JMAuction - 16/012/2020 - Results

Zanetti

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks for posting as always.

Never even heard that version of i don't need no doctor by Joshie Jo Armstead.  

Metro,s for gods sake when are these stupid people going to wake up. Its not and never will be a auction record in that format.  

Well, I tend to agree it's more a set sale record. But why blaming the people who bid on it rather than the one putting it up for auction in the first place..?

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Common as muck... Can buy it any and every month on eBay.

Not in this condition, though..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Midnight Drifter said:

Well, I tend to agree it's more a set sale record. But why blaming the people who bid on it rather than the one putting it up for auction in the first place..?

Not in this condition, though..

Its a combination of the seller, buyer and auctioneers. the buyers  are generally people who want instant result rather than looking for things themselves.  

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Dean Parrish - WOWEE! Jerry Williams - gobsmacked. Generation - baffled. Set Sale items went for book-prices, give-or-take. Still the best auction on the planet by far - other auctioneers can only look on with envy. Here’s wishing John and his staff a merry lock-in💰🥳💃🕺

Ditto about Dean Parrish amazing price but you're right JMs auction is a world leader , i recon the Carstairs will be another high flyer next week. 

Dav.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 16/12/2020 at 20:54, Davey S said:

i recon the Carstairs will be another high flyer next week. 

Dav.

It is a true original on the Sterling stamped white demo.   Red Coach and distributed by Chess/GRT.

The pink issues were only made after it was big on the Northern Scene.    These were on Red Coach distributed by Red Lite.  Some kind of special product repress!   Looks like most were shipped to the UK. Thats why there were hundreds of them in sales boxes, for the price of a pressing, in the mid to late 70's.

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Halogen said:

It is a true original on the Sterling stamped white demo.   Red Coach and distributed by Chess/GRT.

The pink issues were only made after it was big on the Northern Scene.    These were on Red Coach distributed by Red Lite.

They were all shipped to the UK, and thats why there were hundreds of them is sales boxes, for the price of a pressing, in the mid to late 70's.

I have only ever found the original white demo's in the USA.  For such a common pink issue, I have never found one in the USA. 

But the demo is hardly rare itself and is seen for sale on a pretty regular basis

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

But the demo is hardly rare itself and is seen for sale on a pretty regular basis

Ownership seems to be the main priority nowadays hence silly prices and if someone wants it bad enough they will pay .

Regarding the Pink issues pretty certain John Anderson was involved and they are less than legit ???  .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Davey S said:

Ownership seems to be the main priority nowadays hence silly prices and if someone wants it bad enough they will pay .

Condition, condition, condition... We have entered a new era. There are now millionaires bidding for these trophies, so objective values become totally irrelevant. If the record is mint enough to be reproduced, the owner possesses a commercial asset to make ‘legal’ reissues for financial gain. Keep an eye out for a lookalike release of Dean Parrish on the Scam label soon to be be available for £29.99.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

23 hours ago, Benji said:

seems like many are spending their christmas bonus on treating themselves with a nice 45.

I'm a bit out of touch with today's prices for US 45s but most of the records I've seen countless times on lists as set sale items.

I can't get over the 2.2k for the Armstead acetate. I mean, it looks and sounds like a publisher's acetate. Meant as a guideline of how the song writers intended the song to be sung. Is it really Joshie Jo Armstead? I doubt. For that price there must be something in the record I just don't get. Maybe there's some hidden message if you play it backwards, like hints leading to the ark of covenants?

Yes it is a publishers acetate (Flo-Mar) and yes it is almost certainly Jo Armstead who worked there with Ed Silvers, Artie Wayne and Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson. As it is a female vocal the only other possibility within Flo Mar is Val Simpson, and although she did do imitations of how she imagined songs being sung, this sounds lime Armstead. 

Social source share

35 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Now that would be interesting to see what prices they quote. Isnt one of the experts supposedly  into soul big time.  

They would only use the resources available to them and unless they are into the music and follow the fickle nature of record sales then tbh their valuation couldn’t be taken seriously.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

A prime example of the way things are... In February of this year I won the JM auction for a mint Kenny Shepard "What Difference Does It Make" for £300. 

Last month in the JM auction a copy went at £566.

