Jump to content

Show us your great photos 2021


Recommended Posts

Posted
7 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Talking of Goosanders, there was one on the mersey this morning taking advantage of the lower levels of the river. It was down by about 12ft from a few days ago where the lower paths were completely under water. The canal was just as quiet 

 

20210125_101138.jpg

20210125_102034.jpg

20210125_110336.jpg

20210125_111148.jpg

River is well down now Andy.  

I used to draw that section of the canal on the boats far to often to win much, always won further back towards the M60 at Dane Road basin

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 178
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Frosty Doncaster walk today 1200 noon Doncasters very own Whitewall

A walk in the mist at Grune Point near Silloth today... The other version of the windswept tree - prefer the ground on this one...

Happy New Year to one and all. Let's hope 2021 sees some sort of return to normal as the weeks and months roll on Running annually since 2013, this is the 9th photography thread. Thanks to everyo

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

River is well down now Andy.  

I used to draw that section of the canal on the boats far to often to win much, always won further back towards the M60 at Dane Road basin

I walk the canal from Brooklands to Crossford Bridge plaing fields, when it's quiet like this morning, making my way back along the mersey from Crossford Bridge. There was a couple of guys "magnet fishing" on the brooklands basin there last week and caught a bike, shopping trolley, wheel rims and the like. I don't think they would of won anything for them 🙂

Edited by Soulandy
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell.  We can blame Tattoo dave for all this  then 😂😂😂

Ok by me. 🤪

Funny - the different names for birds in different parts of the world reminds me of a lesson at senior school when I was probably about 13 years old. In the lesson we had an alphabet quiz on animals. You know the thing: someone starts with the letter A and has to name something beginning with that letter related to the chosen subject. Then the next pupil has to name something beginning with B, etc, etc, etc.

When it came to my turn, I got the letter L and offered up "loon". The teacher said there's no such animal as a loon, so you're out of the game. I had to explain that loon was the north American name for the birds we call Divers (great northern, red-throated, etc).

Very begrudgingly, she accepted my answer and I stayed in the game.

Ha, and that reminds me of another time we had a geographical place name alphabet quiz (sorry, I'm digressing here). I was a couple of years younger. I think it was in first year of senior school. I got the letter T and came up with Transylvania. The teacher absolutely insisted there was no such place as Transylvania except in fiction, and therefore I was out of the game.

Teachers - what do they know, eh? (If there are any teachers walking among us here, I'm only joking.) :lol:

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
26 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Ok by me. 🤪

Funny - the different names for birds in different parts of the world reminds me of a lesson at senior school when I was probably about 13 years old. In the lesson we had an alphabet quiz on animals. You know the thing: someone starts with the letter A and has to name an something beginning with that letter related to the chosen subject. Then the next pupil has to name something beginning with B, etc, etc, etc.

When it came to my turn, I got the letter L and offered up "loon". The teacher said there's no such animal as a loon, so you're out of the game. I had to explain that loon was the north American name for the birds we call Divers (great northern, red-throated, etc).

Very begrudgingly, she accepted my answer and I stayed in the game.

Ha, and that reminds me of another time we had an alphabet quiz (sorry, I'm digressing here). I was a couple of years younger. I think it was in first year of senior school. I got the letter T and came up with Transylvania. The teacher absolutely insisted there was no such place as Transylvania except in fiction, and therefore I was out of the game.

Teachers - what do they know, eh? (If there are any teachers walking among us here, I'm only joking.) :lol:

Brilliant Russell.  You couldn't make it up.  

There's some amazing local names for birds  for example the Scribble lark which is the Yellowhammer,  or more correctly its eggs are patterned like someone has scribbled in ink on the shell, and that's what it was actually known as in the North East, Lincolnshire,  Norfolk and Suffolk area's 

Bronxie or Boxie. Scottish Islands names for a Skua. 

I'm sure there will be plenty more added to the list 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Brilliant Russell.  You couldn't make it up.  

There's some amazing local names for birds  for example the Scribble lark which is the Yellowhammer,  or more correctly its eggs are patterned like someone has scribbled in ink on the shell, and that's what it was actually known as in the North East, Lincolnshire,  Norfolk and Suffolk area's 

Bronxie or Boxie. Scottish Islands names for a Skua. 

I'm sure there will be plenty more added to the list 

"Yaffle" (green woodpecker) has always been one of my favourites, although as I understand it, the name is - or was - quite widely used in many parts of the land.

"Londoners" is also another favourite - once upon a time a West Country nickname for puffins, and born from the fact that - in the early days of tourism - Londoners visiting the spectacular rugged coastlines of that part of the world for the first time would stand staring out to sea with their hands behind their backs in a classic puffin pose!

