Maria & Carl Willingham Free Cd

Shsdave

Yes folks we're delighted to announce that Maria Willingham accompanied by Carl will be guesting once again at Solid Hit Soul on the 16th February & if that's not enough to wet your appetite Carl is very kindly compiling another CD for us :thumbsup: that will be given away free on the night. Not sure of numbers yet but probably to the first 50 through the door.

Money may be tight after Christmas so just consider this, 5 hours of top quality Northern in an intimate (150 capacity) atmospheric venue, a free CD of top quality records so rare that most of us couldn't even dream of owning them, Des Parkers record sales & finally clean toilets with soap :yes: .....all for the mind boggling price of a fiver...... No wonder I can't afford any new clothes !

A big thanks to Carl Fortnum & everybody who came along in December, :D numbers were down slightly due to all the xmas parties taking place on the same night.... bah humbug, so thanks everyone for keeping the dance floor buzzing, still a great night with great music.

Get yer baby sitters & animal sitters sorted, make sure your shifts are sorted (Ian & Kev)

Support your local clubs as though it were the last night ....cause one day it will be !

See you on the 16th

Dave G

8.00pm until 1.00am. £5.00 on the door with the regulars Stuart Tyler , Martin Thomson, Gene Robertson and Dave Greenhill bringing you the best in 100% Sixties Northern on original vinyl only.

3 minutes King's Cross, Euston, St Pancras tubes & buses galore & Kings X Thameslink

Edited by SHSDave
  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Dave as per norm we will be there(me & Mandy).Hopefully little Nicky will be joining us along with Phil & Kev and that nutter Graham,

you're always in the place before us Dave save us a spot near the bar,cheers mines a pint then..

see you in there..

Well if they are only half as good as when they graced the decks last year then we are still in for a stormer of a night.

Hi Martin will we meet in the station bar again ?? is Pete Bennett going ??

I was in London for work this morning and tried to convince them to hold the next meeting on the 16th, but the buggers want to come up north (with good reason) :rolleyes: . Then even if I get my own pricey train tickets, I'm a bit worried that I'll get snowed in on Saturday :lol: and not make it back in time to set up our bits for boomerang.

Oh dear...decisions, decisions, decisions...

I'd like to make this, so put me down as a definite 'maybe' for now :hypo:

m

I was in London for work this morning and tried to convince them to hold the next meeting on the 16th, but the buggers want to come up north (with good reason) :( . Then even if I get my own pricey train tickets, I'm a bit worried that I'll get snowed in on Saturday :thumbsup: and not make it back in time to set up our bits for boomerang.

Oh dear...decisions, decisions, decisions...

I'd like to make this, so put me down as a definite 'maybe' for now :ohmy:

m

Winter is now well & truly over down here Maria, we've had a couple of cold days + a few flecks of snow, spring is now pushing on, glorious warm sunshine today, ooh I feel a song in my heart rolleyes.gif

Be great to see you down here girl for what is sure to be a brillant night. Book those tickets & we'll book you a place at the bar ....................but probably behind Toby :lol::lol:beer.gif

Winter is now well & truly over down here Maria, we've had a couple of cold days + a few flecks of snow, spring is now pushing on, glorious warm sunshine today, ooh I feel a song in my heart

Dave, you were saying.........................

Lorraine from snowy Bushey

Hi Martin,

what time do you meet in the station bar? Might join you if that's OK? Put your pressie in the post finally today.

Lorraine

It is better in the bar of O'Neills as it happens Lorraine...and the DJs get a cut of the takings.... rolleyes.gif

I look forward to receiving my belated pressie......I wonder if it will arrive in time for me to smoke at Lifeline

Edited by Rbman

I look forward to receiving my belated pressie......I wonder if it will arrive in time for me to smoke at Lifeline

Why do you want to smoke a bottle of Brut aftershave and some socks?

Wish I was going to Lifeline, say hi to Chalky for me. Home this weekend recovering from the excesses of Jan.

Lorraine

Winter is now well & truly over down here Maria, we've had a couple of cold days + a few flecks of snow, spring is now pushing on, glorious warm sunshine today, ooh I feel a song in my heart rolleyes.gif

Be great to see you down here girl for what is sure to be a brillant night. Book those tickets & we'll book you a place at the bar ....................but probably behind Toby :thumbsup::thumbsup::lol:

:lol: - my bones NEVER lie Dave. Today I'm dreading that I may have to drive in the snow for the first time. Everyone should stay off the M62 tonight :ohmy:

Need to be in London the day before SHS, but Leeds that day :lol: . A train down would only give me a few hours at the night, then I would need to be the 7am one back (ouch!).

