What do you listen to your music on?

Posted (edited)

The Bluetooth turntable thread got me thinking about this.....

Plenty of options available nowadays... Hifi separates / All in one / PC / Sonos / Smart speakers etc. 

New system.... Old system?? 

Appreciate many on here are vinyl only people. Same question still applies though...... 

Might be interesting seeing what people use, considering everyone on here is into their music. 

I gave my separates system away a few years ago. 

Now got two Sonos systems.

Most of the house is on a Sonos 2 App with a stack of music (MP3) stored on a NAS Drive. 4 room set up Inc TV soundbars.

I often just tune into Soul radio stations (Solar, Starpoint etc) on this and get to hear stuff I haven't got, or not heard for decades. Have this on all day every day. 

Then a Sonos Play 5 on a separate Sonos 1 system linked to a turntable for vinyl only. 

Then various portable BT speakers, Inc a setup in garage gym. 

What about everyone else. 

Edited by Fish Fingers
Typo
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 18
  • Views 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well SIR I got a site bollocking a while ago for stating I listen to a lot of music on my........Fridge! Built in wifi and speaker....so just search the Internet, pick a site, and away we go

Use everything, cd, tapes, I pad etc but mainly on the old turntables a few times a week. This week everyday so far, can't see the point of having records and not playing them. I flog them if they're

The biggest change for me was starting to listen to internet radio stations. It happened when I first got Sonos, but also listen on tune-in radio on my work PC now (rather than having the radio o

Posted Images

Posted

Well SIR

I got a site bollocking a while ago for stating I listen to a lot of music on my........Fridge!

Built in wifi and speaker....so just search the Internet, pick a site, and away we go.

Ed

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Fish Fingers said:

The Bluetooth turntable thread got me thinking about this.....

Plenty of options available nowadays... Hifi separates / All in one / PC / Sonos / Smart speakers etc. 

New system.... Old system?? 

Appreciate many on here are vinyl only people. Same question still applies though...... 

Might be interesting seeing what people use, considering everyone on here is into their music. 

I gave my separates system away a few years ago. 

Now got two Sonos systems.

Most of the house is on a Sonos 2 App with a stack of music (MP3) stored on a NAS Drive. 4 room set up Inc TV soundbars.

I often just tune into Soul radio stations (Solar, Starpoint etc) on this and get to hear stuff I haven't got, or not heard for decades. Have this on all day every day. 

Then a Sonos Play 5 on a separate Sonos 1 system linked to a turntable for vinyl only. 

Then various portable BT speakers, Inc a setup in garage gym. 

What about everyone else. 

Sonos app on phone which can access Mixcloud then just select a random mix after a quick browse.

CD’s into the DVD player through the TV speaker.

vinyl hardly ever gets played now.

will at some point upgrade my old separates to a Sonos amp and play more vinyl.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Well SIR

I got a site bollocking a while ago for stating I listen to a lot of music on my........Fridge!

Built in wifi and speaker....so just search the Internet, pick a site, and away we go.

Ed

That's cool

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Well SIR

Ed

that did not happen

a pm has been sent to member to refresh memory

joys of moderation part 453

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Use everything, cd, tapes, I pad etc but mainly on the old turntables a few times a week. This week everyday so far, can't see the point of having records and not playing them. I flog them if they're not getting played or desperation when I'm skint, cheers

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

The biggest change for me was starting to listen to internet radio stations.

It happened when I first got Sonos, but also listen on tune-in radio on my work PC now (rather than having the radio on) if there is only me in the office. 

There are so many Soul stations... you can just put those on instead of the mainstream DAB/FM radio stations. 

It's great listening to other peoples collections as I keep hearing stuff I've never heard before, and stuff that I've not heard in years. Whereas, I know what's in my own collection. 

Edited by Fish Fingers
Typo
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Got to say that YouTube is a great way of hearing new stuff. I dont know what algorithm is used to select the next tracks to what you've chosen to listen to, but mostly they do flow, and mostly they throw up stuff that's at least new to me.

Obviously as a tyke I still have to listen to the adverts....owt for nowt etc....but its a great way to explore new tunes.

Ed

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

CDs when I'm doing cycle training as an LP side is too short, otherwise 45 vinyl only as 'owning' a track still doesn't count in my head unless it's on original 45 or British original... And indeed some of my absolute holy grails I cannot bring myself play off compilation at all because I don't have the 45 itself (and am unlikely to ever be able to afford) and to me it's insulting to the recording to play it any other way - and every note is locked inside my head on a loop anyway - but that's PURELY a personal thing at home, nothing to do with elitism.

