Hamilton Movement

Have we all seen the latest bid on the Hamilton Movement......£2019 with around 23 hours to go,hey i like the track but i'd rather spend £1500 on Chuck Cockerham ..................... laugh.gif

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Have we all seen the latest bid on the Hamilton Movement......£2019 with around 23 hours to go,hey i like the track but i'd rather spend £1500 on Chuck Cockerham ..................... laugh.gif

link

It's like i sad the other day Brett, It's silly season.....sanity won't return until after new year....and then again maybe it won't thumbsup.gif

To me it sounds like a £25 record !, if i was going to fork out that kind of money, it would have to be for something of much higher quality... :(

Social source share

It's like i sad the other day Brett, It's silly season.....sanity won't return until after new year....and then again maybe it won't  thumbsup.gif

To me it sounds like a £25 record !, if i was going to fork out that kind of money, it would have to be for something of much higher quality... laugh.gif

link

Feel certain John that with a bit of detective work and a few dozen phone calls you could secure this 45 for a whole lot less.........but what the hell do i know :(

Social source share

link

Kinnell Brett, to each his own and that, but that Chuck Cockerham sounds like a soul pack reject...£1500 would buy you 150 x £10 records all of which would be better than that crap. In my opinion.

Social source share

link

If young Tommy is reading this, do you remember playing this to a 200+ dance floor at Prestwich some years ago, & reducing it to 3 people, the same as happened with Bill Bush if i remember correctly. Good times, eh son. laugh.gif Ady.

Social source share

If young Tommy is reading this, do you remember playing this to a 200+ dance floor at Prestwich some years ago, & reducing it to 3 people, the same as happened with Bill Bush if i remember correctly. Good times, eh son. laugh.gif     Ady.

link

Looks like they have good taste at Prestwich then laugh.gif

Social source share

Feel certain John that with a bit of detective work and a few dozen phone calls you could secure this 45 for a whole lot less.........but what the hell do i know thumbsup.gif

link

Let me know how the detective work gets on laugh.gif About 25 of these turned up, all from same source. Admittedly most went to DJs and probably the reason why it got heard so much.

If you think the record is bad you should see the photo of the group :(

Social source share

Let me know how the detective work gets on laugh.gif   About 25 of these turned up, all from same source.  Admittedly most went to DJs and probably the reason why it got heard so much.

If you think the record is bad you should see the photo of the group  laugh.gif

link

BTW I think it should be a grand. Know of one sold last few months for that. In fact it was sold pretty easily.

Social source share

Let me know how the detective work gets on :thumbsup:   About 25 of these turned up, all from same source.  Admittedly most went to DJs and probably the reason why it got heard so much.

If you think the record is bad you should see the photo of the group  :D

link

Oh fcuk me.

It's not that friggin' Steve again is it???? :D:(:)

Tony

Social source share

Not that anyone gives a monkeys', I think it's a great record, one I'd love to have in my collection. But then again I love Bobby Womack, and this could easily have been from his stable a la 'Something For My Swede' (Yorkshire Mix) 'Home Is Where Ar Lass Is' (Yorkshire Mix)

But at £2k that is not very likely. Maybe I'll get one for $10 'Buy It Now' on ebay, and if I do, I'll come on here and brag like a bloated child that I got it for $2.

And with that he was gone....... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Not that anyone gives a monkeys', I think it's a great record, one I'd love to have in my collection. But then again I love Bobby Womack, and this could easily have been from his stable a la 'Something For My Swede' (Yorkshire Mix) 'Home Is Where Ar Lass Is' (Yorkshire Mix)

But at £2k that is not very likely. Maybe I'll get one for $10 'Buy It Now' on ebay, and if I do, I'll come on here and brag like a bloated child that I got it for $2.

And with that he was gone....... :thumbsup:

link

whats wrong with Bobby Womack ? sooooo many great records on 45 and LP !!

