The Inspirations - Gotta Find a new Love

Rictic66

Anyone know the background of this great tune. It was released I think on Benn X in 2000 and then again by Goldmine soul supply in 2004 from their CD the northern soul of Philadelphia.  They ( Goldmine) named the song wrong twice Gonna rather than Gotta on the white written test press GS2004 and Treat myself to a new love on the CD!! It sounds 60ts. Written by Frank Bendinelli and Leroy Lovett according to Discogs and on the you tube below. Is it the same Inspirations who recorded other great northern tracks such as no one else can take your place ( LA I think not Philly) and Your wish is my command (Chicago so different again. There was also a Touch me kiss me on black pearl - yet another different group I think?  

Any info appreciated thx. I searched on SS without success. Paul Temple

• Up vote 2
Social source share

The Benn-X Inspirations were from Philadelphia.  The Midas Inspirations were from Chicago.  The Inspirations (Joey Jefferson's group) who sang "No One Else Can Take Your Place" were from L.A.  So, no, these weren't a group who had another NS hit.  It was rumoured that they were, however, the same Philly former Doo Wop group who had a hit with "Dry Your Eyes".

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks VM guys - all great info. I thought they may be different versions and just played them both (but can’t find the CDs yet) - the Benn-X seems more polished, less raw. That would make sense that Tim let his acetate be released on a Goldmine TP. 

The different Groups all had at least one great release. 

PT

Social source share

Hi Ed. Ha yep. I now have the time to spend hours listening to stuff I don’t know and yes still buying. There are some great new releases and reissue labels (digging deep etc) I like and collect too.  Still have a load of vinyl with E Carter scratched in the run out...... PT

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Rictic66 said:

Hi Ed. Ha yep. I now have the time to spend hours listening to stuff I don’t know and yes still buying. There are some great new releases and reissue labels (digging deep etc) I like and collect too.  Still have a load of vinyl with E Carter scratched in the run out...... PT

Great to hear.

I think the penny dropped with me when I got the first manship price guide....

At least 50% of records listed id never heard before.

After 25 years of catch up...if an up to date guide came out now.. after adding in the new discoveries in that time...I'd say the gap has got bigger!

Happy days!

Ed

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Soulstu said:

Truly fantastic record. The Benn-X 45 is legit isn’t it?

Yep and very rarely played. As far as I am aware it’s legit - Benn -x is a Philly label and Robb has confirmed they are a Philly band. Presumably it was an unreleased track, hence the two acetates in the UK, which Benn-X picked up the rights and release years later. Robb may have better info than me. 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

According to Discogs, the Benn-X Inspirations are related to the group who recorded for Wand and are the same group as the Rotations who recorded for Frantic. 

Slightly off topic, and probably confuses things even more, but I had a conversation with Philly expert Dave Moore earlier in the year, when I was trying to ascertain whether the Benn X Inspirations were the same as the Wand (Philly) Inspirations. The Wand Inspirations backed the Volcanos on some of their Artic recordings.

I’ve heard 3 different Inspirations tracks originating from NJ / Philly each with different leads / vocal delivery -falsetto group, tenor and baritone leads so they either had a quick turnover in members, or the name applied to random groups, over the space of 10 years or so. Then there’s a 50s / early doowop thing on Jamie (Philly label).

Dave's opinion was essentially that the Wand Inspirations were likely same as the guys on the Virtue acetate of 'Put Another Dime' but was not so sure they were actually The Rotations on the Frantic 45. When he questioned the Harthon guys they couldn't throw any light on the difference between The Inspirations and The Rotations. 

Dave Moore (or Dave Brown in Philly) can probably clarify the score here better than I. The Benn X recording sounds very late 60s at the earliest so if the Wand Inspirations and Rotations were the same group, why would they revert back to their original name for a later recording?

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

1 minute ago, Windlesoul said:

Slightly off topic, and probably confuses things even more, but I had a conversation with Philly expert Dave More earlier in the year, when I was trying to ascertain whether the Benn X Inspirations were the same as the Wand (Philly) Inspirations. The Wand Inspirations backed the Volcanos on some of their Artic recordings.

I’ve heard 3 different Inspirations tracks originating from NJ / Philly each with different leads / vocal delivery -falsetto group, tenor and baritone leads so they either had a quick turnover in members, or the name applied to random groups, over the space of 10 years or so. Then there’s a 50s / early doowop thing on Jamie (Philly label).

Dave's opinion was essentially that the Wand Inspirations were likely same as the guys on the Virtue acetate of 'Put Another Dime' but was not so sure they were actually The Rotations on the Frantic 45. When he questioned the Harthon guys they couldn't throw any light on the difference between The Inspirations and The Rotations. 

