Tomangoes and Precisions acetates on eBay - legit?

Mark Oliver

I’d say they were,they look the same as many I’ve had over the years! Shame the tomangoes keeps skipping though,unless it can be repaired it ain’t worth having,the precisions  is an ok tune too! I’ve had the released 45 in the past,sounds a bit dated now,not sure from a djing point  of view it would have any impact!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

They both look totally legit. Sadly, the pair look like they are delaminating on the run-ins with the lacquer missing. The turntable looks a bit naff so the stylus may be worn? That said, to auction a disc like this in the hope it will fetch good money, the seller should attempt to explain the three skips; are there noticeable nicks or gouges causing the problems? If the lacquer is actually missing where the disc skips, this should be made abundantly clear. Some skips can be fixed easily so if there is scope for this, it could be indicated. This could be a bargain-buy, especially if the disc is OK and the turntable is at fault, but who would be willing to spend big to find out?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, soulhawk said:

I'm not so certain - they have the look of custom-made acetates made in the 70's i.e Emi Discs etc

I could swear that was Ron Murphy's handwriting

🤨

The whole haul has an eclectic look about it. The range of acetates suggests an interesting variety of sources. There are Emidiscs present that might set alarms ringing. The two disks in question look like studio test presses and at 8 inches diameter, not a 70’s knock-off. Someone has paid a hefty sum for the Washpan disk so were convinced it had potential value.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

The whole haul has an eclectic look about it. The range of acetates suggests an interesting variety of sources. There are Emidiscs present that might set alarms ringing. The two disks in question look like studio test presses and at 8 inches diameter, not a 70’s knock-off. Someone has paid a hefty sum for the Washpan disk so were convinced it had potential value.

I wasn't convinced and I wouldn't have got involved tbh

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Tomangoes was recorded at United Sound and they had their own blank labels, so it's unlikely to be a studio acetate...

what this reminds of is a Audiodisc acetate glued the bathroom wall in StreetCorner Records ( Detroit ) labeled, "F.WILSON" and "JOBETE" as a joke

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, soulhawk said:

Tomangoes was recorded at United Sound and they had their own blank labels, so it's unlikely to be a studio acetate...

what this reminds of is a Audiodisc acetate glued the bathroom wall in StreetCorner Records ( Detroit ) labeled, "F.WILSON" and "JOBETE" as a joke

One of the questions I asked myself?  They could well have bought blanks in.

I was far from convinced they were genuine studio discs

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Nick Soule said:

The same seller now has an acetate of the Magnetics "When I'm With My Baby" that has very similar handwriting to the Precisions: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LISTEN-THE-MAGNETICS-WHEN-IM-WITH-MY-BABY-UNIQUE-NORTHERN-SOUL-ACETATE/353338699595?hash=item5244a0af4b%3Ag%3AgoAAAOSwQaBf743N&LH_Auction=1

He'll be listing a bridge next.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Alarm bells now ringing. I smell a rat. Apologies to anyone I might have mislead earlier. The seller could explain the provenance to help clarify matters.

Another thing puzzling me is how can a 10 inch disc play at 45 rpm when a 7 inch record would (in contrast to a 12 inch playing at 33.3 rpm)?

I don’t think you can relate size and speed.  I have 12” vinyl that plays at 33 and 45rpm unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

I probably have 7” vinyl that plays at 33 and 45rpm as well.

but I do think these actetates are very suspect. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 26/12/2020 at 18:01, Benji said:

Ebay says seller is from Tbilisi, Georgia

no one else noticed this?

plus did anyone have a look at the other items this geezer has for sale ?

big tells....  imo

Edited by Mike
tidy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

The seller could explain the provenance to help clarify matters.

'Just for fun', if you need any help with the provenance of A's etc, or indeed record collecting in general, I can highly recommend this video guide. Go to 40m 30s for information on A's. Considering the condition of the seller's A's, i.e. all M's, I suspect they came from Lard's collection. as they're 'hard to find in that condition'!

Social source share

I didn’t believe the first two, Precisions and Tomangoes were real, It was said where he came from at the beginning and looking at his other sales at the time didn’t fill me with any confidence they were real. This latest just reinforces what I thought originally. 

Social source share

23 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Alarm bells now ringing. I smell a rat. Apologies to anyone I might have mislead earlier. The seller could explain the provenance to help clarify matters.

Another thing puzzling me is how can a 10 inch disc play at 45 rpm when a 7 inch record would (in contrast to a 12 inch playing at 33.3 rpm)?

Depends what speed it was cut at I guess but not sure I’ve heard anything less than 12 on acetate play at 33. Seen plenty of issued 45s play at 33, got some myself. 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

Depends what speed it was cut at I guess but not sure I’ve heard anything less than 12 on acetate play at 33. Seen plenty of issued 45s play at 33, got some myself. 

But they wouldn't be 45's then they'd be 33's ... :rolleyes:

Apologies Karl , but I have to start the year the way I mean to continue .... a twat ... :lol:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Thanks Chalky. I was thinking along the lines of 70’s Emidiscs being cut on 7 inch acetates at 45 rpm so when 10 inch oddities appear, what was the cutting standard? The more I look at the acetates in question, the more baffled I am. The recent one also has significant edge damage like the previous two but they all look different suggesting someone has got hold of some old, damaged discs... Mike’s point above points to details that anyone would question.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Magnetics currently at $787. All the bidders’ identities are hidden for a Private reason, probably because there is something to conceal🤬

Some gullible people about who just don't do their homework.

The seller has been identified on Facebook as a well know faker darryl Menkin with evidence to support.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Some gullible people about who just don't do their homework.

The seller has been identified on Facebook as a well know faker darryl Menkin with evidence to support.

The Private bidders have shivved the number up, but surely nobody put in a genuine bid. Hopefully someone will refer the case to eBay.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Magnetics currently at $787. All the bidders’ identities are hidden for a Private reason, probably because there is something to conceal🤬

That's the seller not buyer hiding identities - it's an option you have as a seller so others can't see who's bidding!  ... but it's also convenient for him when someone wants to inspect feedback 😉 ... as also can't see what he was selling!

Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

That's the seller not buyer hiding identities - it's an option you have as a seller so others can't see who's bidding!  ... but it's also convenient for him when someone wants to inspect feedback 😉 ... as also can't see what he was selling!

Yes, the seller hiding his mates’ bids or his other eBay account details or just keeping his business ‘private’ wink, wink, nudge, nudge. ‘Private’ means avoid, steer clear, watch out, something fishy going on...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!