Antiques Roadshow - If you can't value correctly, don't

Posted (edited)

I watched, as I always do, one of my favourite TV programmes tonight and it was the last item that really intrigued me.

Some Pink Floyd Memorabilia including a 7" single being attended to by none other than Bonhams very own Jon Baddeley

He described the single as a rare Demo and I thought my eyes were deceiving me, it appears not. He did then explain it was mint and it's it's proper sleeve so valued it at between £2000 and......£3000.

What do we reckon about £100 tops ?

Please never ever take your collection to them (or maybe you should 😀)

I have added the Demo copy for Jon if he reads this "Happy New Year" and I have emailed him at Bonhams

The last image is from my TV and the "demo" not copy on it's own little cushion, showing the B side, bless and it does look mint !!!!!

Arnold.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
addition
  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 17
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I watched, as I always do, one of my favourite TV programmes tonight and it was the last item that really intrigued me. Some Pink Floyd Memorabilia including a 7" single being attended to by none

I did just the same when he said demo! And 2-3k , I rewound the program to have a double take , wife looking at me with a strangeness 😀

I have just had a very nice email from Jon (Antiques Roadshow) "Dear Alan   Thank you for your email and for taking the trouble to correct my valuation.   I appreciate it must

Posted Images

Posted
5 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I watched, as I always do, one of my favourite TV programmes tonight and it was the last item that really intrigued me.

Some Pink Floyd Memorabilia including a 7" single being attended to by none other than Bonhams very own Jon Baddeley

He described the single as a rare Demo and I thought my eyes were deceiving me, it appears not. He did then explain it was mint and it's it's proper sleeve so valued it at between £2000 and......£3000.

What do we reckon about £100 tops ?

Please never ever take your collection to them (or maybe you should 😀)

I have added the Demo copy for Jon if he reads this "Happy New Year" and I have emailed him at Bonhams

The last image is from my TV and the "demo" not copy on it's own little cushion, showing the B side, bless and it does look mint !!!!!

Arnold.jpg

Pink.jpg

Demo A.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

I did just the same when he said demo! And 2-3k , I rewound the program to have a double take , wife looking at me with a strangeness 😀

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
31 minutes ago, Colnago said:

I sort of wondered if the owner was looking at Jon thinking "you got that wrong". I hope so anyway or he will be well chuffed (not) if he walks it to auction or on line !!!!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I sort of wondered if the owner was looking at Jon thinking "you got that wrong". I hope so anyway or he will be well chuffed (not) if he walks it to auction or on line !!!!

I didn’t see the show,so what was the  sleeve it came  in? I believe the promo sleeve that you have put up is worth a lot more than the Red and White demo disc.  
I think their first three Columbia release were all promoted with special sleeves...

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 minutes ago, Mgm 1251 said:

I didn’t see the show,so what was the  sleeve it came  in? I believe the promo sleeve that you have put up is worth a lot more than the Red and White demo disc.  
I think their first three Columbia release were all promoted with special sleeves...

I don't think the sleeve matters as the disc is not a demo just standard

I am not an expert on Floyd though so perhaps I can be proved wrong

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I think you’ll find there are more Red and Whites than there are sleeves

Im no expert on the subject either,but I do like their “Hippy Trippy”...

See Emily Play...also came in promo sleeve....

9FB7E82B-79EF-4341-AEF6-96C8A76477FC.jpeg

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Mgm 1251 said:

My apologies I will remove sleeve so as no confusion

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I too like a lot of you watched Sundays Show a thought 'Big Cock Up' but it Really would have nice to have seen a Demo with the Whole package on show and  the price for the Indian Copy in only VG £11,000 that Linda4me kindly put up, thats Rich, well you would have to be wouldn't you or maybe a bit Stupid

Just as a matter of interest i have a White Label Test Press 7" single of 'The Wall' by Pink Floyd, wonder what this would fetch these days as picked this up cheap around the time of it's release ? 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I happen to have these singles,.. And The  "See Emily play,"  Is worth no where near that price,,(I wished.) 

The 2nd single;  "Apples and Oranges" Green demo,  now thats where the monie is.  Valued at £3,000.plus. We put our copy up for sale at Auction last year; It went upto approx £1,000. with a reserve of £2,000. So no sale..I also have the LPs, UK, Japanese, German..etc.. Posters,  Gig posters etc.. If They want to Pay me those sort of prices, Please send them to me,,(a drink for the one that does,)  ( photos if required.).   Burt.xx 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 04/01/2021 at 10:32, Mgm 1251 said:

I think you’ll find there are more Red and Whites than there are sleeves

Im no expert on the subject either,but I do like their “Hippy Trippy”...

See Emily Play...also came in promo sleeve....

9FB7E82B-79EF-4341-AEF6-96C8A76477FC.jpeg

Pic cover was for issue only, Exactly what he was selling..I think the guy was confused..the Demo,s are Green..regards Burt..

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
21 hours ago, burt weedon said:

Pic cover was for issue only, Exactly what he was selling..I think the guy was confused..the Demo,s are Green..regards Burt..

The demos are G&W for Emily,R&W for Arnold....Emily is the best Columbia release for me...:thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

This is the copy I came across sorting and pricing the vinyl as a volunteer at Age UK in Norwich about 5 years ago. The drummer from Belle & Sebastian bought it. They were performing at a venue nearby later that day. At the time I think issues of See Emily Play and Arnold Layne were selling for about £40.00 on eBay. 

BF812043-8A39-4A2F-A235-96D91D6C1661.jpeg

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 06/01/2021 at 21:05, Autumnstoned said:

This is the copy I came across sorting and pricing the vinyl as a volunteer at Age UK in Norwich about 5 years ago. The drummer from Belle & Sebastian bought it. They were performing at a venue nearby later that day. At the time I think issues of See Emily Play and Arnold Layne were selling for about £40.00 on eBay. 

BF812043-8A39-4A2F-A235-96D91D6C1661.jpeg

I have just had a very nice email from Jon (Antiques Roadshow)

"Dear Alan

Thank you for your email and for taking the trouble to correct my valuation.

I appreciate it must be frustrating when you see the wrong values given and we do try and take third party advice when we can and obviously in this case, the information was wrong.

Thank you again and I will certainly contact you should the need arise on values of vinyl records.

Kind regards

Jon"

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I have just had a very nice email from Jon (Antiques Roadshow)

"Dear Alan

Thank you for your email and for taking the trouble to correct my valuation.

I appreciate it must be frustrating when you see the wrong values given and we do try and take third party advice when we can and obviously in this case, the information was wrong.

Thank you again and I will certainly contact you should the need arise on values of vinyl records.

Kind regards

Jon"

That’s good of him to send a kind response. When I was volunteering at Age UK I used Discogs and EBay as guides to selling prices. I was tempted to buy the Arnold Layne 45 myself as I like the early Floyd stuff. When the drummer from Belle & Sebastian saw the label scan which I had displayed in the shop window and came in to buy the 45, I happened to be working on the till at the time and it was a real pleasure to handle the sale as he was really chuffed to have found it at a fair price.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

What a nice gent, to reply to you personly.. and my respect for the show and its people has gone up 10 fold,,Its great to hear such great stories,especialy concerning Music and Artist,s and have a positive outcome..Well done guys..Respect...Burt,,x

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Northern Soul Mentioned On Antiques Roadshow
    All About The Soul by sepia on Tue 24 Mar 2009
    • 3 / 1053