Nearly doubled in 9 months!!! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Dim said:

A prime example of the way things are... In February of this year I won the JM auction for a mint Kenny Shepard "What Difference Does It Make" for £300. 

Last month in the JM auction a copy went at £566.

Nearly doubled in 9 months!!! 

£300 was probably twice its current price

Social source share

16 hours ago, Chalky said:

Absolutely barmy

One sold for £370 VG+ on Discogs in March this year

18 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Dean Parrish  £865....have I just sleep walked into some twilight zone. Surely someone will kick me soon and I'll wake up. 🤪

I do know that some dealers are buying off Discogs and re-selling later ?

Social source share

On 18/12/2020 at 12:15, Blackpoolsoul said:

I do know that some dealers are buying off Discogs and re-selling later ?

That’s fairly common I would have thought with collector-dealers grabbing bargains to sell on to fund their hobby.

Of more concern is the major dealer ‘intercepting’ eBay auction items, purely for resale. One dealer currently has a Larry Allen, Clifford Binns and Billy Arnell for re-sale at inflated prices. I reserve comment on this leaving readers to draw their own conclusions...

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

That’s fairly common I would have thought with collector-dealers grabbing bargains to sell on to fund their hobby.

Of more concern is the major dealer ‘intercepting’ eBay auction items, purely for resale. One dealer currently has a Larry Allen, Clifford Binns and Billy Arnell for re-sale at inflated prices. I reserve comment on this leaving readers to draw their own conclusions...

Larry Allen one of those records that is musically and vocally all over the place but is somehow still a cracking record.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Larry Allen one of those records that is musically and vocally all over the place but is somehow still a cracking record.

Very true. But probably not even a thousand pounds worth, especially with writing on the label. I also thought L. Allen was the first issue then Larry Allen came next; there was a thread on this record a year or two ago.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Martin Phillips said:

I know the seller to whom you refer who has the Larry Allen Clifford Binns and Billy Arnell.He sold a  promo copy of Detroit Sounds of Friction,I'm Leaving You  recently in mint condition for 3,250 pounds within a few hours of listing it!!

Right on. I saw the advert. I don’t recall it being auctioned in the first place so it possibly isn’t a re-sale item, who knows? As a minter though, it could be perfect for copying and pressing on a private label. I would be extremely interested know the names of the six lucky owners of this record in the white DJ format.

Ward Burton hung around for a week or so before being sold - a few of these have sold on eBay auctions this year.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Seen those. the going rate,  nearly treble on Larry Allen.  There I've said it.😁

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Seen those. the going rate,  nearly treble on Larry Allen.  There I've said it.😁

Ah, but none will sell at the prices quoted, and certainly not with label vinyl damage. I can’t see too many collectors wanting to negotiate cash-trades deals either as the prices are way too high and therefore totally unrealistic.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

It's uncanny the number of times you see two extremely rare records materialise suddenly with the same seller!
  Interestingly with the Detroit Sounds of Friction and this is speculation there was a copy on Discogs for sale white promo three or four months ago the seller from Canada described if I remember correctly as being vg+ touching on mint minus price around 2000 pounds..........I wonder if that's the same copy???
       Also  John Tucker just listed for sale  here a great record incidentally and  two  appeared on an experienced  American seller's list one much better than the other and I'd never seen a copy of that surface before In fact just as I was pressing buy somebody beat me to the punch!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Are we talking about Rare Northern Soul site ? Isn't Allen around £600 usually ?

To be honest I don't see any big deal about this. I'd assumed anyway that dealers got involved when rarities came up for auction.

No different to us casual buyers and sellers who pick up stuff to re-sell off eBay.

I guess their own sales experience will tell them if eventually they'll turn a profit.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Martin Phillips said:

It's uncanny the number of times you see two extremely rare records materialise suddenly with the same seller!
  Interestingly with the Detroit Sounds of Friction and this is speculation there was a copy on Discogs for sale white promo three or four months ago the seller from Canada described if I remember correctly as being vg+ touching on mint minus price around 2000 pounds..........I wonder if that's the same copy???
       Also  John Tucker just listed for sale  here a great record incidentally and  two  appeared on an experienced  American seller's list one much better than the other and I'd never seen a copy of that surface before In fact just as I was pressing buy somebody beat me to the punch!!!