Dave can probably clarify the score here better than I. The Benn X recording sounds very late 60s at the earliest so if the Wand Inspirations and Rotations were the same group, why would they revert back to their original name for a later recording?

I'm sure the Kent CD notes says they weren't an actual group but a studio group/musicians who simply laid down a cut?  I'll dig the CD out tomorrow see what it says.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Rictic66 said:

Yep and very rarely played. As far as I am aware it’s legit - Benn -x is a Philly label and Robb has confirmed they are a Philly band. Presumably it was an unreleased track, hence the two acetates in the UK, which Benn-X picked up the rights and release years later. Robb may have better info than me. 

I found this interesting off one that sold in 2013 from roots vinyl guide ?

Test Pressing 2002 ?

Description The Companions-I Can Feel It / Inspirations-Gotta Find A New Love-Benn X Test Press-Philly Soul 45 unreleased 60s-With xerox white d.j. label . Near Mint condition. Only a few of these test pressings were made with the correct group name on the "I Can Feel It" side. The Companions also recorded a single for General American, "Help A Lonley Guy." Both sides of this Philly Soul 45 were unreleased when they were recorded in the 1960s, and the regular green label Benn X 45 is long sold out!

The strange world of vinyl eh ?

Did the lister suggest green when yellow ?

Inspirations.jpg

Companions.jpg

I think this Drifters sounding tune is one of the Inspirations cuts

Larry Pinder, Ebert Holmes and Herman Johnson (Companions) ?

https://stage.timtimebomb.com/tag/philly-soul/

Companions.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I bought my yellow store stocker of The Inspirations from Val Shively during the early-to-mid 1970s, along with 2 other records containing other recently discovered Philadelphia 1960s Soul recordings that had been unreleased till then (probably discovered and issued by the same Philadelphia record dealer/collector.  The Companions was a fake name.  The group was The Inspirations.  I bought it because the record presser and Val both were pretty sure that it was the same Philly Inspirations that recorded "Dry Your Eyes" for Jamie.  The real Companions were a Brooklyn, NY group from 1957-65, and they did NOT sing "Gotta Find A New Love" and "I Can Feel It", and I don't believe they ever worked with John Bendinelli (Ben-Lee Productions).  They always recorded in New York, as far as I know.  Maybe the owner of Impact Sound Studios found the masters when he bought the studio?

Here's my yellow copy, plus the other 2 releases of the newly-discovered Philly Soul masters I bought at the same time (Ronnie Walker and The Topics, with Stella and The Gazelles on the flip):

Inspirations.jpeg

RonnieWalker.jpeg

Topics.jpeg

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I bought my yellow store stocker of The Inspirations from Val Shively during the early-to-mid 1970s, along with 2 other records containing other recently discovered Philadelphia 1960s Soul recordings that had been unreleased till then (probably discovered and issued by the same Philadelphia record dealer/collector.  The Companions was a fake name.  The group was The Inspirations.  I bought it because the record presser and Val both were pretty sure that it was the same Philly Inspirations that recorded "Dry Your Eyes" for Jamie.  The real Companions were a Brooklyn, NY group from 1957-65, and they did NOT sing "Gotta Find A New Love" and "I Can Feel It", and I don't believe they ever worked with John Bendinelli (Ben-Lee Productions).  They always recorded in New York, as far as I know.  Maybe the owner of Impact Sound Studios found the masters when he bought the studio?

Here's my yellow copy, plus the other 2 releases of the newly-discovered Philly Soul masters I bought at the same time (Ronnie Walker and The Topics, with Stella and The Gazelles on the flip):

Inspirations.jpeg

RonnieWalker.jpeg

Topics.jpeg

It's no wonder we all get confused and you are the only person to say (so far on the net anyway) that the Companions was a made up name. Do you have any idea why someone would issue a group on a B side as a made up name when the A side was correct ?

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Inspirations.jpeg

RonnieWalker.jpeg

Topics.jpeg

Hi Robb, these weren’t pressed mid 70s, mid 90s possibly (not sure about the Topics, I don’t know that one ) . The masters all came from the owners Frank Bendinelli who I worked with for Kent. Leroy Lovett also turned up some masters/acetates.  As you can see from the scan above there was a Philly group called the Companions. 
The Kent CD was compiled with Frank’s information, if Chalky doesn’t find his, I’ll check it out tomorrow. Ady 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

It's no wonder we all get confused and you are the only person to say (so far on the net anyway) that the Companions was a made up name. Do you have any idea why someone would issue a group on a B side as a made up name when the A side was correct ?

I have no idea.  All I know is that my record has The Inspirations listed as singing "I Can Feel It" on the flip.  I bought it in maybe 1973 or 1974, and there was no white pressing available and no Companions' version available.  I think those white pressings were issued in the late 1980s or 1990s.  I never saw them in the early days.  But, I can't guarantee anything.  I'm no Philadelphia Soul expert.  Maybe it WAS a Philly group, also called The Companions, and that original error was discovered much later, and corrected???