Social source share

This record is sooooo overrated. It's nice, but anybody wanting to spend more than a ton needs some serious therapy. Another prime example of the Northern scene's "King's new clothes" mentality, not to mention the "knowing the price of everything and value of nothing" syndrome. Just look at some of the ridiculous comments about the Four Vandals on another thread.

Like Pottsy said, as soon as the dancers cotton on, the sheep move in and throw their money about. Still, it keeps Ady in beer vouchers!! Good on him, I say.

Social source share

whats wrong with Bobby Womack ? sooooo many great records on 45 and LP !!

link

Headsy you Nutter!!!! :)

Have you not read my post? I furkin lurrrve Bobby, and was complimenting Hamilton Movement on sounding like the man himself.

It was self-effacing humour that I used on the song titles, me being a thick Yorkie and all that :D

My fave Bobby track at the mo' is 'Tried & Convicted' on Minit. Oh yes, that tempo & his voice = perfection.

And what more do you want for £15-£20? Romance?

See you soon fella,

Jamie :thumbsup:

Social source share

This record is sooooo overrated. It's nice, but anybody wanting to spend more than a ton needs some serious therapy. Another prime example of the Northern scene's "King's new clothes" mentality, not to mention the "knowing the price of everything and value of nothing" syndrome. Just look at some of the ridiculous comments about the Four Vandals on another thread.

Like Pottsy said, as soon as the dancers cotton on, the sheep move in and throw their money about. Still, it keeps Ady in beer vouchers!! Good on him, I say.

link

With all due respect Mark, I love the record on it's merits. I don't follow the crowd. I buy a record if I like it (Although I don't think I'll get my mits on it for a while! :) ).

You cannot make a blanket statement like that and assume anyone that likes it has jumped on the waggon, so to speak.

I heard it on a tape from the 80's (Maybe Clifton Hall???) about 9 years ago. I fell in love with it then as it's my kind of music. Wasn't collecting back then, or til very recently so had no interest in buying it.

So I'm a cheesy bastard for liking it, I don't give a tinkers. I love it. Plain and simple. :D

(Soul Source would like to point out that this Sheeps view is not necessarily the view of the rest of the Sheep)

:D

Social source share

With all due respect Mark, I love the record on it's merits. I don't follow the crowd. I buy a record if I like it (Although I don't think I'll get my mits on it for a while!  :) ).

You cannot make a blanket statement like that and assume anyone that likes it has jumped on the waggon, so to speak.

I heard it on a tape from the 80's (Maybe Clifton Hall???) about 9 years ago. I fell in love with it then as it's my kind of music. Wasn't collecting back then, or til very recently so had no interest in buying it.

So I'm a cheesy bastard for liking it, I don't give a tinkers. I love it. Plain and simple.  :D

Jamie  :thumbsup:

(Soul Source would like to point out that this Sheeps view is not necessarily the view of the rest of the Sheep)

:D

link

People, I'm not taking issue with anyone liking what they like (well, not in this case - if we're talking Yeehaw! R&B, Four Vandals et al then that's different!) and like I said, I'm not anti this tune, I just personally find it a bit overrated.

My issue is with the way people jump onto a tune and the price goes absolutely effing stupid. All credit to Tommy and Adey for plugging the tune in the first place when no-one wanted to know. But what annoys me is the chuffs who glaze over when you play them a tune which is either (a) not rare ( cool.gif cheap or © both of these. But as soon as it starts to command a few hundred bucks, they suddenly decide to chase the damn thing. That's what I mean by bandwagon jumping in this context.

Social source share

So I'm a cheesy bastard for liking it, I don't give a tinkers. I love it. Plain and simple.  :D

(Soul Source would like to point out that this Sheeps view is not necessarily the view of the rest of the Sheep

link

Ewe Baa-sted

Social source share

People, I'm not taking issue with anyone liking what they like (well, not in this case - if we're talking Yeehaw! R&B, Four Vandals et al then that's different!) and like I said, I'm not anti this tune, I just personally find it a bit overrated.

