Soul 2020 - A lookback in... ?

Mike

Maybe a hard topic this, but if we try and keep things positive slanted then it may be a bit of fun during this post -xmas pre-new year period...?

Highlights of 2020 soul wise..

Anyone up for sharing their take on the 2020 year soul wise?

Say such pass ons as...

Best new 45s release heard/bought, their top online event/dj/set, the 45 that got away, the long sought resolved want, the top bargain, the soul source post that made them laugh or cry and so on...

Anyone up for sharing...

Social source share

not sure where that fit's in with the looking back on the last year Ed

but no worries, thanks for getting things going 👍

any  takers for any more?

how about the best new 45 release?

if there was an award for the most 'genuine' retro single maybe this would take it?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Unissued release: Alpaca Phase III by diggin deep was certainly one of the best for me this year..

Also the Kenny Carter mentioned above was a highlight. 

But the biggest gain for me this year was the decision to finally getting started with buying Soul records at a bigger scale in January after  more or less forcing myself to stay away for more than 20 years as my other field of interest is expensive enough.. not the wisest decision my bank accountant (and wife) would say but I have to admit it feels great!! 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Yeah Bury VAN has been the mainstay for a lot of people,never staying the same,different themed shows every month keeping it fresh.Looking forward to NYE for the "best of Bury" Some great output on the vinyl front,Russell Paine at Super Disco Edits has also unearthed some top drawer unnissued 70's soul,long may it continue!! and agree Pete,hopefully not too much longer before we get to go back out again! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Favourite house revival - there were many but for the first time in awhile from the record store I listened to and enjoyed:

Sam Fletcher 'More Today Than Yesterday' (Vault)

Blues Bros # 1 'Letter of Regret'  (eclipse)

Betty Everett 'In Your Arms' (ABC)

Bobby Long 'Station Hurt' (Cub)

I went to town (well not literally) on new stuff and reissues. Praise be to labels like Izipho and Colemine. If I had to pick one 45  it would be Trish Toledo 'The Only One' (Mango Hill). It's been in my current section for months.

Album wise I've been playing The Pockets three LPs this past month which I had neglected despite owning them at least twenty years plus. Excellent Earth, Wind & Fire inspired soul from back in the day.

New stuff albums - it's been a vintage year with top releases from Mama's Gun, Durand Jones and the Indicators, Roland Johnson, Don Varner and Nick Corbin. Corbin's album 'Sweet Escape' is full of wonderful songs. The guy is a songsmith of the very highest order.

Edited by DukeBurgundy
Grammar
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Greedy Mick said:

Highlights for me were having time and money to look for records as I don't always have a lot of spare money to spend but with not going out I've probably bought more this year than since the early 80s. And I  finally got one of these 

And the other thing that I found that I enjoyed was growing vegetables etc. In my garden, On the  first day of lockdown the area on the right was just lawn and by mid summer I had a  great selection .  Looking forward to growing some more in the spring. 

20200712_134316.jpg

And you will be saddened to know (unless you already did) of the passing in early December of Deborah Christine Newton Cathey, half of The Chantells........RIP

https://www.cumbyfuneral.com/tributes/Deborah-Cathey

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

And you will be saddened to know (unless you already did) of the passing in early December of Deborah Christine Newton Cathey, half of The Chantells........RIP

https://www.cumbyfuneral.com/tributes/Deborah-Cathey

Thank you for letting me know.  Although I knew the 2 singers names I didn't know much about them.   Very sad news for Her family and friends.. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Daved said:

Album of the year imo is Ledisi's - The Wild Card featuring this dancer. A real solid album with lots of great tracks. She's been pretty consistent for 20 years now.

I've still to make up my mind on that after having spent most of the year's holiday budget on music of all eras. I filled a lot of holes in my Kent cd collection and was very pleased to keep up with various reissues and never-before-issued stuff, but of the newies so far I'd also nominate Light of the World's comeback album Jazz Funk Power as a strong contender. Of the latest reissues the Kenny Carter and Little Ann collections are top notch, and a lot of earlier reissues from Numero, Light in the Attic, Jazzman and others have turned up suddenly heavily discounted, so once again filling in various gaps there.

One thing 2020 underlined was the importance of good radio, along with the growing accumulation of podcasts and streams - Mixcloud is incredible for the sheer range of good quality output, new and old. BVAN has shown how the spirit of a proper rare soul gig can be preserved and enjoyed in real time with spinners and punters interacting and appreciating the music selections. I didn't do much of the FB home deejay stuff, but I made an exception for the Boomerang soul sessions with Maria O and Arthur Fenn - highly enjoyable and good to see and hear the music being played.

Steve Stevlor's book on Dave Godin is a fine tribute in every way.

And thanks to everyone involved in keeping this forum so active and informative.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!