Jean Battle; Mojo 45 Blues & Soul

Ady, the review of JB's UK 45 was in B&S 87 (end June 72). The 45 had actually been released a few weeks earlier (not sure of the time to print for B&S back then but it must have been 2 to 3 weeks).

So I guess any article on Jean B would have appeared in a B&S between # 87 & 90. 

The Sir Shambling page on Jean B tells very little about her personal info. If there had been a B&S article on her, I'd have expected John (or one of his site's readers) to have made mention of this fact.

Billboard mag only has a couple of mentions of her. Both just recommendations for "Unsatisfied Woman" (8th May / 19th June 71).

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Jesse J Lewis is a very interesting character & I believe he's still around. His on-line bio's mention very little about his record biz exploits though they do mention his long time business &  entrepreneurial activities .... https://alafricanamerican.com/2013-honorees/jesse-lewis-sr/

Jesse Lewis Sr. is currently leading a charitable organisation helping those effected by Covid 19 in Birmingham, Al.  -- the CAP 19 Initiative.....  he's contactable via  ... 

The Jesse J. Lewis, Jr. Foundation, 119 3rd Avenue West, Birmingham, Alabama 35204, US    ---     e-mail: admin@alcap19.com

AND PROBABLY ALSO VIA  ...  info@birminghamtimes.com

He's listed as co-writing some songs with the likes of Sam Dees (Just Out Of Reach, Let Me Be Your Full Time Groover, Mother of Shame, etc.). He's also credited with producing stuff for Peggy Scott & Jo Jo Benson, Rozetta Johnson, Bill Brandon & Lorraine Johnson . From 1963, he owned & ran the Birmingham Times, a weekly black-oriented newspaper. I'd guess if there is any detailed article on Jean Battle, it would have appeared in his own newspaper back around summer 67. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 06/01/2021 at 10:42, Roburt said:

Jesse J Lewis is a very interesting character & I believe he's still around. His on-line bio's mention very little about his record biz exploits though they do mention his long time business &  entrepreneurial activities .... https://alafricanamerican.com/2013-honorees/jesse-lewis-sr/

Jesse Lewis Sr. is currently leading a charitable organisation helping those effected by Covid 19 in Birmingham, Al.  -- the CAP 19 Initiative.....  he's contactable via  ... 

The Jesse J. Lewis, Jr. Foundation, 119 3rd Avenue West, Birmingham, Alabama 35204, US    ---     e-mail: admin@alcap19.com

AND PROBABLY ALSO VIA  ...  info@birminghamtimes.com

He's listed as co-writing some songs with the likes of Sam Dees (Just Out Of Reach, Let Me Be Your Full Time Groover, Mother of Shame, etc.). He's also credited with producing stuff for Peggy Scott & Jo Jo Benson, Rozetta Johnson, Bill Brandon & Lorraine Johnson . From 1963, he owned & ran the Birmingham Times, a weekly black-oriented newspaper. I'd guess if there is any detailed article on Jean Battle, it would have appeared in his own newspaper back around summer 67. 

It does seem very strange that he doesn't mention his music past, as you would have thought he would have been extremely proud of getting some of the best soul records IMO out of the door.

Did Mojo UK write anything about Jean and why is there nothing on the net, did she just give up singing (as some did) or was Jean Battle an alias ?

I did find this website but nothing has come of it ....... yet

https://ginnmusic.com/label/moonsong-records/

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 05/01/2021 at 14:31, Ady Croasdell said:

Thanks both, not much to add to Jean but the Jerry McCain is interesting. The Ronn/Paula releases were strictly in-house Shreveport recordings but Showtime did have a release on Romulus on him. Cheers 

Numero Group purchased Shiptown in 2017 and I wonder if they have info you might need if you can't get Mojo stuff

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!