My issue is with the way people jump onto a tune and the price goes absolutely effing stupid. All credit to Tommy and Adey for plugging the tune in the first place when no-one wanted to know. But what annoys me is the chuffs who glaze over when you play them a tune which is either (a) not rare ( cool.gif cheap or © both of these. But as soon as it starts to command a few hundred bucks, they suddenly decide to chase the damn thing. That's what I mean by bandwagon jumping in this context.

link

I've had my pills now and I'm quite calm :D

I don't find it overrated, just overpriced in a sort of jealous way.

I know it's been kicking around and getting regular plays for a good while now, but I've seen it clear floors very recently, like you said just 3 on the floor (Me, Mally & Garry).

Understand completely what you mean about when people, or 'Sheep' as you put it, latch onto it and then it's the best thing since sliced bread. I get a bit pissed about it to be honest, means I'd have to pay top $ to get one. Which I ain't got!.

My problem is that I'm 20 years too late for half the records I want, just can't afford 'em. :angry: But as for anyone wanting to pay over a ton for it needs therapy, come on! It's still not a common record however popular it is. If I could have it for £100 I'd be happy as a dog with 2 dicks. :(

Ah well, numbers might come up this weekend then I might start bidding on Ovenchips auctions :thumbsup:

No offence intended to you Mark, :D I just mis-read it a bit, and thought you were being a bit clever. :)

Jamie :)

(And if anyone does have one for sale then please get in touch. I'm very serious, although DO NOT quote Ovenchip as a benchmark!!)

Social source share

Ewe Baa-sted

link

Thanks for your kind words, Stevie :D

I spose you'd be able to confirm if it was played @ Clifton or not, and if so, who played it???

Ta mate,

Social source share

Headsy you Nutter!!!!  :)

Have you not read my post? I furkin lurrrve Bobby, and was complimenting Hamilton Movement on sounding like the man himself.

It was self-effacing humour that I used on the song titles, me being a thick Yorkie and all that  :D

My fave Bobby track at the mo' is 'Tried & Convicted' on Minit. Oh yes, that tempo & his voice = perfection.

And what more do you want for £15-£20? Romance?

See you soon fella,

I know........I was being fasceitious  :D ( or trying to be !! )T &C proppa mid tempo !!!

link

Social source share

Thanks for your kind words, Stevie :D

I spose you'd be able to confirm if it was played @ Clifton or not, and if so, who played it???

Ta mate,

link

[/quoteTo be honest Jamie, I'm not 100% sure. It might have got plays at the Cleethorpes all nighters that Steve Croft ran. If so, it will have been Poke that played it. (What a good dj he was. Played Paul Thompson years before Richard Searling ever did but RS gets the credit !)

Social source share

I know........I was being fasceitious  ( or trying to be !! )T &C proppa mid tempo !!!

link

I think ar lasses knickers were a bit tight on me this morning. Not the sharpest tool in the box me :D

See you soon.

Social source share

To be honest Jamie, I'm not 100% sure. It might have got plays at the Cleethorpes all nighters that Steve Croft ran. If so, it will have been Poke that played it. (What a good dj he was. Played Paul Thompson years before Richard Searling ever did but RS gets the credit  !)

link

Was talking about this last week with a few guys who went there regular. They said that's where they first heard it and then it disapeared for years.

I'm seeing the boys tonight for a beer, I'll see if they can remember who played it (or who they think played it!)

Social source share

Let me know how the detective work gets on :D   About 25 of these turned up, all from same source.  Admittedly most went to DJs and probably the reason why it got heard so much.

If you think the record is bad you should see the photo of the group  :)

link

Yes they do look like a bunch or tw@ts don't they!

post-1398-1103121536_thumb.jpg

Still, I think the record is in the top 5 best 70s tracks ever... :D:thumbsup:

Fantabitozie! :(

Social source share

Was talking about this last week with a few guys who went there regular. They said that's where they first heard it and then it disapeared for years.

I'm seeing the boys tonight for a beer, I'll see if they can remember who played it (or who they think played it!)

link

Certainly don't remember Richard S playing it, Sam was on his modern soul scene venture (which was brilliant) and not on at Clifton, so if it wasn't Poke, the only other person would be Sean Hampsey as it was not the kind of record that Pat Brady was playing at the time. I never got near a copy.

