I Love This Label Design

Pete S

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Me too! If I'm not mistaken, it's Vinny Catalano's other label. His main label was Blast records, whose biggest hit was "Coney Island Baby" by the Excellents. If you like doo wop, I highly reccomend "The Closer You Are" by the Magnificent Four (WHALE #506).

Doo Wop was my transition into northern soul. I was heavily into it because I grew up just 3 miles from Jeff Kreiter, the man who has the vocal group price guide. Jeff and I comprised two out of the three or four record collectors where I lived, so it was inevitable that I would become acquainted with him. He exposed me to a lot of rare doo wop sounds, black and white groups. Things like Lou Ragland on Way Out were like holy grails to him. He had this miniscule soul section of his doo wop 45 collection and I used to turn over all of his ballads to discover sounds like "Love From the Far East" by the Master Four, "Is It All Gone" by the Magicians, "Do This For Me" by the Lovers, etc. That sound was really starting to grab me.

He even said I think that's what they call "northern soul". He handed me a couple of back issues of Craig Moerer's lists, and I never looked back...

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Jas

I picked up a doo wap thing just cos of the label:

The Dell Vikings - Come go with me, on Fee Bee

I've managed to find out a bit about the group, and it seems this was recorded at their first seession, in 1955. Any idea if it is worth anything?

And as I dont have a record player at home, would it sound any good at a soul night? I'm a little wooried from what I have learned about the group that it may be a bit Rock n Roll. If it is I might send it to Chalky, he likes that kinda stuff :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Cheers Pete. It was one of those 99c, 1 minute to go, no bids. So I picked it up. really it was half because of the label, and half because i thought it said Come and go with me, and I thought it might be the same song as Gloria Jones :thumbsup:

Social source share

Cheers Pete. It was one of those 99c, 1 minute to go, no bids. So I picked it up. really it was half because of the label, and half because i thought it said Come and go with me, and I thought it might be the same song as Gloria Jones  :thumbsup:

link

It IS the same song Mikey :D:D:)

Social source share

Mikey,

This record was actually recorded in 1957. It was originally on Fee Bee with an orange label and a bee on it. That pressing is very valuable. In the 60s, a plain red label was pressed with "Whispering Bells' their other big hit on the back. The Del Vikings are about one of the best doo wop groups around and put a lot of stuff on a lot of different labels. I wouldn't play it at a northern do, though. A Carolina Beach Music do...definitely.

Pete,

This is what I know. Yes, Chuck Jackson was a member of the group, but not on this particular recording. Since the group consisted of a bunch of guys stationed in the army together in Pittsburgh, the personnell constantly changed and split up, because of military assignments. Eventually, by 1958, there were TWO groups of Del Vikings, each with original members, recording at the very same time. One group was on Dot and the other was on Mercury. The Mercury Group was fronted by Gus Backus, the white lead vocal on "Come Go With Me". The Dot group was fronted by Kripp Johnson, the black lead vocal on "Whispering Bells", which eventually had Chuck Jackson in it. Both groups had some great talent and some really great sides. It gets confusing though, beause so many people passed in and out of that group. Plus, they've been on a myriad of labels.

As far as doo wop ballads go, I must reccomend "The Sun" on Alpine. It's truly mindblowing! The guy singing the lead sounds like Rick James. It's surreal! As far as northern soul is concerned, I really reccomend "Bring Back Your Heart" on ABC Paramount. It's a bit Belgian, but it's still very northern in tempo and arrangement. Very early-sounding, but not wimpy like Dean Barlow. I've loved "Bring Back Your Heart" since '82. I always knew it could work in a northern context, too. I'm glad that people have caught onto it, too. I must say, though-I havent heard the one on the Jo Jo label or the "Welfare Blue"s record on Fee Bee. I've been seeing those listed as northern soul lately, but don't know what they sound like.

I'd be curious to hear those.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Got to agree about the Bring Back your Heart 45. Had this sometime and always hoped it would take off. Early recording - well, yes, but absolutely fantastic. Great vocals, emotive harmony and yes even melody!!! laugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!