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

When it came to my turn, I got the letter L and offered up "loon". The teacher said there's no such animal as a loon, so you're out of the game. I had to explain that loon was the north American name for the birds we call Divers (great northern, red-throated, etc).

And another instance of my travels, the loon is the state bird of Minnesota, my home for ten years and I have a loon tattooed on my arm, loonie is also what the Canadians call their one dollar coin as there's a loon on the reverse, I lived in Toronto for 10 years too.

Out of interest, did you enjoy taunting your teachers?  I used to love winding them up.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
30 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

Out of interest, did you enjoy taunting your teachers?  I used to love winding them up.

What, and risk the wrath of my mum? No chance! 😮😂

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
22 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Only very recently found out that Starlings only murmurate when there's predators about or they have recently been disturbed by them.

Not sure how that works because I used to see a large murmuration every night at Port Carlisle on the Solway on the way home from work every night in Autumn in the same place. Dx

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Davenpete said:

Not sure how that works because I used to see a large murmuration every night at Port Carlisle on the Solway on the way home from work every night in Autumn in the same place. Dx

They still roost in the same place unless its Reed beds which they flatten then move on to the next suitable area.  But they will fly directly in to roost if there's no Peregrine Falcon , Sparrowhawk about, its only when there's predators about do they actually mermurate to confuse them..

At Marbury Park nr Northwich the Bitterns that migrate from Eastern Europe to spend the winter here have actually learnt to catch the Starlings as they come into roost.  Unbelievable to see but its to dark at dusk to manage a photograph as it takes place about 60 metres away across the western bay of the mere 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

A short clip of the female greater spotted woodpecker that visits my garden on a daily basis.  It was taken on my new trail cam.

Still trying to work out the best position for it and second guessing where the birds will actually land on the tree

 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Unfortunately not great photos, but spotted what I believe is a sparrow hawk yesterday on Putney Common at about 3.30pm. I was surprised last week to see a large seal swimming in the Thames between Putney Bridge and Craven Cottage ( too far away to get a decent picture on my camera phone unfortunately) and last summer I saw a kingfisher nearby hunting on Beverley Brook which joins the Thames in Putney. 

F26550B2-AAC2-44EB-9B5F-F558648C0C1D.jpeg

B40BF5AD-9B9E-4FC4-BB5F-51E6C5B9116F.jpeg

E73129A7-E209-4894-83BC-7D6583545690.jpeg

  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
Just now, Autumnstoned said:

Unfortunately not great photos, but spotted what I believe is a sparrow hawk yesterday on Putney Common at about 3.30pm. I was surprised last week to see a large seal swimming in the Thames between Putney Bridge and Craven Cottage ( too far away to get a decent picture on my camera phone unfortunately) and last summer I saw a kingfisher nearby hunting on Beverley Brook which joins the Thames in Putney. 

F26550B2-AAC2-44EB-9B5F-F558648C0C1D.jpeg

B40BF5AD-9B9E-4FC4-BB5F-51E6C5B9116F.jpeg

E73129A7-E209-4894-83BC-7D6583545690.jpeg

Looks like a Kestrel mate. Its got the characteristic perch out in the open ,looking for mice, voles etc. Sparrowhawk are much more of a ambush predator.

Seals do quite often venture up rivers normally looking for a easy meal of fish  that are a lot more restricted than fish out in the sea. Seen them eating Dace and roach above the tidal weir in Chester City centre on the river Dee and as far up river as Eccleston which is probably 4 miles upstream in fresh water . Same in the river Mersey at Warrington.  

Kingfisher will move to the coast in bad winters when the normal canals, lakes and even some rivers are frozen just to survive 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

A short clip of the female greater spotted woodpecker that visits my garden on a daily basis.  It was taken on my new trail cam.

Still trying to work out the best position for it and second guessing where the birds will actually land on the tree

 

 

Trail can eh, have fun getting the right place. I feel I need another 2 or 3 in different places especially over the badger set 👍

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Trail can eh, have fun getting the right place. I feel I need another 2 or 3 in different places especially over the badger set 👍

Andy. The one I have is from Aldi at £55  seems ok for the money . Colours are quite natural,  sound is clear, . Infrared works fine,  only black and white though.  3 years warranty supplied with various bits of kit to fix it to tree's,  walls,  fences etc plus memory card, batteries and USB to C type cable.  

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
43 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. The one I have is from Aldi at £55  seems ok for the money . Colours are quite natural,  sound is clear, . Infrared works fine,  only black and white though.  3 years warranty supplied with various bits of kit to fix it to tree's,  walls,  fences etc plus memory card, batteries and USB to C type cable.  

