singer Margie Anderson, who was big throughout the 1950s, and is likely to have been much older than Cholli Maye, I've come to the conclusion that Cholli was NOT Ms. Anderson.  The Janettes sound, from 1962-63, is roughly in the same NY Girls Group genre as Cholli Maye's 1964 gem (which is when the big change to a more modern sound (Phil Spector,Leiber/Stoller, Barry/Greenwich, Goffin/King, Mann/Weil, etc.) occurred.  So, I think that Cholli could have been a member of The Janettes.  She was likely to have also been a member of one or two more New York groups.  And, of course, it's very possibly that she also recorded as a soloist under another name, including, possibly, her birth name.  But, unfortunately, my not being well versed on how search engines work, I'm not the best candidate to find information on her doing Internet searches.

Social source share

7 minutes ago, The Yank said:

One thing is for sure, Cholli was not a male singer as this Cashbox review seems to suggest - 

cholli.jpg

Yeah that is weird - must be a type. This is not even close to being a male (as opposed to someone like Tut Sutton - who I assumed to be a female until someone on SS posted a pic of him!)

Social source share

I read the comments on all the you Tube postings of her Gold Record, and MANY of the poster claim they "heard" that Cholli was really Shirley Alston backed by the rest of The Shirelles.  But I think that is a lot of people mentioning that because they saw a lot of other comments stating that, and it is all from one, original incorrect guess.  I think Cholli's voice is far, FAR away from Shirley's, and the background group on Cholli Maye's "You'll Never Get Away" is much, much better at harmony, and more full-sounding than The Shirelles were on most of their cuts.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Here's The Janettes' "He's Crying Inside" from late 1962-early 1963: 

The lead is a lot closer to Cholli Maye's voice than that of Shirley Alston, but Cholli's seems quite a bit deeper.  But singers are certainly capable of singing in deeper or higher registers.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I read the comments on all the you Tube postings of her Gold Record, and MANY of the poster claim they "heard" that Cholli was really Shirley Alston backed by the rest of The Shirelles.  But I think that is a lot of people mentioning that because they saw a lot of other comments stating that, and it is all from one, original incorrect guess.  I think Cholli's voice is far, FAR away from Shirley's, and the background group on Cholli Maye's "You'll Never Get Away" doesn't sound as tight harmonically as the Shirelles did.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

You know who would probably know the answer to this? Dick Vivian from Rooky Ricardos records in SF. That guy knows so much about girly soul and girl group stuff. He used to turn me on to so many records like that back in the 90s. Too bad he is not up on any social media (that I know of).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!