By the way, anybody remember the short lived Rebels all nighters in Sheffield ?

Social source share

Yes they do look like a bunch or tw@ts don't they!

post-1398-1103121536_thumb.jpg

Still, I think the record is in the top 5 best 70s tracks ever... :):thumbsup:

Fantabitozie! :D

link

The photo I've seen is diffeerent, about 8 in the group and one is dressed lioke a complete and utter twat :D I'll see if I can get it scanned.

Social source share

Wow! Over two grand for the Hamilton Movement. I distinctly remember a flurry of copies appearing about two and a half years ago, from, I am reliably informed, Japan. I remember in the record room at Cleethorpes that year: Butch had a copy at £800. Someone picked it up, showed it to a very well known modern collector and said "how much should I pay for this?" Said collector replied "about three hundred less than you're about to: there's loads of them..."

Social source share

Wow! Over two grand for the Hamilton Movement. I distinctly remember a flurry of copies appearing about two and a half years ago, from, I am reliably informed, Japan. I remember in the record room at Cleethorpes that year: Butch had a copy at £800. Someone picked it up, showed it to a very well known modern collector and said "how much should I pay for this?" Said collector replied "about three hundred less than you're about to: there's loads of them..."

link

LOads of 'em??? There was 25, a handful of dealers had the majority between them. As far as I'm aware no more have turned up.

Social source share

Certainly don't remember Richard S playing it, Sam was on his modern soul scene venture (which was brilliant) and not on at Clifton, so if it wasn't Poke, the only other person would be Sean Hampsey as it was not the kind of record that Pat Brady was playing at the time. I never got near a copy.

link

Dixon Lane, think they also did a jazz funk night too early 80's? to answer your question Steve.

Social source share

Kinnell Brett, to each his own and that, but that Chuck Cockerham sounds like a soul pack reject...£1500 would buy you 150 x £10 records all of which would be better than that crap. In my opinion.

link

Subjectivity Pete, thats all music is really, you loathe it, but i am quite fond of old Chuck. :thumbsup:

Ps you found me that Mr Fletcher yet :D

Social source share

A 25 count box is a load of a 'rare' record. Probably enough to satisfy demand at the time among the record hounds. Virtually everyone I know had a copy at that time and you couldn't leave the house without hearing it. I even heard it at a wedding reception.

It probably takes at least two years these days for a record like that to become ingrained in dancers' minds on a nation-wide basis: hence a second wave of demand and less realistic prices for 45s like this.

A couple of things spring to mind about current/recent Manship auctions: Walter Wilson probably a bargain; Hermon Hitson on Sweet Rose looking cheap at the moment. Can anyone confirm that a small quantity of these have emerged?

Social source share

link

Tiny venue if I remember rightly, Arthur/Sam nighters upfront modern nighter but also Soul Appreciation Society (??) Searling/Bernie Golding night if I remember. Dont remember much about them, although thats not surprise for me!!

I am sure we chatted in these days Steve, I was quite friendly with Gary R so was often standing chatting on stage. You were partial to more than a few decent 70's in these days if I remember rightly.

Great comments about Poke, some wonderful records, funny you mention about him being before Richard as sure remember him telling me he got records from Anderson in 70's like Betty Boo before Richard but wasnt as high profile, he played a great acetate if Just Like The Weather at Clifton Halls did he not, do you remember anything about that?

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Tiny venue if I remember rightly, Arthur/Sam nighters upfront modern nighter but also Soul Appreciation Society (??) Searling/Bernie Golding night if I remember. Dont remember much about them, although thats not surprise for me!!

I am sure we chatted in these days Steve, I was quite friendly with Gary R so was often standing chatting on stage. You were partial to more than a few decent 70's in these days if I remember rightly.