Still tempted, but will see how I feel after Lifeline :dance:

m

Edited by Maria O

looking forward to this Dave, trying to persuade my Brother in law to come along - his last visit to a northern soul night was the 100 club in the 80's!!

any chance of posting up a playlist of potential tunes you might be playing on the night..

cheers

Jon

Sorry Jon Missed this post, I had logged off by the time you sent it & I was away at Lifeline weekender & only returned to a computer today. Not sure what I'll play off the top of my head but I've a sneaking suspicion Donna Colman could be in there somewhere :thumbsup: all best mate see you friday

Dave

Guest Stuart T

Would love to Jon, unfortunately I don't have a copy :thumbsup:

I think Gene or Stuart may have :thumbsup:

see ya friday

Dave

I'll try to fnid my copy, I still haven't finished unpacking my records but maybe I saw it last night whilst flicking through the boxes. Not promising anything but I'll do my best to find it unless Gene has a copy to hand, I'm a bit limited as to what I can take on the plane. Gene?

That'll do nicely Gene thumbsup.gif

Been meaning to pick up a copy of the lp myself... incidentally, does the LP track have the girl backing???

best

Jon

Hi Jon,

As far as I can remember, it doesn't. The sound quality is also quite muffled. I'm sure Martin will treat you to a lovely-sounding 45 on Friday though!

Hope to see you there.............

Gene

Hi Guy's, this is weird but guess who's having a family weekend break in London? this coming Friday through Sunday and there's me thinking all i had to look forward too was Madam Tussauds, the London Eye, a boat trip on the Thames etc. oh and shopping with Jacqui in Camden market and my Son Luke In Hamley's for the day, thought i was gonna get away with a £300.00 weekend and it now looks like i'm gonna have to bring a little extra cash.........can you tell me how far the gig is from Holiday Inn, Kings Cross Road?....lol like i don't know, just over the road i think (just had an email from Martin Thompson with directions - but i know exactly where the venue is i seem to remember Do's there years ago, think Jon Buck did a couple of nights there way back?)

So Mr Robertson, Mr Thompson and all get the kettle on and see you around 10pm.....don't tell 'The Willinghams' i'm coming it will be a suprise...lol

This will be a perfect start to a perfect weekend, hope to see loads of you there.....oh Gene shall i bring a few pressings with me just in case someone don't tun up....lol bugger that get the beers in.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell

Hi Guy's, this is weird but guess who's having a family weekend break in London? this coming Friday through Sunday and there's me thinking all i had to look forward too was Madam Tussauds, the London Eye, a boat trip on the Thames etc. oh and shopping with Jacqui in Camden market and my Son Luke In Hamley's for the day, thought i was gonna get away with a £300.00 weekend and it now looks like i'm gonna have to bring a little extra cash.........can you tell me how far the gig is from Holiday Inn, Kings Cross Road?....lol like i don't know, just over the road i think (just had an email from Martin Thompson with directions - but i know exactly where the venue is i seem to remember Do's there years ago, think Jon Buck did a couple of nights there way back?)

So Mr Robertson, Mr Thompson and all get the kettle on and see you around 10pm.....don't tell 'The Willinghams' i'm coming it will be a suprise...lol

This will be a perfect start to a perfect weekend, hope to see loads of you there.....oh Gene shall i bring a few pressings with me just in case someone don't tun up....lol bugger that get the beers in.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

nice one mate, see you on Friday!

Guest Stuart T

can you tell me how far the gig is from Holiday Inn, Kings Cross Road?....lol like i don't know, just over the road i think (just had an email from Martin Thompson with directions - but i know exactly where the venue is i seem to remember Do's there years ago, think Jon Buck did a couple of nights there way back?)

Thats the one, the Holiday Inn is about ten minutes walk absolute max, I'm staying there too. There is a short cut down the back streets via a good boozer but its a bit easy to get lost.

Guest Pete Bennett

Hi Guys Toby did check with me last Friday and I said I wasn't going to be able to make it but thanks to a change in personal circumstances "girl friend who didn't like our wonderful music now being added to the "exes" list shades.gif I will be there. And very pleased I am too.

