Show us your great photos 2021

Amsterdam Russ

7 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Talking of Goosanders, there was one on the mersey this morning taking advantage of the lower levels of the river. It was down by about 12ft from a few days ago where the lower paths were completely under water. The canal was just as quiet 

20210125_101138.jpg

20210125_102034.jpg

20210125_110336.jpg

20210125_111148.jpg

River is well down now Andy.  

I used to draw that section of the canal on the boats far to often to win much, always won further back towards the M60 at Dane Road basin

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

River is well down now Andy.  

I used to draw that section of the canal on the boats far to often to win much, always won further back towards the M60 at Dane Road basin

I walk the canal from Brooklands to Crossford Bridge plaing fields, when it's quiet like this morning, making my way back along the mersey from Crossford Bridge. There was a couple of guys "magnet fishing" on the brooklands basin there last week and caught a bike, shopping trolley, wheel rims and the like. I don't think they would of won anything for them 🙂

Edited by Soulandy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell.  We can blame Tattoo dave for all this  then 😂😂😂

Ok by me. 🤪

Funny - the different names for birds in different parts of the world reminds me of a lesson at senior school when I was probably about 13 years old. In the lesson we had an alphabet quiz on animals. You know the thing: someone starts with the letter A and has to name something beginning with that letter related to the chosen subject. Then the next pupil has to name something beginning with B, etc, etc, etc.

When it came to my turn, I got the letter L and offered up "loon". The teacher said there's no such animal as a loon, so you're out of the game. I had to explain that loon was the north American name for the birds we call Divers (great northern, red-throated, etc).

Very begrudgingly, she accepted my answer and I stayed in the game.

Ha, and that reminds me of another time we had a geographical place name alphabet quiz (sorry, I'm digressing here). I was a couple of years younger. I think it was in first year of senior school. I got the letter T and came up with Transylvania. The teacher absolutely insisted there was no such place as Transylvania except in fiction, and therefore I was out of the game.

Teachers - what do they know, eh? (If there are any teachers walking among us here, I'm only joking.) :lol:

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Ok by me. 🤪

Funny - the different names for birds in different parts of the world reminds me of a lesson at senior school when I was probably about 13 years old. In the lesson we had an alphabet quiz on animals. You know the thing: someone starts with the letter A and has to name an something beginning with that letter related to the chosen subject. Then the next pupil has to name something beginning with B, etc, etc, etc.

When it came to my turn, I got the letter L and offered up "loon". The teacher said there's no such animal as a loon, so you're out of the game. I had to explain that loon was the north American name for the birds we call Divers (great northern, red-throated, etc).

Very begrudgingly, she accepted my answer and I stayed in the game.

Ha, and that reminds me of another time we had an alphabet quiz (sorry, I'm digressing here). I was a couple of years younger. I think it was in first year of senior school. I got the letter T and came up with Transylvania. The teacher absolutely insisted there was no such place as Transylvania except in fiction, and therefore I was out of the game.

Teachers - what do they know, eh? (If there are any teachers walking among us here, I'm only joking.) :lol:

Brilliant Russell.  You couldn't make it up.  

There's some amazing local names for birds  for example the Scribble lark which is the Yellowhammer,  or more correctly its eggs are patterned like someone has scribbled in ink on the shell, and that's what it was actually known as in the North East, Lincolnshire,  Norfolk and Suffolk area's 

Bronxie or Boxie. Scottish Islands names for a Skua. 

I'm sure there will be plenty more added to the list 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Brilliant Russell.  You couldn't make it up.  

There's some amazing local names for birds  for example the Scribble lark which is the Yellowhammer,  or more correctly its eggs are patterned like someone has scribbled in ink on the shell, and that's what it was actually known as in the North East, Lincolnshire,  Norfolk and Suffolk area's 

Bronxie or Boxie. Scottish Islands names for a Skua. 

I'm sure there will be plenty more added to the list 

"Yaffle" (green woodpecker) has always been one of my favourites, although as I understand it, the name is - or was - quite widely used in many parts of the land.

