Show us your great photos 2021

Amsterdam Russ

12 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Not great photos but two to show how covid is affecting things as folk are finding what's on their doorstep. First photo is from February 2020 pre covid and how the path usually is. The second is from today and shows a mud fest after 1000's of feet over the past nine months or so. I wonder if the grass will ever return.

20200209_144509.jpg

20210115_132436.jpg

Andy.  Looks like a few dick head off road bike tracks there too mate 👍.  Not looking good for the grass though mate. Its the same around Elton reservoir one part of the path is almost knee deep in mud plus the lazy dirty bastard dog owners leaving dog crap or throwing the little black bags into the bushes is a down point. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Yes, a few use it to get on the Stratford meadows and you always get dirt bags hanging in the trees unfortunately. I'm usually on the other side where it's not as muddy as only half the number of people use that side but it is good that folk are getting out but if this is happening all over then it's not too good for the river banks and trails. Good and bad together I suppose.

Edited by Soulandy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

Maybe a subject for discussion on a new thread but the off road bikes are a real problem on the moor opposite my house, there are signs everywhere saying they are not permitted which always has me wondering where do people draw the line as to where the law doesn't apply to them. Paths are becoming unwalkable in some places. Another factor is unless you know the footpaths it is becoming harder for walkers from out of the area I would imagine to distinguish what is a legitimate path and what is a cycle track  These photos don't really convey the amount of damage actually being done. I have spoken to two local landowners who have both been threatened with violence confronting bikers.

I used to have less of a problem with mountain bikers but on some paths and one in particular that I have walked for the last twenty years which passes through National Trust land because of the nature of the path and restricted area for the path to deviate I can easily see within the next couple of years it being too dangerous to walk. 

Don't get me wrong I respect peoples right to roam but once water gathers in the tracks left by cyclists or bikers it becomes a slippery slope (no pun intended) to a mud bath and once that happens from what I have witnessed first hand said people move to the left or right and what was once a small footpath becomes a bog to be traversed.

Footpaths were once just that and no one I guess could have predicted the rise in Mountain biking as a leisure pursuit, I don't see an easy solution to an ever growing problem and can understand to some extent bikers not seeing anything wrong in how they enjoy the countryside but I honestly believe some areas will eventually become impassable even for them. 

apologies for the rant, 

IMG_20201106_132920[1].jpg

IMG_20201113_130206[1].jpg

DSC05004.JPG

It’s become worse with the advent of E bikes , I was on my local moor and two Billy Bunters on e bikes were coming up the hill gassing away , not even pedalling ffs It was a bit of a problem but got bigger with these sort of ‘cyclist ‘ they’ll even get home and put it on Strava lol ,  so they’ve shut it to cyclist , which I think they’ve done right and I go cyclocross and road biking . 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Stoat. . Absolute pleasure to see and photograph one of the  best UK mammals , they are a member of the Mustelidae family along with there bigger cousin Otters and there smaller cousin  Weasels and Polecats , Badgers and illegally released American Mink which are now happily declining  now that Otters are re-establishing themselves 

Stoat.jpg

We used to have one living in our garden when we were at Bowness-on-Solway. Dx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

Am I right in thinking that's a pair of Merganser?

I can't answer that Dave, I'm no expert on birdlife and on the day in question I only had my mobile for the photo, I never learn, I know I've set off out too many thinking should I take the camera and regretted not doing so. I've learnt something again on this thread though, I'd heard of the Goosander but not the Merganser, I'm going to have to pre pack my British Wildlife book and the camera in future though I'm not sure the outcome would be much different.

Social source share

28 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Looks like Goosander Dave. Merganser is the American name ? 

Spent years in the states Steve, seen ducks that would make some twitchers very envious.  And just found out why I shall continue to call them Merganser, their scientific name is Mergus merganser, so I feel somewhat justified.

Edited by Tattoodave
stupidity
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I'm envious Dave and I'm not a twitcher mate. 

Sure they are the same bird 

UK.-Goosander . US- Merganser just got different names either side of the Atlantic 

Just been going through my photographs and unfortunately I've only got a picture of the male Goosander and not the red headed female 

20210125_164530.jpg

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Looks like Goosander Dave. Merganser is the American name ? 

Surely Goosanders and Mergansers are different species? Either way they're an ecological disaster in our rivers - stripping them of fish at and appalling rate - and not really native, the first recorded breeding of a Merganser in Britain was 1906. Dx

Social source share

55 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Correct. There are two species of merganser in the UK: the red-breasted merganser (Mergus serrator) and the goosander (Mergus merganser).

A red breasted Merganser . Which no one mentioned Is a totally different bird than a Merganser or a Goosander.  Dave ( not Tattoodave  ) was saying Merganser and Goosander are different which they are not. Think there is crossed wires somehow 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

A red breasted Merganser . Which no one mentioned Is a totally different bird than a Merganser or a Goosander.  Dave ( not Tattoodave  ) was saying Merganser and Goosander are different which they are not. Think there is crossed wires somehow 

Yes, they're different birds, and I was confirming exactly that to Dave (Davenpete) who stated "Surely goosanders and mergansers are different species?"

However, while the Mergus merganser is known as a merganser in north America, it's a goosander in Europe. Best to stick to its common European name of goosander and all confusion will be avoided. :thumbup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Yes, they're different birds, and I was confirming exactly that to Dave (Davenpete) who stated "Surely goosanders and mergansers are different species?"

However, while the Mergus merganser is known as a merganser in north America, it's a goosander in Europe. Best to stick to its common European name of goosander and all confusion will be avoided. :thumbup:

Russell.  We can blame Tattoo dave for all this  then 😂😂😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share