Show us your great photos 2021

Amsterdam Russ

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Can't believe what's turned up in Tenby. OMG 

Screenshot_20210327-171034_Instagram.jpg

Blimey, that's a bit unusual 🙂 I might be asking you about the bestplaces to see otters down that way as we are heading there early June. i wonder if he/she will still be there!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Blimey, that's a bit unusual 🙂 I might be asking you about the bestplaces to see otters down that way as we are heading there early June. i wonder if he/she will still be there!!

Andy. The walrus was first seen in Ireland a few weeks ago then disappeared only to turn up in Pembrokeshire last week 

I,m down there first two weeks in June mate. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. The walrus was first seen in Ireland a few weeks ago then disappeared only to turn up in Pembrokeshire last week 

I,m down there first two weeks in June mate. 

A week in Narberth. May have to have a beer if it's near to you 🙂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Great pic , thanks for sharing 

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Where i stay is two miles from Narberth mate. Defo meet up 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

30 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Spotted the kingfishers today after there nest site was badly disturbed last year. i wasn't sure if they'd be back but they were in and out of the nest site this afternoon. Not great photo's as they are fast so had the setting on burst mode. The still one is full on zoom and quite pixelated

Kingfisher (3).JPG

Kingfisher (7).JPG

Kingfisher (12).JPG

Kingfisher (14).JPG

Kingfishers are my favourites we did get

a few where I live in Berkshire, the colours are incredible, thanks for sharing 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I know. Its amazing. i think its a first to Neil. Shame i cant go to see it probably a once in a lifetime like when i was lucky enough to see the Bearded Vulture in Derbyshire last September

Just now, Neil Austin said:

Kingfishers are my favourites we did get

a few where I live in Berkshire, the colours are incredible, thanks for sharing 👍

In normal times I would have driven there to just for the experience, saw some seals last time I was in Cornwall 

that was cool 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. One was seen over central London the other week and in various places along the South Coast

The south coast I can understand Steve as there were several released on the Isle of Wight, London must have been a fun place to see one though.  I saw one take a ladies hat off at a falconry display many years ago in South Wales, most impressive.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

The south coast I can understand Steve as there were several released on the Isle of Wight, London must have been a fun place to see one though.  I saw one take a ladies hat off at a falconry display many years ago in South Wales, most impressive.

I should have looked at Andy's message before answering.  Doh!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

Down to the photos posted on here I reckoned I didn't need any more records for a day or two so spent my birthday money on a pair of binoculars. Did some research on a few birding sites and followed the advice, didn't want to do my usual trick of buying something expensive then never using it/them so went for one with good reviews. Happy with the ones I bought but maybe would have bought bigger magnification if I'd had the opportunity to test them first. 

So a big thanks to Steve, Martyn, Russ and everyone who posts up pics, made my walks a lot more enjoyable, resulted in a few conversations I probably would not have had with passing strangers, first day trying them brown bird turned out to be a Greenfinch, who knew them little brown birds had such a variety of markings and shades of brown, now had to send off for bird book to carry with me. Also great for spotting the elusive stile across a field on little used paths...not that there's many of those at the moment. Normally I would not complain but there's an awful lot of tits about 😉

Cheers chaps 👍 

Binocs are great for spotting birds of the feather, especially at this time of year as they make a racket looking for their patch to raise a family. There's some good apps out there with bird songs if you go down that route to help identify the ones you cant quite see. 

I also use them to look for stiles/gates, especially inthe hills, saves getting too lost 👍

• Up vote 2
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

bird songs if you go down that route to help identify the ones you cant quite see. 

Cheers Andy, thanks for reminding me, I thought about that when I was out walking and looked up some intending to download one when I got home, completely forgot. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

Down to the photos posted on here I reckoned I didn't need any more records for a day or two so spent my birthday money on a pair of binoculars. Did some research on a few birding sites and followed the advice, didn't want to do my usual trick of buying something expensive then never using it/them so went for one with good reviews. Happy with the ones I bought but maybe would have bought bigger magnification if I'd had the opportunity to test them first. 