Great comments about Poke, some wonderful records, funny you mention about him being before Richard as sure remember him telling me he got records from Anderson in 70's like Betty Boo before Richard but wasnt as high profile, he played a great acetate if Just Like The Weather at Clifton Halls did he not, do you remember anything about that?

Cheers

Jock

link

Poke was one of the most underrated and unassuming (still is) blokes on the scene, just as Cleggy was one of the most underrated venues for it's influence on the scene.

He's recently been persuaded to play a few records again and runs a small local soul night :( (What do they say about it never leaving you?)

He's got a story or two about the records he discovered and others took credit for but because of the guy he is they only get told in private!

I'm with Soulsville here-I happen to have always loved the Hamilton Movement whistling.gif

I will ask Poke about it and report back :(

Dave

(Spose there must have been a time when there were plenty of copies about :yes: )

Social source share

Cheers

Jock

link

Rebels was Richard and Bernie, but Sam and Arthur dj'd. Sam ran several venues in and around Sheffield, inc Turn Ups. But there were no big attendances. Even for rebels, which had a an incredible 70's playlist.

Poke was one of the best dj's and nicest guys around. Understand he mainly collects deep soul now.Had lots of things nobody knew about, but very unassuming and not involved in the politics. The record was by Richard Parker, and a guy from Sheffield, Martin err,cant remember his surname (Vault of souler, whats M's surname ?) recently found a copy at Dave Raistricks

shop in SkegVegas. He did me a tape of it.

Whats Gary R doing now ?

Social source share

A 25 count box is a load of a 'rare' record. Probably enough to satisfy demand at the time among the record hounds. Virtually everyone I know had a copy at that time and you couldn't leave the house without hearing it. I even heard it at a wedding reception.

It probably takes at least two years these days for a record like that to become ingrained in dancers' minds on a nation-wide basis: hence a second wave of demand and less realistic prices for 45s like this.

A couple of things spring to mind about current/recent Manship auctions: Walter Wilson probably a bargain; Hermon Hitson on Sweet Rose looking cheap at the moment. Can anyone confirm that a small quantity of these have emerged?

link

I can't confirm that copies of Herman Histon have turned up but I do know I have seen more than a few for sale in the last couple of years or so and I also know they have been selling for less and less compared to what it used to sell for. Walter Wilson a bargain at £4000+?! I have yet to hear the flip which is claimed to be great crossover (although his voice is quite weak on the top side, so I am sceptical), but "Love Keeps Me Crying" is a pile of crap IMO. You get tired of it after about 25 seconds, and then it just repeats itself, poor and annoying vocals and just plain boring and bad. I recall when a guy over here played it out this autumn (maybe it was his copy being sold?) and advertised it as fantastic this and super rare that, and it was a total anticlimax, not even people who usually likes anything that stomps liked it. Everyone I know just looked at each other in disbelief. I prefer the instrumental that Butch has been playing if I had to choose between the tune and a bullet, but that is quite boring too, at least when you're sober.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

I can't confirm that copies of Herman Histon have turned up but I do know I have seen more than a few for sale in the last couple of years or so and I also know they have been selling for less and less compared to what it used to sell for. Walter Wilson a bargain at £4000+?!  I have yet to hear the flip which is claimed to be great crossover (although his voice is quite weak on the top side, so I am sceptical), but "Love Keeps Me Crying" is a pile of crap IMO. You get tired of it after about 25 seconds, and then it just repeats itself, poor and annoying vocals and just plain boring and bad. I recall when a guy over here played it out this autumn (maybe it was his copy being sold?) and advertised it as fantastic this and super rare that, and it was a total anticlimax, not even people who usually likes anything that stomps liked it. Everyone I know just looked at each other in disbelief. I prefer the instrumental that Butch has been playing if I had to choose between the tune and a bullet, but that is quite boring too, at least when you're sober.

link

Yeah it was his copy being sold, i can assure you he made a HEAVY profit on this laugh.gif i don't either rate the track as very good, quite mediocre but good energy..