Dx

Edited by Davenpete
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Got to say that YouTube is a great way of hearing new stuff. I dont know what algorithm is used to select the next tracks to what you've chosen to listen to, but mostly they do flow, and mostly they throw up stuff that's at least new to me.

Obviously as a tyke I still have to listen to the adverts....owt for nowt etc....but its a great way to explore new tunes.

Ed

Agree completely with this. I've discovered a lot of music/artists i wasn't aware of via youtube. Its a fantastic resource, where you can dip into all sorts of music that isn't available elsewhere.

Internet radio can be very good and podcasts are an invaluable addition to the listening choices we now have.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

More and more im using the smart TV to listen 🎶  via Mixcloud,  Radioking,  YouTube. I also use my mobile phone to listen in to the above platforms,  Got alexa but not set up yet. Hardly ever listen to vinyl at home because it means getting the turntable out and the records down, got Decks  Amp and speakers gathering dust up in the attic that need a run. 

Ste

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Sonos system in 3 rooms, also on iPad you tube etc, on the main computer also, before I sold up collection I used a project experience turntable through a Dino trichromatic phono amp into a ruark  r5 which also played cd’s. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

All my stuff is digitised and on Laptop/iPod. I do listen to CDs and internet radio via a Marantz system which gives good sound quality.

But have just discovered (Doh!) that you can download thousands of tracks onto a usb stick and just put it on random play; this is great in the car. And I now find myself listening to tracks I'd forgotten about or sometimes not played at all if they are on an album bought for one or two tracks.

Dave Banks

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 minutes ago, Davebanks said:

All my stuff is digitised and on Laptop/iPod. I do listen to CDs and internet radio via a Marantz system which gives good sound quality.

But have just discovered (Doh!) that you can download thousands of tracks onto a usb stick and just put it on random play; this is great in the car. And I now find myself listening to tracks I'd forgotten about or sometimes not played at all if they are on an album bought for one or two tracks.

Dave Banks

Dave. I listen to a radio station in the car called magic soul on Dab and occasionally a CD . I do have the facility to listen to Internet music  platforms via the car infotainment system but don't bother often.  Never thought about downloading to a USB stick. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I bought the really tiny USB sticks for the cars. Once in the cars USB port they only stick out a few millimeters.

And despite the size, holds something like 64gb....and cheap as chips. 

Similar to this.....

pqi-u603v-range-1_18015_18016.jpg

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. I listen to a radio station in the car called magic soul on Dab and occasionally a CD . I do have the facility to listen to Internet music  platforms via the car infotainment system but don't bother often.  Never thought about downloading to a USB stick. 

DAB reception in Devon and Cornwall is rubbish, unless its just my car. But the car is new (2020) and has a Bose system, so it should work OK. Anyway it has 3 USB ports so I have a stick in each port with 2000 tracks on each stick; a soul one a northern one and a reggae one for the wife. 

Trouble is can't go anywhere during lockdown to listen to them!.

Dave Banks

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

New car, my previous car had a tape deck and that was last year, cheers

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Sweet Soul!!!! 45s Listen,listen, Listen !!!!!
    Record Sales by Raresoulwax45s on Tue 05 Mar 2019
    • 5 / 1046
    • James Rice on 06 Mar 2019
  2. Les Tres Femme - Listen To Your Mama
    Record Wants by FunKPunK on Thu 12 May 2011
    • 3 / 546
    • FunKPunK on 15 May 2011
  3. Holy Grail Tune For Your Consideration, Take A Listen
    Record Sales by Raresoul45s on Fri 04 Sep 2009
    • 6 / 646
    • soulcarp on 04 Sep 2009
  4. Executive Jam "im Into Your Love" Third Street Listen
    Record Sales by sigher the gutter snype on Mon 27 Mar 2006
    • 9 / 1107
    • Russ Vickers on 29 Mar 2006
  5. 'look At Your Soul' Website: Listen, Share, Get Involved
    Soul Media by Paul-s on Tue 11 Aug 2020
    • 22 / 2378
    • Paul-s on 25 Nov 2020
  6. What Record Do You Listen To The Most When Your Sad To Make You Feel Better
    All About The Soul by thfcliam on Sat 16 Feb 2013
    • 45 / 1853
    • Carty on 28 Feb 2013

Related Soul Music Links