"Londoners" is also another favourite - once upon a time a West Country nickname for puffins, and born from the fact that - in the early days of tourism - Londoners visiting the spectacular rugged coastlines of that part of the world for the first time would stand staring out to sea with their hands behind their backs in a classic puffin pose!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

And another instance of my travels, the loon is the state bird of Minnesota, my home for ten years and I have a loon tattooed on my arm, loonie is also what the Canadians call their one dollar coin as there's a loon on the reverse, I lived in Toronto for 10 years too.

Out of interest, did you enjoy taunting your teachers?  I used to love winding them up.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Only very recently found out that Starlings only murmurate when there's predators about or they have recently been disturbed by them.

Not sure how that works because I used to see a large murmuration every night at Port Carlisle on the Solway on the way home from work every night in Autumn in the same place. Dx

Social source share

1 hour ago, Davenpete said:

Not sure how that works because I used to see a large murmuration every night at Port Carlisle on the Solway on the way home from work every night in Autumn in the same place. Dx

They still roost in the same place unless its Reed beds which they flatten then move on to the next suitable area.  But they will fly directly in to roost if there's no Peregrine Falcon , Sparrowhawk about, its only when there's predators about do they actually mermurate to confuse them..

At Marbury Park nr Northwich the Bitterns that migrate from Eastern Europe to spend the winter here have actually learnt to catch the Starlings as they come into roost.  Unbelievable to see but its to dark at dusk to manage a photograph as it takes place about 60 metres away across the western bay of the mere 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, Autumnstoned said:

Unfortunately not great photos, but spotted what I believe is a sparrow hawk yesterday on Putney Common at about 3.30pm. I was surprised last week to see a large seal swimming in the Thames between Putney Bridge and Craven Cottage ( too far away to get a decent picture on my camera phone unfortunately) and last summer I saw a kingfisher nearby hunting on Beverley Brook which joins the Thames in Putney. 

F26550B2-AAC2-44EB-9B5F-F558648C0C1D.jpeg

B40BF5AD-9B9E-4FC4-BB5F-51E6C5B9116F.jpeg

E73129A7-E209-4894-83BC-7D6583545690.jpeg

Looks like a Kestrel mate. Its got the characteristic perch out in the open ,looking for mice, voles etc. Sparrowhawk are much more of a ambush predator.

Seals do quite often venture up rivers normally looking for a easy meal of fish  that are a lot more restricted than fish out in the sea. Seen them eating Dace and roach above the tidal weir in Chester City centre on the river Dee and as far up river as Eccleston which is probably 4 miles upstream in fresh water . Same in the river Mersey at Warrington.  

Kingfisher will move to the coast in bad winters when the normal canals, lakes and even some rivers are frozen just to survive 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

A short clip of the female greater spotted woodpecker that visits my garden on a daily basis.  It was taken on my new trail cam.

Still trying to work out the best position for it and second guessing where the birds will actually land on the tree

Trail can eh, have fun getting the right place. I feel I need another 2 or 3 in different places especially over the badger set 👍

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Trail can eh, have fun getting the right place. I feel I need another 2 or 3 in different places especially over the badger set 👍

Andy. The one I have is from Aldi at £55  seems ok for the money . Colours are quite natural,  sound is clear, . Infrared works fine,  only black and white though.  3 years warranty supplied with various bits of kit to fix it to tree's,  walls,  fences etc plus memory card, batteries and USB to C type cable.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. The one I have is from Aldi at £55  seems ok for the money . Colours are quite natural,  sound is clear, . Infrared works fine,  only black and white though.  3 years warranty supplied with various bits of kit to fix it to tree's,  walls,  fences etc plus memory card, batteries and USB to C type cable.  

You're bound to get some great shots with it, good stuff 👍

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Rubbish one from today, Finally managed to see the stunning male Lesser Redpoll but a record shot will do until i can manage one in decent light and in the open or in flight

IB2A7693 (2).JPG

Used to see quite a few of these about 10/15 years ago. Can't say I've noticed many nowadays Great looking bird

Social source share

1 minute ago, Soulandy said:

Used to see quite a few of these about 10/15 years ago. Can't say I've noticed many nowadays Great looking bird

I only see them in the winter Andy. I was chuffed with the female picture that i posted recently but the male was very elusive then i think there was two about today but all the birds Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Willow Tit, Blue  and Great tits among others where so wary. A Sparrowhawk went through three times while i was there scattering everything so they would,nt settle mate

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Not sure what happened to the pics I posted up yesterday. They seem to have disappeared. No matter - here they are again. These were taken on a walk to our local lake on what was a gloriously bright winter's day.

