Articles: Larry Payton - Chicago Soul

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

i enjoyed reading this, and i'm glad you went with your option to post "incomplete" as you say.

I'm not of the caliber of your authorship but have and do face the same dilemma. In that, when researching, i end up with interesting morsels and a potpourri. Mostly on scraps of paper, a dozen notebooks, jottings, and so on.  And i wonder whether to wait and develop them, or 'publish'/post.

I'm gettin' on (in age) which also means i make mistakes,  so i guess at some stage i'm just going to put it all out there for someone else to take on maybe.

yours was a nice read, cheers.

Social source share

Hi Andy

Good to hear from you. The track in question was `See Saw` aka "Do The See Saw` by the Contours which as you know was never issued at the time but did get an airing on a UK CD a few years back (Dance with the Contours, Kent CD. 2013, also on YouTube). Apparently Joe Billingslea related that Andre Williams was behind its trip to Chicago. The backing track nearly surfaced in 1979 when Tom de Pierro pulled it out for inclusion on a planned `From The Vaults Vol 2` that never materialised, our mutual friend John Lester obtained a pilot cassette tape of the intended tracks and I was lucky enough to hear it then.

Social source share

Happy new Year Keith. I remember last year when we spoke you said how difficult the Jerry Murray/O stuff for your book was and I totally agree that if people like you do not do what you do then these artists such as Larry will never be known, never mind forgotten

Just brilliant Sir and how is your shed 😀

Alan

Social source share

1 hour ago, Funky 4 Corners said:

Hi Andy

Good to hear from you. The track in question was `See Saw` aka "Do The See Saw` by the Contours which as you know was never issued at the time but did get an airing on a UK CD a few years back (Dance with the Contours, Kent CD. 2013, also on YouTube). Apparently Joe Billingslea related that Andre Williams was behind its trip to Chicago. The backing track nearly surfaced in 1979 when Tom de Pierro pulled it out for inclusion on a planned `From The Vaults Vol 2` that never materialised, our mutual friend John Lester obtained a pilot cassette tape of the intended tracks and I was lucky enough to hear it then.

Thanks Keith

Ok .. misunderstood .. thought the Maurice Jackson 45 had a Motown band track .. I'm very familiar with 'See Saw' as I think I supplied John with the track ... I certainly sent him lots of stuff back then .. might be wrong about that .. it was a long time ago

I recall the first time I ever spoke to him after Carole Gardiner said I should ring him .. spent 3 hours on the phone playing him unreleased Motown stuff he'd never heard before .. he was very excited !

Andy

Social source share

No misunderstanding Andy, that backing track was the Maurice Jackson track, a disc that may well ahve been withdrawn or pressed in very small numbers as it is incredibly rare. Andre Williams was connected to the Soulville Record store and probably realising the commercial value of the track Jerry Murray and Tommy Dark sang `Boo Ga Loo` and `Boomerang` on top of it and that went as a demo to ABC where it was released. Back in '79 when John played it to me I realised after a few days that I had the track on HMV!

Keith

Social source share

On 08/01/2021 at 10:25, Blackpoolsoul said:

Happy new Year Keith. I remember last year when we spoke you said how difficult the Jerry Murray/O stuff for your book was and I totally agree that if people like you do not do what you do then these artists such as Larry will never be known, never mind forgotten

Just brilliant Sir and how is your shed 😀

Alan

Thank you Alan, I appreciate this! Bit mystfied about my shed??

Social source share

19 hours ago, Tony Hancock said:

Thanks for sharing this. Definitely a worthwhile read.

I'm a bit of a Beatles anorak so suspect his work for Veejay was in 64, on their first US Tour. By 65, Capitol had exercised their option on the Beatles releases. Veejay went bust in 66. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vee-Jay_Records

19 hours ago, Tony Hancock said:

Thanks for sharing this. Definitely a worthwhile read.

I'm a bit of a Beatles anorak so suspect his work for Veejay was in 64, on their first US Tour. By 65, Capitol had exercised their option on the Beatles releases. Veejay went bust in 66. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vee-Jay_Records

Hi Tony, '66 was a bit of an educated guess based on Shawn's recollection of various Beatles Lps around the house on VJ. I guess they were milking their era of catalogue once Capitoil took over probably trying to keep afloat?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 14:25, Funky 4 Corners said:

Hi Tony, '66 was a bit of an educated guess based on Shawn's recollection of various Beatles Lps around the house on VJ. I guess they were milking their era of catalogue once Capitoil took over probably trying to keep afloat?

Hi mate. If we can help each other out by sharing knowledge or educated guesswork, that's a good thing.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!