Originals - suspicion- origin of white label 45

Paul Capon

Anyone

I have a white label of unknown nee dubious origin (pics below) 

It is labelled The Originals - ‘Baby please (have mercy on me)’ but plays  The Originals - ‘suspicion’

The B side is Gladys Knight - ‘When somebody loves you’

Are these both unreleased tracks?

I believe I acquired these in the 90’s along with other unreleased things like
The Lollipops, ‎– Look What You Done Boy / Kim Weston - After The rain

Brenda Holloway ‎– I'm On The Right Track / My World Is Crumbling

anyone know anything about these ‘dubious’ pieces of vinyl???

10FD4345-91A3-4267-AA04-63F898ACA8D4.jpeg

FE1A9136-FC87-4F40-8BFA-B9F8A6ED4EE8.jpeg

Edited by Paul Capon
Update
Social source share

Those don't look to me like original the Motown pressings I saw in The Motown Vaults in 1978.  One was a cream-coloured uncredited (no artist name) Jobete Music acetate (used only for song proof of ownership, and another was a 10-inch Motown Originals acetate with, if I remember correctly, 5 or 6 of their songs, from 1965.  These 2 look too new (from the 1990s - probably made after the originals were auctioned of at the beginning of the 1990s).  Even in the mid 1970s, when I first saw the real acetates, the paper on them from being pasted on only 10 to 13 years before, was already yellowing or browning slightly from oxidation.  Also, I've never seen that particular print font on a 1960s Moton or Jobete acetate or vinyl demo record.  Clearly, those paste-ons were done after 1990.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

I totally agree - I don’t think anyone is suggesting that this or the others mentioned were authentic acetates etc.

I seem to remember this batch of white labels appeared at about the same time in the nineties which would tie in with what you said about the ‘real’ acetates coming to market. 
That said they aren’t what we would call boots as there were no official releases at the time (‘Suspicion’ did get an official release in 2013 in the Motown 7s Box - Rare And Unreleased Vinyl). 

There is another white label knocking around with the alternative take (and superior to my ears) of ‘suspicion’ as well.
Still amazes me how some of these superb tracks were left in the can.  I for one am happy that these whites came to market to enable soul music lovers to here these great tracks. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Paul Capon said:

I totally agree - I don’t think anyone is suggesting that this or the others mentioned were authentic acetates etc.

I seem to remember this batch of white labels appeared at about the same time in the nineties which would tie in with what you said about the ‘real’ acetates coming to market. 
That said they aren’t what we would call boots as there were no official releases at the time (‘Suspicion’ did get an official release in 2013 in the Motown 7s Box - Rare And Unreleased Vinyl). 

There is another white label knocking around with the alternative take (and superior to my ears) of ‘suspicion’ as well.
Still amazes me how some of these superb tracks were left in the can.  I for one am happy that these whites came to market to enable soul music lovers to here these great tracks. 

That "alternate" take was the first one we found, and I've always liked it much better, and it will always be the "real" and definitive version, to me.  I thought IT was the version Rod Shard took to The UK first, and was placed on a carver, just as all the best of the others he had taped.  But, for whatever reason, the other 1965 version took over as The NS favourite, and mine never appeared on The Internet again.  The 1970 version is way too modern sounding for me.  We had my "classic version" slated for "From The Vaults LP #2".  A shame we didn't get to release 5 or 10 of them.  😧

Social source share

On a similar topic....in the 80’s I’d never heard the original “suspicion “ track,and a 45 was put out as the “Detroit prophets” it was a female version, however it then turned out to be the original male Motown version but sped up to sound female,anyway at the time I thought the so called female version was the best thing I’d ever heard,I loved it! And when I heard the male original I didn’t like it at all,and still don’t! I thought it was way to to slow and it felt like the song was dragging! But I know it’s simply because I’d only heard the female cobbled up version first!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 29/12/2020 at 20:34, Chalky said:

I think it's one of the batch of about 8 releases that came through Anglo American.  I remember my mate have the remnants of them and I sorted them all into packs.

If it is one of those the stickers were put on after if memory serves?

Was that the same batch as the Chris Clark Do I Love You? Remember picking up that and a few others early 90s was it?? 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!