Jump to content

Articles: Larry Payton - Chicago Soul


Recommended Posts

Posted
News/Article/Feature Highlight:

LARRY PAYTON, CHICAGO.
This post is an incomplete file with which I have two choices; leave it to gather dust no doubt never to see the light of day again or to share it as it stands with you guys in the Soul community...

View full article

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 12
  • Views 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for sharing this. Definitely a worthwhile read. I'm a bit of a Beatles anorak so suspect his work for Veejay was in 64, on their first US Tour. By 65, Capitol had exercised their option on

Posted

i enjoyed reading this, and i'm glad you went with your option to post "incomplete" as you say.

I'm not of the caliber of your authorship but have and do face the same dilemma. In that, when researching, i end up with interesting morsels and a potpourri. Mostly on scraps of paper, a dozen notebooks, jottings, and so on.  And i wonder whether to wait and develop them, or 'publish'/post.

I'm gettin' on (in age) which also means i make mistakes,  so i guess at some stage i'm just going to put it all out there for someone else to take on maybe.

yours was a nice read, cheers.

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Thanks Keith

you made the right decision to run with it

I never knew about the Maurice Jackson  45 using a Motown band track ... never heard it .. can’t find it on the net ... any idea what track they used .. and can I hear it ?

really enjoyable read

Andy

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Hi Andy

Good to hear from you. The track in question was `See Saw` aka "Do The See Saw` by the Contours which as you know was never issued at the time but did get an airing on a UK CD a few years back (Dance with the Contours, Kent CD. 2013, also on YouTube). Apparently Joe Billingslea related that Andre Williams was behind its trip to Chicago. The backing track nearly surfaced in 1979 when Tom de Pierro pulled it out for inclusion on a planned `From The Vaults Vol 2` that never materialised, our mutual friend John Lester obtained a pilot cassette tape of the intended tracks and I was lucky enough to hear it then.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Happy new Year Keith. I remember last year when we spoke you said how difficult the Jerry Murray/O stuff for your book was and I totally agree that if people like you do not do what you do then these artists such as Larry will never be known, never mind forgotten

Just brilliant Sir and how is your shed 😀

Alan

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Funky 4 Corners said:

Hi Andy

Good to hear from you. The track in question was `See Saw` aka "Do The See Saw` by the Contours which as you know was never issued at the time but did get an airing on a UK CD a few years back (Dance with the Contours, Kent CD. 2013, also on YouTube). Apparently Joe Billingslea related that Andre Williams was behind its trip to Chicago. The backing track nearly surfaced in 1979 when Tom de Pierro pulled it out for inclusion on a planned `From The Vaults Vol 2` that never materialised, our mutual friend John Lester obtained a pilot cassette tape of the intended tracks and I was lucky enough to hear it then.

Thanks Keith

Ok .. misunderstood .. thought the Maurice Jackson 45 had a Motown band track .. I'm very familiar with 'See Saw' as I think I supplied John with the track ... I certainly sent him lots of stuff back then .. might be wrong about that .. it was a long time ago

I recall the first time I ever spoke to him after Carole Gardiner said I should ring him .. spent 3 hours on the phone playing him unreleased Motown stuff he'd never heard before .. he was very excited !

Andy

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

No misunderstanding Andy, that backing track was the Maurice Jackson track, a disc that may well ahve been withdrawn or pressed in very small numbers as it is incredibly rare. Andre Williams was connected to the Soulville Record store and probably realising the commercial value of the track Jerry Murray and Tommy Dark sang `Boo Ga Loo` and `Boomerang` on top of it and that went as a demo to ABC where it was released. Back in '79 when John played it to me I realised after a few days that I had the track on HMV!

Keith

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Thanks for the clarification Keith ... well I have never heard of or seen that Maurice Jackson 45 .. it really must be a tough one indeed

Andy

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 08/01/2021 at 10:25, Blackpoolsoul said:

Happy new Year Keith. I remember last year when we spoke you said how difficult the Jerry Murray/O stuff for your book was and I totally agree that if people like you do not do what you do then these artists such as Larry will never be known, never mind forgotten

Just brilliant Sir and how is your shed 😀

Alan

Thank you Alan, I appreciate this! Bit mystfied about my shed??

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
19 hours ago, Tony Hancock said:

Thanks for sharing this. Definitely a worthwhile read.

I'm a bit of a Beatles anorak so suspect his work for Veejay was in 64, on their first US Tour. By 65, Capitol had exercised their option on the Beatles releases. Veejay went bust in 66. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vee-Jay_Records

 

19 hours ago, Tony Hancock said:

Thanks for sharing this. Definitely a worthwhile read.

I'm a bit of a Beatles anorak so suspect his work for Veejay was in 64, on their first US Tour. By 65, Capitol had exercised their option on the Beatles releases. Veejay went bust in 66. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vee-Jay_Records

Hi Tony, '66 was a bit of an educated guess based on Shawn's recollection of various Beatles Lps around the house on VJ. I guess they were milking their era of catalogue once Capitoil took over probably trying to keep afloat?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Funky 4 Corners said:

Thank you Alan, I appreciate this! Bit mystfied about my shed??

You had to call me back as you were busy in your garden shed I believe

soul source url
Social source share
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 09/01/2021 at 14:25, Funky 4 Corners said:

 

Hi Tony, '66 was a bit of an educated guess based on Shawn's recollection of various Beatles Lps around the house on VJ. I guess they were milking their era of catalogue once Capitoil took over probably trying to keep afloat?

 

Hi mate. If we can help each other out by sharing knowledge or educated guesswork, that's a good thing.

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Lou Ragland - Lawrence Payton Uk Soul 45s
    Record Sales by alan t on Tue 28 Jun 2016
    • 3 / 808
    • doublesix on 28 Jun 2016
  2. Lawrence Payton - Tell Me You Love Me (love Sounds) - Abc Dunhill
    Record Wants by LittleAv on Thu 09 Jul 2015
    • 3 / 1598
    • dave pinch on 12 Jul 2015
  3. Tommy Payton
    Record Wants by eamonn on Mon 24 Nov 2014
    • 5 / 603
    • eamonn on 27 Nov 2014
  4. Four Tops, Lawrence Payton
    All About The Soul by Funky 4 Corners on Tue 27 May 2014
    • 3 / 869
    • Funky 4 Corners on 27 May 2014
  5. Tommy Payton & Kenneth N Delroy
    Record Wants by Rayy on Thu 24 Jan 2013
    • 1 / 406
    • Rayy on 24 Jan 2013
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.