Show us your great photos 2021

Amsterdam Russ

“Maybe if you spent a little less time cavorting with Madam Palm and her five daughters, you’d be a little more alert, that sir is a toad"!

1f317be074206541404595e0bd8ce04f.200x195x1.jpg

sorry Russ, I simply could not resist.. been watching LOG all week... the piccie took me straight there! laughing

great pictures mate

• Up vote 2
Social source share

57 minutes ago, Mal C said:

“Maybe if you spent a little less time cavorting with Madam Palm and her five daughters, you’d be a little more alert, that sir is a toad"!

1f317be074206541404595e0bd8ce04f.200x195x1.jpg

sorry Russ, I simply could not resist.. been watching LOG all week... the piccie took me straight there! laughing

great pictures mate

Took me a while to work out what LOG was (TV comedy series League of Gentlemen, for anyone else stumped). :wink:

Have to disagree with you, though. It's an edible frog aka a common water frog, also known as a green frog. :thumbsup:

960px-Rana_esculenta_on_Nymphaea_edit.JP

(Wikipedia photo credit: Helge Busch-Paulick (Grand-Duc @ Wikipedia), CC BY 3.0)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_frog

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I know, I have these outbursts you see!! League of Gentlemen is utterly brilliant, I've been binge watching all again this week, this character's fetish with Toads is hilarious;  but I concede this amphibian could end up on a French dinner table...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Davenpete said:

Went up to Greendale Tarn above Wastwater tonight - lovely conditions, but it was a fair way straight up to get there. I had planned to come back over the top of Middle Fell but for various reasons I didn't arrive at the tarn til 8.00pm so thought better of it as it would've been getting too close to darkness for safety by the time I was coming down. Dx

27775706_DSC02169B.thumb.jpg711329775_DSC02154B.thumb.jpg1388792359_DSC02153C.thumb.jpg548357644_DSC02144B.thumb.jpg288870684_DSC02142B.thumb.jpg716029992_DSC02133B.thumb.jpg

Great pictures from your lovely part of the country  Dave. Little tip mate. Always carry a good torch and if possible a head torch when out on the fells , hills etc plus a whistle.  You never know.  Learnt that many years ago doing my Duke of Edinburgh when we got lost on the moors above Denbigh in North Wales 

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Great pictures from your lovely part of the country  Dave. Little tip mate. Always carry a good torch and if possible a head torch when out on the fells , hills etc plus a whistle.  You never know.  Learnt that many years ago doing my Duke of Edinburgh when we got lost on the moors above Denbigh in North Wales 

Cheers - I obviously have a torch on my phone (have a head torch in my bag though I'm not doing hikes to justify carrying significant kit at the mo) - I'm tending to stick to places where I can come straight down if weather gets bad or it starts getting dark. I travel light so only a water bottle, fully charged phone and a jacket unless it's really warm and a short walk. The injury risk is the problem of course as I'm alone (again hence not anywhere really 'serious') - trouble is I don't think people know what three blasts on a whistle means any more (they certainly don't know that a car travelling up hill in the mountains has priority). Dx

Edited by Davenpete
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Davenpete said:

Cheers - I obviously have a torch on my phone (have a head torch in my bag though I'm not doing hikes to justify carrying significant kit at the mo) - I'm tending to stick to places where I can come straight down if weather gets bad or it starts getting dark. I travel light so only a water bottle, fully charged phone and a jacket unless it's really warm and a short walk. The injury risk is the problem of course as I'm alone (again hence not anywhere really 'serious') - trouble is I don't think people know what three blasts on a whistle means any more (they certainly don't know that a car travelling up hill in the mountains has priority). Dx

That's very true Dave about the travelling up hill in a car. Where do these people learn to drive. Its like when your walking on a road with no pavement always walk facing oncoming traffic.  Dogs on leads etc Countryside code seems to have been lost somewhere. . Read something recently about some stupid woman complaining that her and her kids where in tears after a farmer shot their dog ( not on a lead )  in front of them  that was chasing sheep and lambs saying it was only playing.  Are people that fcuking stupid these days. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Davenpete said:

read this story and made me think of this topic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-57583418

one thing I do when by myself out walking is use WhatsApp to log your travels  with someone else - you can send someone a location link - then select live and then the length of time it logs your travels

then the person you sent it to can check the message on WhatsApp anytime afterwards to see where you are currently at via the message which will be tracking and displaying your journey

of course it depends on mobile coverage and can increase battery use, but may be useful if often walking alone

apologies if well known and for the offtopic but with the current news story thought worth a mention

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

read this story and made me think of this topic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-57583418

one thing I do when by myself out walking is use WhatsApp to log your travels  with someone else - you can send someone a location link - then select live and then the length of time it logs your travels

then the person you sent it to can check the message on WhatsApp anytime afterwards to see where you are currently at via the message which will be tracking and displaying your journey

of course it depends on mobile coverage and can increase battery use, but may be useful if often walking alone

apologies if well known and for the offtopic but with the current news story thought worth a mention

Cheers Mike. As i dont do any serious hill walking these days ( asthma ) , the only thing i can add is  as you say limited signal/ coverage for normal phones is a problem , not sure how these smart watches work  ? plenty of people have them these days.  Serious walkers use GPS systems these days, not cheap but what price a life.  where as i along side many people our age never had that luxury and learnt to use a map and compass to get around

Social source share

55 minutes ago, washlively said:

Manchester City the Ritz is just on the left on Whitworth St. Taken from the top of the First St Car Park.1320651809_oxfordrd.thumb.jpg.b26575d741a838212560cedb83c0c622.jpg

Great picture.  Whitworth Street is barely recognisable from before all the high rise apartments went up. Had some fantastic times at the Ritz. Neil Rushton dayers in the 70,s through to the fantastic nighters including the rarest of the rare one's until they ended .