You're bound to get some great shots with it, good stuff 👍

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 25/01/2021 at 16:31, Winsford Soul said:

 

UK.-Goosander . US- Merganser just got different names either side of the Atlantic 

UK - Water Rail  ...  US - Virginia Rail 

534_064.jpg.8e67b39333f5ccf56fc47dfe1f0c6098.jpg

  • Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Martyn Pitt said:

UK - Water Rail  ...  US - Virginia Rail 

534_064.jpg.8e67b39333f5ccf56fc47dfe1f0c6098.jpg

I'm glad it's not a British Rail as I'd be even more confused

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Sorting out something for my next "Cable Table" while listening to the BVAN. The 1st one was a straight Bottle Top Table which was meant for outside use but has pride and place inside now. The second one, which is bigger, will be a memories one and will be used outside. Might take a bit of time but will post a pic when its all complete

1st Table.jpg

TABLE (13).jpg

Edited by Soulandy
  • Up vote 7
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Rubbish one from today, Finally managed to see the stunning male Lesser Redpoll but a record shot will do until i can manage one in decent light and in the open or in flight

IB2A7693 (2).JPG

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Rubbish one from today, Finally managed to see the stunning male Lesser Redpoll but a record shot will do until i can manage one in decent light and in the open or in flight

IB2A7693 (2).JPG

Used to see quite a few of these about 10/15 years ago. Can't say I've noticed many nowadays Great looking bird

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Soulandy said:

Used to see quite a few of these about 10/15 years ago. Can't say I've noticed many nowadays Great looking bird

 

I only see them in the winter Andy. I was chuffed with the female picture that i posted recently but the male was very elusive then i think there was two about today but all the birds Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Willow Tit, Blue  and Great tits among others where so wary. A Sparrowhawk went through three times while i was there scattering everything so they would,nt settle mate

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Kingfisher ( Female )

Ive finally managed to get the elusive female picture that i,ve been trying to get for years and it was sat in glorious sunshine making it seem like it was glowing.  

For anyone who wants to tell them apart the Male has a completely black beak where as the Female has a orange lower mandible 

 

IB2A7707 (2).JPG

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 7
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Not sure what happened to the pics I posted up yesterday. They seem to have disappeared. No matter - here they are again. These were taken on a walk to our local lake on what was a gloriously bright winter's day.

1887506529_IMG_6058Crop.thumb.jpg.89d3633789202e1a0d87281592b8bcf6.jpg

947634937_IMG_6052crop.thumb.jpg.ce1f67306d0e1bbfc441dfa42b60d4e3.jpg

2121909987_IMG_6053crop.jpg.12a321d995e856945e3c9afa110694b7.jpg

1160181972_IMG_6049crop.jpg.cac717375b23b592cda12bb61191d979.jpg

 

  • Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
12 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Not sure what happened to the pics I posted up yesterday. They seem to have disappeared. No matter - here they are again. These were taken on a walk to our local lake on what was a gloriously bright winter's day.

1887506529_IMG_6058Crop.thumb.jpg.89d3633789202e1a0d87281592b8bcf6.jpg

947634937_IMG_6052crop.thumb.jpg.ce1f67306d0e1bbfc441dfa42b60d4e3.jpg

2121909987_IMG_6053crop.jpg.12a321d995e856945e3c9afa110694b7.jpg

1160181972_IMG_6049crop.jpg.cac717375b23b592cda12bb61191d979.jpg

 

They where definitely their Russell as I saw them.  😂

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
38 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Must be gremlins!

ya profile page is s always a good place to check if ya think anything's  missing

It looks like you posted the pics in the coivd topic 👍

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

 

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

ya profile page is s always a good place to check if ya think anything's  missing

It looks like you posted the pics in the coivd topic 👍

7 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

That will be an age thing Russ 😉

Thanks, Mike. At least I had actually posted the pics, even if it was in the wrong place! I've now deleted the pics from the COVID thread. 

Martyn - you're very probably right. Now where did I put my slippers?

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I couldn't remember where I had seen them Russell, just that I had, thought it was in this thread but obviously not and that is only adding fuel to Mr Pitt,s theory about age. 🤫😂🤫

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

I couldn't remember where I had seen them Russell, just that I had, thought it was in this thread but obviously not and that is only adding fuel to Mr Pitt,s theory about age. 🤫😂🤫

I was going to say something witty about age and memory loss but I can't remember what it was now! :D

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I'm one of these people who sees faces in things. I once saw the face of Jesus in the fur of my teddy bear.... seriously. 