Will see you all in O'Neils.

What time train are the "Herts Massive" getting down?

Hi Guys Toby did check with me last Friday and I said I wasn't going to be able to make it but thanks to a change in personal circumstances "girl friend who didn't like our wonderful music now being added to the "exes" list :shhh: I will be there. And very pleased I am too.

What ! M/s Charlton Supporter ? I'm not sure if I should be pleased or not :D

....but will be great to see you there mate ( such a bloody hypocrite at times me thumbsup.gif:shades: )

Hi Guys Toby did check with me last Friday and I said I wasn't going to be able to make it but thanks to a change in personal circumstances "girl friend who didn't like our wonderful music now being added to the "exes" list shades.gif I will be there. And very pleased I am too.

We have some good news and we have some bad news.......sorry to hear that the Blackheath babe is just another notch...but will be good to see you with the old sad drunk soulies again whistling.gif

M

We have some good news and we have some bad news.......sorry to hear that the Blackheath babe is just another notch...but will be good to see you with the old sad drunk soulies again whistling.gif

M

Not sure which of you is the BIGGEST ARSEHOLE,.... Pete.... for informing the whole of Soul Source about your ex... or Martin for his 'Blackheath Babe' comment... BUT the 'Blackheath Babe' is more attractive, intelligent and wealthy than you to put together.... Long Live the 'Blackheath Babe'....

Denise xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not sure which of you is the BIGGEST ARSEHOLE,.... Pete.... for informing the whole of Soul Source about your ex... or Martin for his 'Blackheath Babe' comment... BUT the 'Blackheath Babe' is more attractive, intelligent and wealthy than you to put together.... Long Live the 'Blackheath Babe'....

Denise xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry forgot to add.... Long Live those 2 bottles of champagne and that very expensive meal in The Ivy... Good Night dxxx

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

You won't need much extra Mark, where else in Kings Cross are you going to get so much pleasure for a mere fiver ? :shhh: Anyway if you think you may need a top up you could always bring me that Chuck Brooks for immediate cash lol :thumbsup:

Dave

You won't need much extra Mark, where else in Kings Cross are you going to get so much pleasure for a mere fiver ? :shhh: Anyway if you think you may need a top up you could always bring me that Chuck Brooks for immediate cash lol :thumbsup:

Dave

Dave, I take it you mean 'Chuck Bridges'....lol, well the answer is no sorry mate so looks like i'll just have a swift half...oh i think you can get other pleasures in Kings Cross mate but will cost a little more than a fiver which can be found up behind Kings Cross station but we don't really wanna go there do we....lol

Looking forward to this as i've not been to a Soul night since December 16th 2006.....see you Friday.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Dave, I take it you mean 'Chuck Bridges'....lol, well the answer is no sorry mate so looks like i'll just have a swift half...oh i think you can get other pleasures in Kings Cross mate but will cost a little more than a fiver which can be found up behind Kings Cross station but we don't really wanna go there do we....lol

Looking forward to this as i've not been to a Soul night since December 16th 2006.....see you Friday.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yes indeed Mark,lol Chuck Brooks ?????? I'd just gone back in to edit it before anybody noticed ...damn, too slow :angry: :shhh:

See you friday in the bright lights of Euston Road :thumbsup:

Dave

this is actually going to be my last SHS as a resident at least for the time being. I've been doing either one or two resident spots in London every month for the last 10 years and I've decided to have a bit of a rest from the promoting side of things. I'm also stepping down from doing SITC (permanently this time!)

I'm doing some reshuffling of my playbox with some substantial sales as well but I'm not getting rid of them all and hope to get out and about with the playbox now and again if asked (*hint hint). I'll also be on the subs bench for SHS if anyone can't make it for any particular reason.

I'm delighted with the new signing, however, who will be announced in due course :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's 10 from me for Friday, and these are all records I'm KEEPING (lest word get around that I'm selling 'all' of my records)

1. Explosive Dynamiks - whole lotta love (Lemco)

2. John Andrews - It's just love (UK Parlophone)

3. Clarence Hill - A lot of loving going around (Mainstream)

4. Bob and Fred - I'll be on my way (Big Mack)

5. Sandy Wynns- I'll give that to you (Simco)

6. Gracie Darnell- The bad guys (Ruth)

7. Mirettes - He's alright with me (Mirwood)

8. Turley Richards - I need to fall in love (20th Century)

9. Jimmy Castor - It's OK (Jet Set)

10. Bobby Bennett - Alone with my tears (V Tone)

oh and Dickie Wonder for Jon

I'll be saying goodbye to some old friends like Karmello Brooks, William Cummings and Hayes Cotton to name a few, all of which have been found new and loving homes :unsure:

Looking forward to it!

