Introduction of Strings into Soul Music

Paulmc

Anybody performed any research when Strings were introduced to soul music if the form of a violin string arrangement.

Motown and Ric Tic used musicians from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Strings can also be found in Chicago recordings of the Impressions. So it wasn't just Detroit.

Its puzzling me how Soul Music evolved with violin strings, what were the first recordings? Who were the arrangers that brought in these instruments.

Any help appreciated.   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Bo Diddley said:

It depends if you class "The Drifters" -  There Goes My Baby, as Soul. That was 1958. 

I remember it being out in 1959.  Was it really recorded as early as 1958???

I just looked it up.  It was recorded on March 6, 1959, and not released until late April.  What a weird memory I have!  Half the time I can't remember my own name, how to walk or talk, and yet I can remember when songs came out over 60 years ago.  I remember loving "There Goes My Baby" BECAUSE of the sweet strings, and that most of the R&B music on the radio in 1958 had gone WAYYY-YYYY downhill from its height in 1953-54, each year.  '58 was the WORST!  -until FUNK started bumping all the sweet Soul (except Motown) off the radio in 1966.  The new Drifters' style was a breath of fresh air, and started the transition of "R&B" to "Soul".

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I just looked it up.  It was recorded on March 6, 1959, and not released until late April.  What a weird memory I have!  Half the time I can't remember my own name, how to walk or talk, and yet I can remember when songs came out over 60 years ago.  I remember loving "There Goes My Baby" BECAUSE of the sweet strings, and that most of the R&B music on the radio in 1958 had gone WAYYY-YYYY downhill from its height in 1953-54, each year.  '58 was the WORST!  -until FUNK started bumping all the sweet Soul (except Motown) off the radio in 1966.  The new Drifters' style was a breath of fresh air, and started the transition of "R&B" to "Soul".

You're right Rob - please excuse the pre-festive brain fade!

Social source share

Strings were there from the start with them on early Jackie Wilson, Little Willie John, Roy Hamilton, Clyde McPhatter and other records. The pop end of R&B would often sweeten the songs with strings if budgets allowed.

They were established in the popular song form strongly already and natural to include if the budget allowed. Sinatra's era at Capitol in mid-late 50s was very popular with lots of strings, as were other leading popular singers from the swing/showtune/light opera influences popular at the time (alongside early rock and roll).

I feel sometimes it is the Gospel end of early Soul that gets most emphasis but pop music was a big influence too via doo-wop and other aspects.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 15/12/2020 at 16:02, The Yank said:

I would say the Drifters "There Goes My Baby" definitely started the trend of strings in Soul Music. But, there were earlier examples like this from 1956 - 

I just looked this song up on Wikipedia, apparently the piano on the session was played by 11-year-old Barry White. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Thinksmart said:

Strings were there from the start with them on early Jackie Wilson, Little Willie John, Roy Hamilton, Clyde McPhatter and other records. The pop end of R&B would often sweeten the songs with strings if budgets allowed.

They were established in the popular song form strongly already and natural to include if the budget allowed. Sinatra's era at Capitol in mid-late 50s was very popular with lots of strings, as were other leading popular singers from the swing/showtune/light opera influences popular at the time (alongside early rock and roll).

I feel sometimes it is the Gospel end of early Soul that gets most emphasis but pop music was a big influence too via doo-wop and other aspects.

Several of The Platters' mid-to-late '50s hits had luxurious strings, and so did The Flamingos' cuts for Decca, and The Five Keys at Capitol, and Jesse Belvin at RCA, and Brook Benton with Epic and Mercury.

Social source share

On 15/12/2020 at 18:10, Robbk said:

Ah, your memory works just right!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!