JMAuction - 06/01/2021 - Results

Zanetti

8 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Yes, rather surprising. My particular interest stems from having a copy, but I wondered if it was the same as the one quoted in the Manship Priceguide. I regretted splashing out $2-300 about 15 years ago but now I’m thinking I should try harder to like this record.🤩

It was always a steady 200/250.  Last time I actively look it was 400, i thought maybe 6/700 but 1400 kinell

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Fair question. But when you’re in a store in the USA, you sample the first few bars, if they sound Northern, they go in the ‘definite’ or ‘maybe’ piles...let the piles stack up, take the lot and count the cost later. Buying in bulk can be hazardous - in every 100, there will be one cracked, one off centre, a few you can’t get into and hopefully a few that will grow on you.

In this case, the sound did not grow on me back in the UK but some of the initial regret has evaporated tonight. The worst regrets I have were when I didn’t buy a record when I could or should have.

Cheers mate 👍  Never been in that position so it would have never entered my head. 

Social source share

14 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Why would you or anyone else buy a record for €2-300 or any amount when you don't like it. Even when I was DJ,in i would never buy i record I didn't personally like.  

I buy a lot of records I don’t particularly like. 

My taste doesn’t rule the world and would never be disrespectful to other’s taste. But one thing I’m sure of is that things I’m really into other people hate so there’s and obvious reason for buying things you don’t like. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Russoul1 said:

played the jackie weaver 45 tonight facebook group live stream, great bass line and not easy to come across

think thats not a bad price 

I have wondered if this maybe Jackie Beavers from the Nation label just another spelling? I think they are both Chicago? No firm evidence just a thought? 

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Jnixon said:

I buy a lot of records I don’t particularly like. 

My taste doesn’t rule the world and would never be disrespectful to other’s taste. But one thing I’m sure of is that things I’m really into other people hate so there’s and obvious reason for buying things you don’t like. 

I'm so glad that we all like different styles otherwise it would be boring 😴 

I've never disrespected anyone's taste in music either unless it's just taking the Pee. Which i do occasionally.🤔🤔🤔

it still doesn't justify to me and never would,  too buy records i don't like.  I would never buy a  record to sell on for a profit either but hey thats only my principles. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I'm so glad that we all like different styles otherwise it would be boring 😴 

I've never disrespected anyone's taste in music either unless it's just taking the Pee. Which i do occasionally.🤔🤔🤔

it still doesn't justify to me and never would,  too buy records i don't like.  I would never buy a  record to sell on for a profit either but hey thats only my principles. 

I’m sure we’ve had this conversation before on here, me and you. 

Familiar ring to it.

I do get bitten occasionally though. Bought a Copy of a disco tune I didn’t really like and made an ashtray out of it late one night. Five years on it almost hit 1000 quid. 

Did try selling the offending article as art halfheartedly.

as someone who pilfered tunes from many scenes I guess I see the value in some things  and buy them though don’t necessarily like them. Those get swapped mainly for things I do like. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Hi Steve. Sometimes, as a DJ, you might be expected to buy records that other people like, even when you not fond of them.

It’s OK to sell records to raise the funds to buy more records - no shame there. But, as we’ve mentioned, dealers intercepting auction items to hike up sales prices and profits is dastardly from a frugal collector’s point of view.

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Hi Steve. Sometimes, as a DJ, you might be expected to buy records that other people like, even when you not fond of them.

It’s OK to sell records to raise the funds to buy more records - no shame there. But, as we’ve mentioned, dealers intercepting auction items to hike up sales prices and profits is dastardly from a frugal collector’s point of view.

Hi mate. I actually stuck to my principals over liking records.  For example.  I was offered a Jeanette  for £100 many years ago when it was £150 refused the offer. Hayes Cotton. Black wings , £1000 even though I didn't mind it   I didn't  like it that much so it stayed with the dealer How much now ?  Same with cheaper ones, Compared to what. Keep on keeping on.  just can't bring myself to do it. 

I do understand where you're coming from though.  

Social source share

5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Hi mate. I actually stuck to my principals over liking records.  For example.  I was offered a Jeanette  for £100 many years ago when it was £150 refused the offer. Hayes Cotton. Black wings , £1000 even though I didn't mind it   I didn't  like it that much so it stayed with the dealer How much now ?  Same with cheaper ones, Compared to what. Keep on keeping on.  just can't bring myself to do it. 

I do understand where you're coming from though.  

I’d have taken the Jeanette - still not got one but refuse to pay the going rate in the hope it will dip in value. Great record too.

Hayes Cotton is a special case - decent sound but known more for its rarity. I would have tried to negotiate a trade. Rare records are worth more than money - you can trade records you don’t like for records you like.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!