I for one will be very sorry to see you leave the SITC & SHS events.....you have introduced me to so many new and tasty tunes over the last 5 years. Hope you get to guest at many events as your taste and choice warrants. I'll share a cup with you on Friday. Thanks Martin.

M

this is actually going to be my last SHS as a resident at least for the time being. I've been doing either one or two resident spots in London every month for the last 10 years and I've decided to have a bit of a rest from the promoting side of things. I'm also stepping down from doing SITC (permanently this time!)

I'm doing some reshuffling of my playbox with some substantial sales as well but I'm not getting rid of them all and hope to get out and about with the playbox now and again if asked (*hint hint). I'll also be on the subs bench for SHS if anyone can't make it for any particular reason.

I'm delighted with the new signing, however, who will be announced in due course :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's 10 from me for Friday, and these are all records I'm KEEPING (lest word get around that I'm selling 'all' of my records)

1. Explosive Dynamiks - whole lotta love (Lemco)

2. John Andrews - It's just love (UK Parlophone)

3. Clarence Hill - A lot of loving going around (Mainstream)

4. Bob and Fred - I'll be on my way (Big Mack)

5. Sandy Wynns- I'll give that to you (Simco)

6. Gracie Darnell- The bad guys (Ruth)

7. Mirettes - He's alright with me (Mirwood)

8. Turley Richards - I need to fall in love (20th Century)

9. Jimmy Castor - It's OK (Jet Set)

10. Bobby Bennett - Alone with my tears (V Tone)

oh and Dickie Wonder for Jon

I'll be saying goodbye to some old friends like Karmello Brooks, William Cummings and Hayes Cotton to name a few, all of which have been found new and loving homes :shades:

Looking forward to it!

Not those bloody old things again !!!! :D

Well I've obviously known about this for a while & I have to say that Martin will be greatly missed, he has played some absolute belters over the last couple of years & never seems to fail to turn up fresh & exciting records to play instead of just sitting back playing the same old things over & over & over again. I don't really think that he has received the acknowledgement he deserves for his great dj sets over many years to be honest. We have certainly appreciated him both @ Solid Hit as well as for 5 years at SITC where he was with us from the start as a leching drunk for the 1st 3 nights before accepting the bribe we threw his way to join us as a resident DJ.

I will certainly miss his smiling happy face behind the decks :P:lol::lol: pmsl, although he will still be supporting us from the floor & our website which he has kindly agreed to keep running for us, well it is his baby anyway !

The future ? Just sorting out a transfer fee for a top class replacement - details soon :unsure:

Dave

I was really sad to hear the news as I've always thought a lot of Martin's spots, but I'm very glad to be killing myself to get there and back as I couldn't miss this :lol: .

However, there's one other very important thing that Martin has forgotten to mention whistling.gif :

It's also his birthday next week!!!

...So show your appreciation (or join in the celebration) with a bevy or three :thumbsup: . Audra and I will be there to carry him home - although he'll be a little lob-sided between us two :P

m

Oh Denise! Do you mean you two?

Im sorry. see you there?

Mr. Bennett.... can I please commend you on agreeing that it was an arseholelything to post... and those 4 bottles of Mudhouse this evening in The Royal Exchange at £28 a bottle did not waiver me from extracting my post... :thumbsup: The Pol Roger might have done it.... and many thanks for the picking me up on my spelling...

But after 2 bottles of Cristal and a super meal at the Ivy did I give a shit thumbup.gif

Glad you liked my friend... had a great night... Please post something again.... Its worth an evening out especially if your paying :D

Also There is no doubt it is me. And I will challenge Martin any time on that subject.

Finally you are quite correct she can. whistling.gif

Pete,

I'm amazed that that not one of your friends has jumped to yours and Martin's defence... Which concludes my assesment of you both :thumbsup:

But you did ply me with my favourite wine, in my favourite bar :D so I'll give you a few brownie points :D

Source Advert