1887506529_IMG_6058Crop.thumb.jpg.89d3633789202e1a0d87281592b8bcf6.jpg

947634937_IMG_6052crop.thumb.jpg.ce1f67306d0e1bbfc441dfa42b60d4e3.jpg

2121909987_IMG_6053crop.jpg.12a321d995e856945e3c9afa110694b7.jpg

1160181972_IMG_6049crop.jpg.cac717375b23b592cda12bb61191d979.jpg

They where definitely their Russell as I saw them.  😂

Social source share

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

ya profile page is s always a good place to check if ya think anything's  missing

It looks like you posted the pics in the coivd topic 👍

7 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

That will be an age thing Russ 😉

Thanks, Mike. At least I had actually posted the pics, even if it was in the wrong place! I've now deleted the pics from the COVID thread. 

Martyn - you're very probably right. Now where did I put my slippers?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I'm one of these people who sees faces in things. I once saw the face of Jesus in the fur of my teddy bear.... seriously. 

Today on the BBC news website was a photograph of two neanderthal teeth.  When I looked at the one on the right, I thought it was a joke? Can anyone else see Roy Wood from Wizard's bearded face, in front of a pyramid? To be honest I can see four faces in that tooth! Screenshot_20210201-102326.png.b519cd6f23ab0f1970245883f391eb9b.png

I can also see a Percheron stallion with a docked tail in the left hand one! 

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I'm one of these people who sees faces in things. I once saw the face of Jesus in the fur of my teddy bear.... seriously. 

Today on the BBC news website was a photograph of two neanderthal teeth.  When I looked at the one on the right, I thought it was a joke? Can anyone else see Roy Wood from Wizard's bearded face, in front of a pyramid? To be honest I can see four faces in that tooth! 

Sorry, no, I'm still sober, LOL

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Today on the BBC news website was a photograph of two neanderthal teeth.  When I looked at the one on the right, I thought it was a joke? Can anyone else see Roy Wood from Wizard's bearded face, in front of a pyramid? To be honest I can see four faces in that tooth! Screenshot_20210201-102326.png.b519cd6f23ab0f1970245883f391eb9b.png

I can see the pyramid . 😁

Social source share

4 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Yes I can see Mr Wood, and the whole tooth looks like a face and I'm stone cold sober 🙂

Social source share

57 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Hey Russ..

Have you got any good snaps of that knee deep lake near Lelystad to share? The one with the island in the middle reached only by boat.

Ed

I don't actually know it, but am guessing it's somewhere in the Nieuw Land National Park. That's in the province of Flevoland and about an hour away from us by car. Must check the park out when we're allowed to be out and about. Great opportunities for bird watching and thus photo taking.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Soulandy said:

Yes I can see Mr Wood, and the whole tooth looks like a face and I'm stone cold sober 🙂

Oh good! Yes the whole thing does look like a face.  Glad someone else can see Roy 🙂

This is my Scottish scene....658305693_IMG-20210109-WA00243_1610264320634.thumb.png.cdafe7c0c38ea60a538b5a418214a6e5.png

Social source share

2 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Me too, I once wrote a poem based on it, it's called Pareidolia if you weren't aware, hope the link works

https://www.lenstore.co.uk/eyecare/pareidolia-science

I knew it had a name, couldn't think of it?   I see faces everywhere and have for as long as I remember.  I sometimes get "the faces" at night when I close my eyes and facial images come out of the dark and morph into others.  That's a really weird experience.  I also have that thing where you see a repetitive pattern, usually in the dark, but with my eyes open.  That has a name too.  I'm sitting here now looking at a conifer hedge...there are faces everywhere!  Thankfully they're all smiling....  The funniest face I ever saw was Aretha Franklin in some condensation that had formed on my kitchen window.  👍🏼🙄. Anyway, aware this is a photography thread and not an ophthalmology forum so I'll hush up now.

Social source share