Social source share

21 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Great picture.  Whitworth Street is barely recognisable from before all the high rise apartments went up. Had some fantastic times at the Ritz. Neil Rushton dayers in the 70,s through to the fantastic nighters including the rarest of the rare one's until they ended .

Indeed they were great all dayers. I think my first one was when Edwin Starr was on 70's and last one was one of the Rarest Of Rare. Those ROTR nighters were bloody brilliant all the big hitters DJ wise and all the Rare stuff you never got to hear played out at your local soul club.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

I used to meet a guy from Wigan in the Swan pub at Winwick when I lived in Widnes.  It was half way between the two.  Bit of business 😎😎😎

Yeah this spot isn't far from the Swan and is very popular with rail photographers. Ive had a few shots published taken from here over the years. But I've done it to death now so choose other locations. Thanks.

Dave

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 27/06/2021 at 13:27, Mal C said:

Hi folks, just done another nigher at Trinity waters in Somerset, very nice visit. Blanked on this one, lots of bites but missed all of them, in fact I think I was attracting Tench and they don't really act in the same way as carp, they are generally smaller and a bolt rig isn't the right way to catch them

I did get a new friend on peg 27 though....he ate all my mini cheadars!

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Great pictures 👍

Social source share

2 hours ago, Ncfc said:

Hard work but rewarding. Great to see swim off strong in clear water. 

IMG_20210704_173635.jpg

Great picture of a tough fighting fish. Love Mullet, seen a few a couple of weeks ago at Newquay in Wales staying right close to the breakwater rocks where the hunting Dolphins could,nt get them 

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Some.great bird shots again mate. We saw a few linnets up in Scotland back in May and a first. 👍

Thanks Andy ☺🙏.  Linnet are stunning birds especially the male in breeding plumage and great singers . They used to be fairly common farmland birds especially around the mosses near you mate. Hardly see any around here now. 

Social source share

13 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Andy ☺🙏.  Linnet are stunning birds especially the male in breeding plumage and great singers . They used to be fairly common farmland birds especially around the mosses near you mate. Hardly see any around here now. 

Yes, use to see some along with Redpoll, yellow hammers and black caps. Even seen the odd fire crest, sadly they all seen to be a bit thin on the ground 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Last week at Leighton Moss i had a encounter with one of the Uk most secretive birds . The Water Rail and for the very first time in my 50 odd years spent outside fishing, walking, taking pictures or just mooching i actually seen four young Water Rails , never ever seen the young before so i was gobsmacked to get to see them with a Adult crossing a track about 60 yards away at dusk. Managed to capture two of them together in this heavily cropped picture, pure black balls of fluff on legs

IB2A0792 (2).JPG

Hi Steve ,

great visit to Leighton park , looks like you also got the harrier there two , I went with my daughter and saw some bearded tits there , the guys said it was the first time in 5 months 

it’s a great place and the cherry on the top is your water rails 

well done 👏 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Neil Austin said:

Hi Steve ,

great visit to Leighton park , looks like you also got the harrier there two , I went with my daughter and saw some bearded tits there , the guys said it was the first time in 5 months 

it’s a great place and the cherry on the top is your water rails 

well done 👏 

Hi Neil.  Thank you for your kind words.  Really appreciated 🙏. Yes mate the Harrier was from there.  Just for you and your daughter  in case you didn't manage any photographs. Male and female Bearded Tits at Leighton Moss.  

IMG_20180823_184822_088.jpg

IMG_20180824_204419_703.jpg

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

23 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Hi Neil.  Thank you for your kind words.  Really appreciated 🙏. Yes mate the Harrier was from there.  Just for you and your daughter  in case you didn't manage any photographs. Male and female Bearded Tits at Leighton Moss.  

IMG_20180823_184822_088.jpg

IMG_20180824_204419_703.jpg

Yep what a beauty, you had a cracking 

day , who could ask for more 👏👍

• Thanks 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Davenpete said:

One bird (along with the crested tit) I've always wanted to see - fabulous pics. Dx

Best Laid Plans Mk2:

Hadn't been out for over two weeks (been recovering from a surfeit of fun). Anyway it was chucking it down here so on went the waterproof and off I went - stopped at the shop for a sandwich for tea and realised I'd forgotten my camera - nipped back to get it, checked it turned on and that the card was in - all good - off to Braithwaite for a planned three peaks above the old Coledale mines.