best

Leo

Social source share

Yeah, 90% of £4222 is good money for a record you find for a few pence in a flea market, maybe he can buy himself something nice for christmas. Not the worst record I ever heard, but a very mediocre "club soul" type stomper.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Christian. I agree that Walter Wilson "Love Keeps Me Crying" is total crap, but the other side is really fantastic. Steve Guarnori played it as one of the enders at Yarmouth's Soul Essence this year and I was amazed that such a tremendous piece of soul resided on the other side of the above mentioned mediocrity. My comment about the price being a bargain refers to the record's rarity alone. I think we all agree it's a tough one to find.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Christian. I agree that Walter Wilson "Love Keeps Me Crying" is total crap, but the other side is really fantastic. Steve Guarnori played it as one of the enders at Yarmouth's Soul Essence this year and I was amazed that such a tremendous piece of soul resided on the other side of the above mentioned mediocrity. My comment about the price being a bargain refers to the record's rarity alone. I think we all agree it's a tough one to find.

link

I still must comment this, i'm not to fond of this record but total crap????? A bit harsh maybe? I mean it's not that special and that's it, it's not AWFUL like Don Hysong "soul searcher" or Terrible Tom is it? A very standard, stomping sound that just doesn't cut it but total crap? Well you get my point, or is that just my opinion? laugh.gif

best

Leo

Social source share

link

Or why not £4222.00 on Walter Wilson!

Social source share

Or why not £4222.00 on Walter Wilson!

link

Somebody's pleased with himself???

Any clues to your identity??

Jamie laugh.gif

*EDITED: I've just read your Samantha thread, know who you are now, John. :yes:

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

:angry:

Somebody's pleased with himself???

Any clues to your identity??

Jamie  laugh.gif

*EDITED: I've just read your Samantha thread, know who you are now, John.  :yes:

link

Yes and I didn't get it!

Social source share

:angry:

Yes and I didn't get it!

link

Sorry to hear that John, I recognised the 'Big Boy' thing, but didn't see the end of the auction.

Infact, I made a complete tit of myself as I got fuddled up, and thought the auction was rigged until the fog of 'proxy' bidding cleared.

Have a look under 'Something Stinks' in All About the Soul section.

Worth a laugh laugh.gif

Jamie. :yes:

Social source share

I still must comment this, i'm not to fond of this record but total crap????? A bit harsh maybe? I mean it's not that special and that's it, it's not AWFUL like Don Hysong "soul searcher" or Terrible Tom is it? A very standard, stomping sound that just doesn't cut it but total crap? Well you get my point, or is that just my opinion?  laugh.gif

best

Leo

link

Well, it's not Joey Delorenzo bad, but still below acceptable IMO. Loads of standard boring club soul stomper cheapies are better (I like the somewhat gritty and occasionally more soulful approach of "club soul" and at the same time I often find it very boring). Even if I hate Joey D. I think I might actually prefer it to Walter Wilson, it is more dynamic and a better dancer, shocking statement of the year or what. :yes: Terrible Tom is quite terrible indeed btw.

Social source share

link

I must get to hear that side then. I still think £4222 is very expensive regardless of rarity.

Social source share

Sorry to hear that John, I recognised the 'Big Boy' thing, but didn't see the end of the auction.

Infact, I made a complete tit of myself as I got fuddled up, and thought the auction was rigged until the fog of 'proxy' bidding cleared.

Have a look under 'Something Stinks' in All About the Soul section.

Worth a laugh  :D

Jamie.  :shhh:

link

Jamie,

not crying if Soul Sam wants to pay that much then fine, I have actually discovered it came out on an album and also the instrumental is on the Wand masters cd

Social source share

link

I'm not a lover of instrumentals but the one Butch plays pisses all over the vocal :D:shhh:

Social source share

Rebels was Richard and Bernie, but Sam and Arthur dj'd. Sam ran several venues in and around Sheffield, inc Turn Ups. But there were no big attendances. Even for rebels, which had a an incredible 70's playlist.

link

Memory not greaqt but wasn't Turn Ups the one with the raised or bump in the dance floor? :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!