I had a listen to that Tucker 45.

Handbag beat with one of the worst vocals I've ever heard.

Social source share

On 17/12/2020 at 10:34, Chalky said:

agree..  its only really started to be half/rare or unavailable in recent years..it was easy enough to get for 35 years and anyone who was on the scene actively buying original vinyl knows that

Social source share

4 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

agree..  its only really started to be half/rare or unavailable in recent years..it was easy enough to get for 35 years and anyone who was on the scene actively buying original vinyl knows that

That's why I said in my original post, relatively rare, and not just rare!

They weren't giving the Carstairs white demo originals away in soul packs, that's for sure!😏

I think there are more about now than 35 years ago. It was not particularly common then. I can't remember Soul Bowl having them for sale often, except very occasionally on the rarities section!

I don't think only ultra rare records should be on auction.     If only real rarities are listed, it makes it too easy for those who have too much money, to get everything with minimal effort!

Edited by Halogen
Social source share

4 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Are we talking about Rare Northern Soul site ? Isn't Allen around £600 usually ?

To be honest I don't see any big deal about this. I'd assumed anyway that dealers got involved when rarities came up for auction.

No different to us casual buyers and sellers who pick up stuff to re-sell off eBay.

I guess their own sales experience will tell them if eventually they'll turn a profit.

Yes, it’s the rare northern soul and reissues site.

It is a big deal when you are underbidder on a record that re-appears a month later and the price has jumped £100 or 33%. It becomes more of a big deal when US dealers start emulating the prices of the UK mark-up merchants.

I don’t see John Manship, Tim Brown, Pat Brady, etc bidding on auction items for resale. Most major dealers acquire their stock in a variety of other ways.

Regular collectors are the bottom-feeders, picking up cheapies to sell on, higher value records for trades or upgrades, and occasionally a big ticket item to hang on to.

Perhaps I’m talking through my pocket here, but the bulk of record collectors resent being asked to pay exorbitant prices and dislike the inflationary forces at work.

Edited by Frankie Crocker
typo
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

It is a big deal when you are underbidder on a record that re-appears a month later and the price has jumped £100 or 33%. It becomes more of a big deal when US dealers start emulating the prices of the UK mark-up merchants.

I don’t see John Manship, Tim Brown, Pat Brady, etc bidding on auction items for resale. Most major dealers acquire their stock in a variety of other ways.

Regular collectors are the bottom-feeders, picking up cheapies to sell on, higher value records for trades or upgrades, and occasionally a big ticket item to hang on to.

Perhaps I’m talking through my pocket here, but the bulk of record collectors resent being asked to pay exorbitant prices and dislike the inflationary forces at work.

Edited by Frankie Crocker
typo
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

I'd imagine it's momentarily annoying when you notice the exact record you lost  appearing elsewhere for more than the winning bid but I don't think it's anything new. And that's not only confined to big ticket items.

As Halogen said price guides really f**ked it.

Most collectors I know don't resent the prices asked. They'll buy something else or wait till item comes up at a reasonable price.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I'd imagine it's momentarily annoying when you notice the exact record you lost  appearing elsewhere for more than the winning bid but I don't think it's anything new. And that's not only confined to big ticket items.

As Halogen said price guides really f**ked it.

Most collectors I know don't resent the prices asked. They'll buy something else or wait till item comes up at a reasonable price.

I wonder how many collectors who were active from the past in any other eras are still as active now?

the one big advantage you would have with a strong collection is the ability to trade and not have to pay the current prices.

or is this spike down to new buyers

Edited by Dylan
Social source share

2 hours ago, Halogen said:

That's why I said in my original post, relatively rare, and not just rare!

They weren't giving the Carstairs white demo originals away in soul packs, that's for sure!😏

I think there are more about now than 35 years ago. It was not particularly common then. I can't remember Soul Bowl having them for sale often, except very occasionally on the rarities section!

I don't think only ultra rare records should be on auction.     If only real rarities are listed, it makes it too easy for those who have too much money, to get everything with minimal effort!

there was a lot of stock around early mid 90s.. anglo had copies and you could have gone down to see the likes of andy dyson and get one any time you wanted

Edited by Dave Pinch
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!