Tommy Docherty. R.I.P

Posted (edited)

The former manager of Manchester United has sadly passed away today at the age of 92.

Thanks for the memories. 

Was a pleasure to meet and have a drink with you at the Widnes branch of the Manchester United supporters club end of season Dinner 

Sleep well and rest in peace Doc 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 15
  • Views 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The former manager of Manchester United has sadly passed away today at the age of 92. Thanks for the memories.  Was a pleasure to meet and have a drink with you at the Widnes branch of the M

Graham.  I forgot to add that he took over at United in 1972 when I first started watching them properly as a 13 year old.  I had been a few games beforehand but it was under the Doc that I was mesmer

Still remember the buzz around my club Rotherham  when the doc took over , I was only 12 at the time , he said he was going to get us out of the old Second Division and he did , we got relegated lol.

Posted (edited)

Still remember the buzz around my club Rotherham  when the doc took over , I was only 12 at the time , he said he was going to get us out of the old Second Division and he did , we got relegated lol. But he also gave us our best cup run and signed probably our greatest player in a swap deal from Notts County , Dave Watson who went on to play for England.

R.I.P Tommy

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Graham.  I forgot to add that he took over at United in 1972 when I first started watching them properly as a 13 year old.  I had been a few games beforehand but it was under the Doc that I was mesmerised by the way they played the football.  We got relegated the following year but what a journey that was never missed a single game for four years including at the time the saddest day of my young life when Southampton beat us at Wembley but then the most amazing day at Wembley the following year when we not only beat the bin dippers but stopped them winning the treble , which ironically we won on that barmy night in Barcelona in 1999 ( when I was there) to become the first and only club to win the holy grail of trophies.  

• Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Graham.  I forgot to add that he took over at United in 1972 when I first started watching them properly as a 13 year old.  I had been a few games beforehand but it was under the Doc that I was mesmerised by the way they played the football.  We got relegated the following year but what a journey that was never missed a single game for four years including at the time the saddest day of my young life when Southampton beat us at Wembley but then the most amazing day at Wembley the following year when we not only beat the bin dippers but stopped them winning the treble , which ironically we won on that barmy night in Barcelona in 1999 ( when I was there) to become the first and only club to win the holy grail of trophies.  

Steve , Yes United was a roller coaster under the Doc , but he signed some great players including wingers Steve Coppel.and Gordon Hill and also as you say won .

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Shinehead said:

Steve , Yes United was a roller coaster under the Doc , but he signed some great players including wingers Steve Coppel.and Gordon Hill and also as you say won an F.A cup.

Also I would think Tommy is also highly regarded at Aston Villa , I seem to remember them breaking all attendance records in the old Third Division in their promotion year.

Steve Coppell lived in Cronton on the outskirts of Widnes and if I remember rightly  Gordon Hill scored a hat trick on his debut against Millwall.  

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Shinehead said:

Still remember the buzz around my club Rotherham  when the doc took over , I was only 12 at the time , he said he was going to get us out of the old First Division and he did , we got relegated lol. But he also gave us our best cup run and signed probably our greatest player in a swap deal from Notts County , Dave Watson who went on to play for England.

R.I.P Tommy

Same at Preston probably the worst manager we ever had and that's saying something.

He was ,however, a great servant to the club as a player playing 324 games for us from 1949 to 1958 in the Tom Finney era so still remembered well at Preston as one of the greats in a then top side

RIP

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
20 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Snap

My dad had taken me to a few games before The Doc took over but my best memories of United in the 70s come from when he was in charge. The first game I saw at OT after he took over was the 2-2 draw against West Ham after he signed Lou Macari from Celtic....So many memories from that period, in the Stretford End for that infamous game against City when we went down, thousands on the travels when we were in the second division, 'We'd rather beat the blues than win the cup' bellowing round the ground against City on the Wednesday night derby at OT after the Southampton final etc etc etc....

A flawed character for sure (who isn't) & treated certain individuals shabbily, but gave me & thousands of others some of the most exiting days ever following United.

RIP Tommy Doc  

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

One of the true old school managers and players that came through the ranks and made it to the top . 

He certainly did sign some great players and had mixed fortune at Utd ...  

RIP Doc 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

We were only kids at the time, but Docs era was when we started going to Old Trafford by ourselves on the train and watching in The Stretford End. It was quite terrifying - but also exciting being a kid in there. I loved it! 

I distinctly recall my beloved 'Docs Red Army' scalf with drawings of all the players faces on it. I had a white tartan one and my brother red tartan. 

Seems a long, long time ago now. 

Thanks for the memories Tommy. 

Edited by Fish Fingers
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

When Tommy was at United, he lived in the same area that I grew up in and opposite his house were playing fields that we used to play football on every Sunday. (houses are there now) Now all being reds, we thought this was great especially when his lad, Mick, joined us a few times. I remember the time of the second division championship we called at his house for an autograph and ended up having a drink of tea/Orange juice with him. Great times at United👍

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

another one who started going in the Doc era. This is a good interview, very funny in parts

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

An interesting interview....he was certainly a 'marmite' personality. As a United fan i liked him, pulled no punches and and quite a divisive figure in the game. You hear Willie Morgan's account on certain things that happened between them, and it's totally contrary to what Tommy had previously said!! You just have to have an open mind as to what really went on. Some of the salaries that he divulged were quite surprising....seemed like peanuts at the time....but when i look back in 1969 my first wage packet as an Assistant Buyer for an adhesives company was seven pounds, seven shillings a week!!! 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

He went to court with Morgan....I think a few of the players that were shifted on were bitter but make no mistake the doc had to shift them on or it was his job gone. He got a new TV for winning the FA Cup and the directors rewarded themselves with a new tv after it was voted through. How times have changed.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Yeh...times have certainly changed! Made me laugh when he mentioned he wished his Dad had had him years and years later when football players salaries were going through the roof! It occurred to me during that interview that the Scots didn't seem to have much time for each other....thought it was the English they disliked....with a passion!

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

apparently, in years gone by the Scotland managers were leaned on by the Scottish FA to pick Scottish based players instead of those who left Scotland to play in England.

I doubt we will see the likes of the Doc again.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Rs: Tommy Dotson - 03 - Tommy Dotson
    Look At Your Box by keithw on Wed 11 Apr 2007