Show us your great photos 2021

Amsterdam Russ

Great recordings Andy.  Looks like only 3 cubs have made it this far because from my experience they will be all out together at that age and as for  the lack of adults it's baffling mate but the cubs look healthy and fed enough so maybe they are getting looked after by camera shy adults.  

• Thanks 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Great recordings Andy.  Looks like only 3 cubs have made it this far because from my experience they will be all out together at that age and as for  the lack of adults it's baffling mate but the cubs look healthy and fed enough so maybe they are getting looked after by camera shy adults.  

Yeh, I may go for a peek tomorrow with my little camera or put the trail cam up in another place. Don't really want to be around too much but will leave it for a few weeks after that. I have seen adult foxes in the fields but they could be any. I'll certainly keep my eye on developments through the summer.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Widnes63 said:

Dave, everybody else is trying to get rid of them !!! 

Ste :thumbup:

I was waiting for the question "Why" Steve, they are a great indicator of soil condition, a brilliant nectar plant and great source of food, what's not to like?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Very short clip to shot the actual size of a Willow Warbler.  The bird in the clip was caught in a mist net  specifically set up for ringing,  weighing and overall health checks on birds before being released unharmed in the area it was caught.  This tiny bird will migrate to Africa in the late summer/ early autumn then all been well will return to the UK and roughly the same area next April.  

Wow Steve cracking set of pictures 

video is really cool , thanks for sharing 

8 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Just the few from 4 hours around Elton this morning

Roe Deer Buck and Willow Warbler. Home alone Sand Martin

IB2A9135 (2).JPG

IB2A9151 (2).JPG

IB2A9112 (3).JPG

IB2A9112 (2).JPG

Roe buck is a beauty, very luck to see

and photograph 👍 thanks steveSteve

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Went to see the fox cubs this afternoon and there are 5 of them. I have quite a bit of Trail cam footage but managed to get these zoomed in photos from amonsgt the trees. The poor cub with the bad hind leg seems to be doing OK but who knowsDSC01988.thumb.JPG.a09427596ff873f6a704debe21755616.JPG

DSC02077.JPG

DSC02084.JPG

DSC02094.JPG

DSC01999.JPG

DSC02072.JPG

Five. Wow. Definite adults are about then Andy. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Neil Austin said:

Wow Steve cracking set of pictures 

video is really cool , thanks for sharing 

Roe buck is a beauty, very luck to see

and photograph 👍 thanks steveSteve

Thanks Neil as always.

Not sure where you live Neil but they are very common around here now, even been sightings on my little street, 3 miles from Manchester City centre.  

The Willow Warbler is a cracking little bird with a fantastic song 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Five. Wow. Definite adults are about then Andy. 

Out of 217 clips on my Trail Cam, only one 20 seconds of the female and she just walked on by with no cubs insight. Plenty of playful cubs that will take some editing

• Thanks 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Neil as always.

Not sure where you live Neil but they are very common around here now, even been sightings on my little street, 3 miles from Manchester City centre.  

The Willow Warbler is a cracking little bird with a fantastic song 

Hi Steve , I live at the top end of Windsor great park, so we do get a lot

of birds, mainly kites and finches , lots

of monkjac, great place to be , not as remote as some of the wilder areas around Yorkshire, trough of bowland etc

each April I drive up to sizergh castle just north of carnforth , every time I have been I have seen hawfinches and bull finches a real treat and three miles

away the us an osprey next so great viewing 

definitely worth a day out 

all the best Neil 

Social source share

wow, that middle picture is fabulous, I'd return here mate and see if you can develop a shot of that, the perspective and the boat are very dynamic, as I like to say, if you could use the same light again, Dusk is it? maybe come out a bit, you really could have a very very nice shot from / of this little bay and those two little islands... there is a brilliant photograph in there, can see it...

I used to visit locations many times before I actually worked out how to photograph a place, what lens to use, what perspective, and then you wait for the light and a bit of Magic, and CLICK! 🙂  maybe your picture could lend it self to B&W approach?

Edited by Mal C
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Listen to me, we will be doing regular CRIT on here soon... Photographic students attend CRIT every week, on Fridays normally, its where you take a look, say what you feel and develop ideas, its cool...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Mal C said:

wow, that middle picture is fabulous, I'd return here mate and see if you can develop a shot of that, the perspective and the boat are very dynamic, as I like to say, if you could use the same light again, Dusk is it? maybe come out a bit, you really could have a very very nice shot from / of this little bay and those two little islands... there is a brilliant photograph in there, can see it...

I used to visit locations many times before I actually worked out how to photograph a place, what lens to use, what perspective, and then you wait for the light and a bit of Magic, and CLICK! 🙂  maybe your picture could lend it self to B&W approach?

Thanks for that Mal. Its off my phone but i do have one on my camera,  a small pocket point and shoot. It was after the sun had gone down and id just been watching an otter, no photo, but will try and get a couple more before we head home on Friday,  cheers 

Social source share

51 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Avocet. Emblem of the RSPB

IB2A9357 (2).JPG

Love The avocet Steve , saw my first

in minsmere Norfolk, great day out 

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Not been out much or on here. Pulled a muscle in my back and i,ve been in a bit of pain , getting there now so i thought i  would share with you a very special encounter i had recently with a  rare bird or a colony of them . Little Terns

Little Terns are  endangered in the UK and they only breed on very selective shingle beaches. The one at Gronant in North Wales is protected by a double fence , the inner one is to stop land based predators and the outer one  30 metres away from the inner fence is to stop humans from getting to close and disturbing them. 