• Thanks 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I have no idea.  All I know is that my record has The Inspirations listed as singing "I Can Feel It" on the flip.  I bought it in maybe 1973 or 1974, and there was no white pressing available and no Companions' version available.  I think those white pressings were issued in the late 1980s or 1990s.  I never saw them in the early days.  But, I can't guarantee anything.  I'm no Philadelphia Soul expert.  Maybe it WAS a Philly group, also called The Companions, and that original error was discovered much later, and corrected???

You can probably see why we are all "intrigued"

Can you add a B side scan please to help with thread and matrix runout details please

Social source share

46 minutes ago, Ady Croasdell said:

Hi Robb, these weren’t pressed mid 70s, mid 90s possibly (not sure about the Topics, I don’t know that one ) . The masters all came from the owners Frank Bendinelli who I worked with for Kent. Leroy Lovett also turned up some masters/acetates.  As you can see from the scan above there was a Philly group called the Companions. 
The Kent CD was compiled with Frank’s information, if Chalky doesn’t find his, I’ll check it out tomorrow. Ady 

Yes, I have that GA record.  I didn't remember buying mail order records from US dealers after the late 1970s.  I always thought that General American record WAS The Brooklyn group.  But, in any case, it shows that The Companions recorded in Philadelphia with Gamble and Huff, and so, Ben-Lee as well.  Many Philly groups recorded in NY and vise versa (just like Baltimore and DC, they are very close.  But why did one issue have "The Companions" and the other have "The Inspirations"?

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Robbk said:

What are you all doing awake so early in the morning???  😜

Got a bad back and kept waking the misses up every time I moved

You are so so correct to ask about the B side group being changed.

It looks like your copy was first and in error and then corrected on the white one

Looks dodgy, only as there are so many dodgy records "out there"

Would be nice to know where they were pressed

I know Tim Brown had the A side on a Goldmine single in 1996

Nowadays with these tracks being so/more popular in the UK I never know where they come from and it does my brain in

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

1 minute ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Got a bad back and kept waking the misses up every time I moved

Hope it gets better fast.  When I'm in L.A., it's usually MY turn to be up all night posting with you Brits.  I've been gone from Holland since late November of 2019.  😡

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Hope it gets better fast.  When I'm in L.A., it's usually MY turn to be up all night posting with you Brits.  I've been gone from Holland since late November of 2019.  😡

Thanks that's kind of you.

Older age, aches and pains......yuck

I am now very intrigued with this and the other labels in the group so may start a new thread

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

1970s? It’s an early 2000 press. 

Rod always said I didn't know what time it is.  I thought it must have been the '70s because I didn't remember buying any records from Val since the '70s.  But, now that I think of it, maybe I bought it from Craig Moerer.  I really don't remember buying ANY records after the beginning of the 1990s.  I COULDN'T have bought a record as recent as the 2000s.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Rod always said I didn't know what time it is.  I thought it must have been the '70s because I didn't remember buying any records from Val since the '70s.  But, now that I think of it, maybe I bought it from Craig Moerer.  I really don't remember buying ANY records after the beginning of the 1990s.  I COULDN'T have bought a record as recent as the 2000s.

There is a comment on Discogs saying 2000 for the yellow one, but that may be wrong

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Chalky said:

1970s? It’s an early 2000 press. 

Maybe the white pressing that corrected the error was pressed in the early 2000s, but mine was released at the beginning of the 1990s.  I just wasn't looking on lists or buying ANY records in the 2000s.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

There is a comment on Discogs saying 2000 for the yellow one, but that may be wrong

Discogs has had plenty of errors and incorrect information over the years.  I never saw the white issue, so THAT one must be the 2000s issue.  But, maybe the original issue was early 1990s?  What about The Ronnie Walker, and The Topics/Stella & Gazelles' original issue dates?

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya, the topics was released in the 2000s. If I remember pressed up by the label owner. I think I sold mine along with the assassin's, cheers

Then I must really be getting senile.  It must have been my last mail order purchase, by far and away.  But WHY did I buy them????  They weren't Detroit or Chicago productions!  I must have had a stroke, and gone mad, temporarily!  🤪  That was beyond the LAST thing I wanted to do with my money by that time in my life.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Pga1 said:

Vinyl madness, it's a disease, cheers

Now, if it had been a rare, unreleased Detroit recording, like Clifford Binns' "I'm Human, Too", sounding like an early 1962 Motown, or Check-Mate recording, I'd have bought that, I'd even buy that now!  🤓

6 minutes ago, Pga1 said:

Vinyl madness, it's a disease, cheers

Broken up many a happy home!