Today on the BBC news website was a photograph of two neanderthal teeth.  When I looked at the one on the right, I thought it was a joke? Can anyone else see Roy Wood from Wizard's bearded face, in front of a pyramid? To be honest I can see four faces in that tooth! Screenshot_20210201-102326.png.b519cd6f23ab0f1970245883f391eb9b.png

I can also see a Percheron stallion with a docked tail in the left hand one! 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I'm one of these people who sees faces in things. I once saw the face of Jesus in the fur of my teddy bear.... seriously. 

Today on the BBC news website was a photograph of two neanderthal teeth.  When I looked at the one on the right, I thought it was a joke? Can anyone else see Roy Wood from Wizard's bearded face, in front of a pyramid? To be honest I can see four faces in that tooth! 

I can also see a Percheron stallion with a docked tail in the left hand one! 

Sorry, no, I'm still sober, LOL

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
22 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I'm one of these people who sees faces in things. I once saw the face of Jesus in the fur of my teddy bear.... seriously. 

Today on the BBC news website was a photograph of two neanderthal teeth.  When I looked at the one on the right, I thought it was a joke? Can anyone else see Roy Wood from Wizard's bearded face, in front of a pyramid? To be honest I can see four faces in that tooth! Screenshot_20210201-102326.png.b519cd6f23ab0f1970245883f391eb9b.png

I can also see a Percheron stallion with a docked tail in the left hand one! 

I can see the pyramid . 😁

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I'm one of these people who sees faces in things. I once saw the face of Jesus in the fur of my teddy bear.... seriously. 

Today on the BBC news website was a photograph of two neanderthal teeth.  When I looked at the one on the right, I thought it was a joke? Can anyone else see Roy Wood from Wizard's bearded face, in front of a pyramid? To be honest I can see four faces in that tooth! Screenshot_20210201-102326.png.b519cd6f23ab0f1970245883f391eb9b.png

I can also see a Percheron stallion with a docked tail in the left hand one! 

Yes I can see Mr Wood, and the whole tooth looks like a face and I'm stone cold sober 🙂

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Hey Russ..

Have you got any good snaps of that knee deep lake near Lelystad to share? The one with the island in the middle reached only by boat.

Ed

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
57 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Hey Russ..

Have you got any good snaps of that knee deep lake near Lelystad to share? The one with the island in the middle reached only by boat.

Ed

I don't actually know it, but am guessing it's somewhere in the Nieuw Land National Park. That's in the province of Flevoland and about an hour away from us by car. Must check the park out when we're allowed to be out and about. Great opportunities for bird watching and thus photo taking.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
18 hours ago, Soulandy said:

Yes I can see Mr Wood, and the whole tooth looks like a face and I'm stone cold sober 🙂

Oh good! Yes the whole thing does look like a face.  Glad someone else can see Roy 🙂

This is my Scottish scene....658305693_IMG-20210109-WA00243_1610264320634.thumb.png.cdafe7c0c38ea60a538b5a418214a6e5.png

  • Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Me too, I once wrote a poem based on it, it's called Pareidolia if you weren't aware, hope the link works

https://www.lenstore.co.uk/eyecare/pareidolia-science

I knew it had a name, couldn't think of it?   I see faces everywhere and have for as long as I remember.  I sometimes get "the faces" at night when I close my eyes and facial images come out of the dark and morph into others.  That's a really weird experience.  I also have that thing where you see a repetitive pattern, usually in the dark, but with my eyes open.  That has a name too.  I'm sitting here now looking at a conifer hedge...there are faces everywhere!  Thankfully they're all smiling....  The funniest face I ever saw was Aretha Franklin in some condensation that had formed on my kitchen window.  👍🏼🙄. Anyway, aware this is a photography thread and not an ophthalmology forum so I'll hush up now.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Great Things, Great Condition, Great Prices - All £10.00
    Record Sales by Roger Banks on Sat 25 Apr 2020
    • 1 / 687
    • Roger Banks on 25 Apr 2020
  2. Show Us Your Great Photos (2020)
    Freebasing by Amsterdam Russ on Wed 01 Jan 2020
    • 1556 / 56626
    • Amsterdam Russ on 01 Jan 2021
  3. 55 Great Titles Great Prices
    Record Sales by Sleeps45 on Tue 27 Dec 2011
    • 2 / 1017
    • Sleeps45 on 29 Dec 2011
  4. Great List Of Classic Dancers All Great 45s
    Record Sales by Raresoul45s on Fri 03 Jun 2011
    • 1 / 684
    • Raresoul45s on 03 Jun 2011
  5. The Wifey's Clear Out - Part 3 - Great 45's At Great Prices
    Record Sales by Benji on Thu 11 Feb 2010
    • 1 / 694
    • Benji on 11 Feb 2010
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.