Jump to content

Members Soul plays and favs - 2021


Mike

Recommended Posts

A timely revamp for this popular topic

Welcome to the Soul plays, spins, favs 2021 topic

A members audio topic for single Youtube, Spotify and similar audio pass on posts

A place for passing on single current plays, spins, favs, recommendations and such

For performance and navigation reasons and importantly to encourage discussion

Do ask all members to try and follow the following ...

  • one video to one post
  • post the title and artist in text as well
  • avoid flooding/hogging the topic/forum with many posts - quality over quantity always gonna work best

Over to the floor....

 

Link to comment
Social source share

Been mainly buying reggae recently but a couple that may be of some interest to some on here.

Jack Radics has a really distinctive voice but usually his stuff is too "digital" for me but I thought this was a nice version

Bought this for lovers version of "Sad girl" but on flipping it

Finally a nice reggae/sweet soul cut that's almost a bit of a Northern midtempo dancer. It's a 12" so the DJ at the end I think is Butch when he's had a drink.

 

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

On 15/01/2021 at 19:19, Tomangoes said:

2021...well heres my new to me, but probably known to everybody else current favourite...

What a songbird.

Alex Brown ..im not responsible.

Ed

 

Ed ... It's been played in modern rooms for decades. She's predominantly a session singer, often perfroming on same sessions as Mortonette Jenkins (Jodi Mathis) but she did also release a 'passable' version of Billy Ocean's - Love Really Hurts Without You on Roxbury.

Link to comment
Social source share

The Gabriels - Love And Hate In A Different Time -  a recent release (Oct 2020) - One of those off-the-wall 'marmite' tunes you'll either love or hate.  Maybe it's just me, but I hear a cross between Heard It Through The Grapevine & You + Me = Love (Undiputed Truth). It's definately a 'stomper'!

 

Edited by Soulstrutter
added artist - title
  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

3 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Ed ... It's been played in modern rooms for decades. She's predominantly a session singer, often perfroming on same sessions as Mortonette Jenkins (Jodi Mathis) but she did also release a 'passable' version of Billy Ocean's - Love Really Hurts Without You on Roxbury.

Cheers for that...heard it was a morcombe pier fave, but never went.

Now you've got me going on labels...heres a beauty on Roxbury...

Ed

 

 

 

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

Blew my Christmas money early with a big spend of nearly £20 with P&P on Clifford Binns - You've Got To Help Me (Carrie 014) the slower version of 6501 which I still haven't received, but I bought closer to home for my second purchase of 2021 less than a £10 note with P&P for this on the Atco label not the Atlantic.

Kirsty

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

On 22/01/2021 at 14:25, Soulstrutter said:

The Gabriels - Love And Hate In A Different Time -  a recent release (Oct 2020) - One of those off-the-wall 'marmite' tunes you'll either love or hate.  Maybe it's just me, but I hear a cross between Heard It Through The Grapevine & You + Me = Love (Undiputed Truth). It's definately a 'stomper'!

 

Mines finally arrived - will be a radio show play for me ....

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

One I'd forgotten about until I saw it mentioned in Gilly's book last night , Johnnie's voice always takes me to a calm and happy place, I love the crackles on the record in this video adds a bit of authenticity like you're listening to the record not a copy from a cd

 

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

15 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Did you ever, would you ever ?

No, never did play this version Though used to play SOS Band version, this is OK to listen to at home but would i play it out, Probably because some people do like Head Nodders like this to move to in a Modern Soul Setting 🙂

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Thats very R Kelly....

And Mary J Blige.

No messing about with the message in the song there:)

Ed

 

1 hour ago, Rick Scott said:

No, never did play this version Though used to play SOS Band version, this is OK to listen to at home but would i play it out, Probably because some people do like Head Nodders like this to move to in a Modern Soul Setting 🙂

The R Kelly reference is outstanding as it was Rick and the 7" white label "Share My Love" that both my Wife and I thought and mentioned of when we listened.......how weird !!!!!

Link to comment
Social source share

4 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

 

The R Kelly reference is outstanding as it was Rick and the 7" white label "Share My Love" that both my Wife and I thought and mentioned of when we listened.......how weird !!!!!

He is obviously more than questionable!!!  But Share My Love was and is a great tune.

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

On 25/02/2021 at 11:29, Rick Scott said:

Still A Favourite of mine ***** Love It 😃 Please Enjoy😃

*Bought in December 2010 Record Label Acoustic Vibes (Jamaica)*

I can't make up my mind if he's the worst pub act I've ever heard or the most distinctive voice in a generation. I've put up "Groovin" before but I just got this by him

I came across this the other day which is a nice version

 

Link to comment
Social source share

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.