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Ady Croasdell said:

Philly Archives is Dave Brown and not active until the 90s 

I still think that the white release was in the 2000s, correcting the error, by replacing "The Inspirations" on the flip with The Companions (who I think are the Brooklyn group), and the original yellow issues must have been from the early 1990s.  I just wasn't buying records at all in the 2000s.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I still think that the white release was in the 2000s, correcting the error, by replacing "The Inspirations" on the flip with The Companions (who I think are the Brooklyn group), and the original yellow issues must have been from the early 1990s.  I just wasn't buying records at all in the 2000s.

Perhaps you've recieved it as a gift.

The Benn-X release was pressed in 2002 at United.

The U-54857 matrix positions it as a 2002 press.

A few other releases with nearby matrix from 2002:

U-54815 = 2002
https://www.discogs.com/The-Agenda-Do-The-Crash-Crash/release/2175563

U-54868 = 2002
https://www.discogs.com/Hard-Skin-Black-And-White-Unite-And-Fight/release/5400530

• Up vote 2
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Perhaps you've recieved it as a gift.

The Benn-X release was pressed in 2002 at United.

The U-54857 matrix positions it as a 2002 press.

A few other releases with nearby matrix from 2002:

U-54815 = 2002
https://www.discogs.com/The-Agenda-Do-The-Crash-Crash/release/2175563

U-54868 = 2002
https://www.discogs.com/Hard-Skin-Black-And-White-Unite-And-Fight/release/5400530

I see that you are correct.  I know I bought them from a mail-order operation.  I guess that must have been my last purchase from Craig Moerer.  But, I can't imagine why I did that.  They didn't cost much at all.  But, as they weren't Detroit or Chicago productions, it was a very strange thing for me to do, as I had stopped buying records about 1990.

Social source share

14 hours ago, Rictic66 said:

Anyone know the background of this great tune. It was released I think on Benn X in 2000 and then again by Goldmine soul supply in 2004 from their CD the northern soul of Philadelphia.  They ( Goldmine) named the song wrong twice Gonna rather than Gotta on the white written test press GS2004 and Treat myself to a new love on the CD!! It sounds 60ts. Written by Frank Bendinelli and Leroy Lovett according to Discogs and on the you tube below. Is it the same Inspirations who recorded other great northern tracks such as no one else can take your place ( LA I think not Philly) and Your wish is my command (Chicago so different again. There was also a Touch me kiss me on black pearl - yet another different group I think?  

Any info appreciated thx. I searched on SS without success. Paul Temple

Goldmine Soul Supply CD (Treat Myself To A New Love) and their single play this version

The notes from GSS CD 

'The Inspirations - obviously a demo group, hence the name and not to be confused with Joey Jefferson's outfit from L.A. The three unreleased tracks are absolutely top notch'

My copy

20201231_115028.jpg

Edited by Scootboy
Social source share

The white Inspirations / Companions Benn-X originated from Dave Browns own site, a few years after the Yellow release. Back then the site was something like funkadelphia.com ? I see it's now phillyjazztime and it just shows the yellow release (sold out).

Dave Brown did do a sentence in the description explaining the renaming, but I can't rememberr what it said. Maybe Dave can shed some light on the reason for the renaming of "I Can Feel It".

Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

The plot thickens like my wife's gravy at New Year

45cat have the yellow one as a bootleg/repro

And this comment

This could possibly be the same group who are on Jamie as that is a Philly label.

https://www.45cat.com/record/brx17

inspirations.jpg

I'm not so sure these are even related?  The group on Benn-X were said to be a studio band who cut one side.  These are 10 years previous too.  Think the comment on 45cat is simply an assumption purely because of the name.

Social source share

17 hours ago, Rictic66 said:

Thanks VM guys - all great info. I thought they may be different versions and just played them both (but can’t find the CDs yet) - the Benn-X seems more polished, less raw. That would make sense that Tim let his acetate be released on a Goldmine TP. 

The different Groups all had at least one great release. 

PT

Goldmine released the title as they had the rights to Frank Bedinelli’s catalogue. The CD release was from master tapes I believe. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Robbk said:

The nyc Companions were Larry Banks and family’s group and they weren’t together in the later 60s when this was recorded. They we’re doing their own productions and wouldn’t have recorded for a Philly Indy production company 

Social source share

9 hours ago, Robbk said:

The yellow issue was definitely 2002 Robb.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Got the Kent CD out and the liner notes says the group is a West Philly group.  Its members were Jack Mitchell, William Thomas, Calvin Ogletree, Gerald King and Issac Albright.  They cut two tracks "I'm Cutting In and Treat Myself To A New Love.

The notes do say the group who cut 45 for Wand and Jamie could possibly be the same group.

The Companions, Larry Pinder, Ebert Holmes & Herman Johnson were the same group on General American.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!