Members Soul plays and favs - 2021

Mike

OK how many knew she recorded this on Soul Sessions Vol. 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYB-GfHicOQ

UPDATE:

It's only on the delxue version of CD and appears to have been issued on vinyl in US only and they are selling for well over a ton - only 4 currently for sale on discogs and 3 of them are over £200! 

https://www.discogs.com/Joss-Stone-The-Soul-Sessions-Vol-2/release/3771610

here's a live version in Sao Paulo in 2012:

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

His biggest selling record #1 R&B #10 Hot 100 in 1976 ... and his only Top 40 hit!

Just about good enough to dance to...was it ever played as a new release?

The 'other' version is obviously superior, but this was as good as the other new releases at the time that did get a play like tavares, Linda and the funky boys, Chuck Jackson etc

Ed

Social source share

16 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Just about good enough to dance to...was it ever played as a new release?

The 'other' version is obviously superior, but this was as good as the other new releases at the time that did get a play like tavares, Linda and the funky boys, Chuck Jackson etc

Ed

You 'obviously' must be referring to this version 😉:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUWkl_mojNk

or maybe this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqaSCKTRQQQ

I don't reall William Bell's getting spins ... I'd guess it was 'too slow' for those days, but someone with more knowledge may correct me?

Social source share

Did this ever get played? I know that 'Don't Be Afraid (Take My Love)' did from their later album and was only released as 45 in UK on Polydor (due to demand?)).  If not, do you think some 'imaginatve' jock would get away with it now? It's just been covered with several new mixes by Aliana & Gallo.

P.S. Steve Flanagan (I've Arrived) was a member of the group, although to me he sounds like a pub singer on I've Arrived!!!! How did he go from that to this?

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

You 'obviously' must be referring to this version 😉:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUWkl_mojNk

or maybe this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqaSCKTRQQQ

I don't reall William Bell's getting spins ... I'd guess it was 'too slow' for those days, but someone with more knowledge may correct me?

Even the Barbara Lynn version must have come to the floor much later...

Ed

Social source share

On 04/03/2021 at 13:32, Soulstrutter said:

Did these ever get played? I know that 'Don't Be Afraid (Take My Love)' did from their later album and was only released as 45 in UK on Polydor (due to demand?)).  If not, do you think some 'imaginatve' jock would get away with it now? It's just been covered with several new mixes by Aliana & Gallo.

P.S. Steve Flanagan (I've Arrived) was a member of the group, although to me he sounds like a pub singer on I've Arrived!!!! How did he go from that to this?

In my bedroom, classic sound

Social source share

Yes have put this track up a year or two back but thinking maybe Wrong Place Wrong Time !

So Hidden on the 'B' Side of 'Come See About Me' 45  Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels 1967

Also an Album Track,

When Played aways had people up the the decks for a 'Sticky Beak'

Oooooozes Atmosphere and excitement *Common*, Yes , and Cheap as Chips as they say, but Quality.

Crank it up and Enjoy!

Rick 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mike said:

rick

this be better suited posted in one of the members audio topics

here are

will close

now

just merged an 'out of place' topic into this one

ask all members to try and keep things in the right place when posting

thanks

Social source share

I just bought one of these, Kansas City Express - This Is the Place / Ocean of Tears  not the custom press I'm afraid 😞

Rather nice track that sounds very much like 'a love for all seasons' Fuzz & Something easy..I would not of thought it was trendy, but I like it..

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Westender said:

Terrific 60's small label no frills soul. Another guy who could really sing and yet amazingly this was one of only 2 sides he recorded (I think)....

I like the other tune better, and his group outing is also good.

Interesting guy..

Towles

Fred Towles

Profile:

Freddee Towles was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio,USA, home of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Fred eventually adopted his own vocal styles that range from Rock-N-Roll, Blues to R&B. After this he graduated from East Tech and served in the Air Force, one day he was driving and saw a billboard that stated “singers needed”. Fred jumped at the opportunity and went to the record company and said ‘I can sing” and they called down the head A&R guy Lester Johnson to come down and hear Fred who impressed everyone and was signed on the spot to a record deal and that’s when Fred Towles eventually made his own unique mark on the musical world. In 1968 Fred’s singles were released through Jim Brown’s record company Way Out who was Distributed by MGM Records a division of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., the single “Too Much Monkey Business” was a hit and went to number #3 on the Billboard Charts, followed by the single “Hook It To The Mule” with The Jacksonians which was short lived. Fred eventually found himself without a record deal, but he continued on his musical path and moved to California and caught the ears of Detroit music impresario Berry Gordy Jr., sister Anna Gordy Gaye, and ex-wife of musical great Marvin Gaye, (deceased), who eventually managed Fred Towles career that led to him sharing the stage with such great artists as: Rod Stewart, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Aerosmith, Buddy Miles, Elvin Bishop, Al Cooper, Sly and The Family Stone, Buddy Guy and Jr. Wells, Albert King, Cactus and J Giles.

image.png.e1b11203b1e1ee64e5d798eeda94b0c6.png

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 27/03/2021 at 14:34, Soulstrutter said:

Released digitally yesterday and due on 7" 3rd week of May - I expect this will sell out quickly so get your pre-order in if you want one!  A brand new release with a vintage crossover/Northern feel: Carmy Love - Thinking About You on Big AC.

Have placed  pre release order  - apparently Ltd and selling out fast  ...

Edited by Andybellwood
Social source share