I get there and gone is the rain and it's 22ºC - so just shirt sleeves. Off I trot - after a mile or so I decide to do a shot back towards Bassenthwaite and Skiddaw - 'Your SD card is locked' it tells me - strange but no problem, I go to take the SD card out and move the lock slider back to unlock and it's missing altogether so I can't fix it - bollocks!

Anyway at this point I think sod it I'm doing the lazy hike without the peaks (though I did venture up to the corrie high above the mine where I'd not been before) - lovely walk anyway, if weighted down by a rather heavy sling for my left arm/neck that I like to protect from overuse. Shots with the phone instead - from now on I'll always carry a spare SD methinks.

Dx20210707_183515.thumb.jpg.42e5bfe1a7c0ccfcf8d4977ddd04593c.jpg20210707_181226.thumb.jpg.d2858b23b73fcca6b70fe19fe4be0be2.jpg20210707_173734.thumb.jpg.eabd46b93fa2de648612b79090945306.jpg20210707_160631.thumb.jpg.8c80806bdfb7742bba760c67a7037307.jpg

Great pictures Dave. And yes always have a spare memory card 🤔😁

Regarding the Bearded tits.  Not far from you at RSPB Leighton Moss 1 hrs or so. If you go at the end of September,  early October they will be so easy to see mate. They change the diet from insects to seeds and they eat grit from the path or from the trays that are out out for them. You don't even need to be a RSPB member.  About 200 yards past the main carpark on storrs Lane you will see a track on your right hand side.  Park in the small lay-by type thing just past the track then walk down the track about 400 yards until you see a fenced area on your r/ h side. The Bearded tits will be there or there about.  It's on a  public footpath . 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Yesterday evening i was busy watching three Marsh Harrier young in the distance  getting there wings so to speak as they flapped about awkwardly when i noticed something move out the corner of my eye. One of the UK rarest birds took off from the reed bed and flew away from near where i was. I managed a few pictures then moments later it gave a distant fly past. a Bittern

Red Deer Hind and Fawn

IB2A0884 (2).JPG

IB2A0885 (2).JPG

IB2A0886 (2).JPG

IB2A0892 (2).JPG

IB2A0925 (2).JPG

IB2A0930 (2).JPG

Steve a bitten never seen one , it’s on my bucket list , what a week 👏

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Neil Austin said:

Steve a bitten never seen one , it’s on my bucket list , what a week 👏

Thanks Neil.  👍.  I'm lucky enough to have seen a few Bitterns over the years at I think 3 different places.  Even been lucky enough to hear one Booming.  Sounds like blowing across the top of a milk bottle   really does.  I think Norfolk / Suffolk will be the closest place to you mate to see / hear them. Lot easy to see  in the winter when more turn up from Europe to escape the bad Winters . 

Social source share

15 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Neil.  👍.  I'm lucky enough to have seen a few Bitterns over the years at I think 3 different places.  Even been lucky enough to hear one Booming.  Sounds like blowing across the top of a milk bottle   really does.  I think Norfolk / Suffolk will be the closest place to you mate to see / hear them. Lot easy to see  in the winter when more turn up from Europe to escape the bad Winters . 

Steve 

took my daughter to minsmere and she

saw a bittern And I missed it 😣 I did

see a curlew and avocets which as amazing and loads of sandpipers too 

best 👍

• Up vote 2
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Here's another Chough picture from my recent visit to Pembrokeshire. The call is so unforgettable just wish i could add it to this picture. It is the sound of Pembrokeshire for me

am not sure if this is getting shown uk wide, it doesnt seem to be, episode 2 was on BBC Wales tonight, and caught some references from this topic, so guess may be of interest if not aware

Iolo Williams explores Pembrokeshire’s stunning secret spots and tracks down the amazing wildlife living there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000xqr0/iolos-pembrokeshire-series-1-episode-1

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Source said:

am not sure if this is getting shown uk wide, it doesnt seem to be, episode 2 was on BBC Wales tonight, and caught some references from this topic, so guess may be of interest if not aware

Iolo Williams explores Pembrokeshire’s stunning secret spots and tracks down the amazing wildlife living there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000xqr0/iolos-pembrokeshire-series-1-episode-1

Thanks Mike. Most people wont know about it but i,m watching it on Virgin media channel 864 BBC Wales if you have it ,  It was the 2nd of 4 episodes this evening.  and as you have mention now available on the iplayer

Social source share

4 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

I was sent this last  night and it was taken Monday night- early hours Tuesday morning.  Just had to share this amazing photo by Laura Maerees of a beach in Pembrokeshire with the bio- luminescence in the waves and planet Jupiter and the stars . I know the beach but out of respect of Laura's wishes I will not say where it is. 

Screenshot_20210713-220532_Instagram.jpg

Fantastic 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

I was sent this last  night and it was taken Monday night- early hours Tuesday morning.  Just had to share this amazing photo by Laura Maerees of a beach in Pembrokeshire with the bio- luminescence in the waves and planet Jupiter and the stars . I know the beach but out of respect of Laura's wishes I will not say where it is. 

Screenshot_20210713-220532_Instagram.jpg

Steve wonderful picture, thanks for sharing, Jupiter’s massive 

• Thanks 1
Social source share