IB2A9276 (2).JPG

IB2A9282 (2).JPG

IB2A9285 (2).JPG

Great pictures Steve hope you feel better 

Neil 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Neil Austin said:

Love The avocet Steve , saw my first

in minsmere Norfolk, great day out 

Great pictures Steve hope you feel better 

Neil 

Thanks Neil.  Avocet are stunning birds.

Wow Minsmere would love to go there.

About a 6 hour drive for me, It is on my list of places though.  got to hear nightingales.  

Feeling much better thanks , 😊 just tweaked a muscle in my back 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

23 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Neil.  Avocet are stunning birds.

Wow Minsmere would love to go there.

About a 6 hour drive for me, It is on my list of places though.  got to hear nightingales.  

Feeling much better thanks , 😊 just tweaked a muscle in my back 

Worth the trip Steve in the summertime 

the variety of waiders is brilliant 

a day to remember.

if you go the sizergh castle near milnthorpe closer to you , there are 

bull finche and hawfinche , took my

daughter who is a birder , had a great

day 

Social source share

8 hours ago, Davenpete said:

First Linnet I've seen on our feeders in a long time.

We're very very lucky with our birds here - These are what I've seen ON our feeders or ON the patio - (not including birds 'seen from' like Barn Owls, Egrets, Hooper Swans and Snow Geese):

Rook, Jacdaw, Magpie

Greater and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers (unfortunately we don't get these now as I've had to switch to caged feeders because of the rooks)

Blue, Great, Long Tailed, Marsh and Coal Tits

Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Starling

Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Tawny Owl

Chaffinch, Green Finch, Siskin, Brambling, Gold Finch, Linnet

Wood Pidgeon, Collared Dove, Stock Dove

Dunnock, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow

Willow Warbler and Wren

31 species!!!! I think that's it, but I may have forgotten a couple - interestingly we hardly ever see crows, and never on the patio. We also have bats in the gable covers!

Dx

Linnet.thumb.jpg.aa789a910a0bb43bbddb3970b6475f85.jpgBuzzard.thumb.jpg.00167e5ad4d4eea6a19ec637340d5c48.jpg

20200816_181333.jpg

Great photos

Saw a linnet up in Plockton as well as a great spotted woodpecker on the nut feeder 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Davenpete said:

First Linnet I've seen on our feeders in a long time.

We're very very lucky with our birds here - These are what I've seen ON our feeders or ON the patio - (not including birds 'seen from' like Barn Owls, Egrets, Hooper Swans and Snow Geese):

Rook, Jacdaw, Magpie

Greater and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers (unfortunately we don't get these now as I've had to switch to caged feeders because of the rooks)

Blue, Great, Long Tailed, Marsh and Coal Tits

Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Starling

Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Tawny Owl

Chaffinch, Green Finch, Siskin, Brambling, Gold Finch, Linnet

Wood Pidgeon, Collared Dove, Stock Dove

Dunnock, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow

Willow Warbler and Wren

31 species!!!! I think that's it, but I may have forgotten a couple - interestingly we hardly ever see crows, and never on the patio. We also have bats in the gable covers!

Dx

Linnet.thumb.jpg.aa789a910a0bb43bbddb3970b6475f85.jpgBuzzard.thumb.jpg.00167e5ad4d4eea6a19ec637340d5c48.jpg

20200816_181333.jpg

Great pictures thanks for sharing 

amazing close up 👍 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Neil Austin said:

Great pictures thanks for sharing 

amazing close up 👍 

Thanks - it literally IS a close-up of the sparrow hawk as it's with a cameraphone and NO ZOOM - I could literally have put out my hand and patted it on the head - it had crashed the bird feeders (they do it a lot - must say it's a bit barbaric the way they drag what they've snared through the caging) and was sat on the railings for about 15 minutes - I was worried it was injured - went to the window, it didn't move, went to the patio doors and opened them - still didn't move - I ended up this close - after a minute or two it flew off quite happily. Dx

Social source share

10 hours ago, Davenpete said:

Thanks - it literally IS a close-up of the sparrow hawk as it's with a cameraphone and NO ZOOM - I could literally have put out my hand and patted it on the head - it had crashed the bird feeders (they do it a lot - must say it's a bit barbaric the way they drag what they've snared through the caging) and was sat on the railings for about 15 minutes - I was worried it was injured - went to the window, it didn't move, went to the patio doors and opened them - still didn't move - I ended up this close - after a minute or two it flew off quite happily. Dx

Wow , once in a blue moon event, it so great when these things happen, such a privilege.

thank you 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Finally the clouds are starting to clear over Manchester.  Could even have a chance to photograph the full moon 🌝

Still only half way above the surrounding buildings yet though here in Blackley,  living in the bottom of this little valley so we will have to wait a while longer yet. 

Social source share

49 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Finally the clouds are starting to clear over Manchester.  Could even have a chance to photograph the full moon 🌝

Still only half way above the surrounding buildings yet though here in Blackley,  living in the bottom of this little valley so we will have to wait a while longer yet. 

Managed a few pictures but not sure how good, will have a look in the morning,  hand held and because of the moons position relative to where I live I  couldn't use a  tripod.  

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Not seen a hedgey out in the open in 20 years.

Quite a way from its home as well I suspect.

Ed

20210526_220115.jpg

Brilliant Ed. Can't remember the last one I actually saw. It was that long ago. Sad 😥. Growing up even in a heavy industrial/ chemical town like Widnes there was always plenty about 

Social source share