So a big thanks to Steve, Martyn, Russ and everyone who posts up pics, made my walks a lot more enjoyable, resulted in a few conversations I probably would not have had with passing strangers, first day trying them brown bird turned out to be a Greenfinch, who knew them little brown birds had such a variety of markings and shades of brown, now had to send off for bird book to carry with me. Also great for spotting the elusive stile across a field on little used paths...not that there's many of those at the moment. Normally I would not complain but there's an awful lot of tits about 😉

Cheers chaps 👍 

Thank you for taking the time for commenting on the pictures.  All feed back good or bad is gratefully acceptable.  

Regarding the bino,s I use Celestron HD 8 x42 which are fantastic for the value and are comparable with one,s twice the price . Obviously not as good as the top of the range stuff from various manufacturers costing upwards of £1200. But perfect for my style of bird watching in general woodland areas where you don't need the reach like on estuaries or big open moorlands when 10 x 42 are more useful unless you want to go down the spotting scope route. There's a few apps that are good  Collins bird guide costs about £13 to download and is very , very detailed.  There are plenty of free ones available,  the one I use is Merlin 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Regarding the bino,s I use Celestron HD 8 x42

Those were the ones I bought Steve, I found they had good reviews across several sites, I bought the RSPB  guide which hopefully should arrive tomorrow. I honestly didn't think I would get as much pleasure as I have done from getting closer to wildlife.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Neil Austin said:

Steve that’s cool , in the south it’s all 

kites, 8 amazing 🙂

I will swap you Neil.  Last April was the very first time that I have ever seen a Red kite in the whole of the Greater Manchester area.  That's how rare they are still around here. 

I've got plenty of photographs of them from various places in Wales . 

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I will swap you Neil.  Last April was the very first time that I have ever seen a Red kite in the whole of the Greater Manchester area.  That's how rare they are still around here. 

I've got plenty of photographs of them from various places in Wales . 

Steve 

took ok my daughter to school which is a 40min drive and we counted 34 kites

on route which is our all time record 

we see kites every day , both kites and 

buzzards in Windsor great park  

great to see so many in our area 

cheers Neil 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Talking of red Kites, we went to a feeding station in mid Wales a few years back, not far from Hay-On-Wye, on a camping trip and there was hundreds of them, along with the crows a Buzzard and a female fox. A great site as they came from miles around for a couple of hours

DSCF6024.JPG

DSCF6035.JPG

DSCF6047.JPG

DSCF6054.JPG

DSCF6057.JPG

P1010377.JPG

Brilliant picture,s Andy.  Thanks for sharing them 😊

• Thanks 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Now we’re talking great pics 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulandy said:

Talking of red Kites, we went to a feeding station in mid Wales a few years back, not far from Hay-On-Wye, on a camping trip and there was hundreds of them, along with the crows a Buzzard and a female fox. A great site as they came from miles around for a couple of hours

DSCF6024.JPG

DSCF6035.JPG

DSCF6047.JPG

DSCF6054.JPG

DSCF6057.JPG

P1010377.JPG

Andy. There's a red kite feeding station not far from where my Dad is buried in mid Wales called Grigin farm. I've never actually been there yet but I pass it god knows how many times.  Its the actual place where they're first started feeding them back in the 80,s when they reckon there was only 6 red kites in the whole of Wales and possibly the UK.  What a success story 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Andy. There's a red kite feeding station not far from where my Dad is buried in mid Wales called Grigin farm. I've never actually been there yet but I pass it god knows how many times.  Its the actual place where they're first started feeding them back in the 80,s when they reckon there was only 6 red kites in the whole of Wales and possibly the UK.  What a success story 

Steve, that's the one we went to. From what I remember it's a cracking place. It was back in 2014, we stayed in Hay and went to the farm on the Friday, and kayaking on the Wye on the Sunday. A great success story, you need to visit one day 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

It was a claim to fame of mine in the late-mid 70s that I'd seen a pair of Red Kites in the middle of nowhere in the Upper Dovey valley at the old farm my school had been given to use as an outward bound centre.

I also saw 14 European Vultures high in the Pyrennes when on a family holiday around '79 when there were supposed to only be about 20 pairs in the whole of Europe - they were amazing, circling only 30 or 40 feet above us - they really are huge.

Dx

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share