JMAuction - 13/01/2020 - Results

Zanetti

Wade Flemons must be the most overpriced and over rated record ever

Skill snaps finally starting to come back down to earth on its price.   still needs another £100 off it though 

Ruben Howell.  How much. 

Love the Arabians but not sure its worth the end price  would have thought £300 - £400 

All my humble opinion of course but hey what do I know 🤔 

Ste 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Ladymidnight said:

Thanks for posting.

That price for The Falcons must be one of the biggest auction-related WTF’s for a long time. Two brilliant sides, but still.

It appears to have disappeared from JM's site.  I can see some are still there with their final bids showing, but not all are still visible.

Perhaps someone miss-keyed their max bid (or maybe a couple of people did to get it that high).

Got a copy a few months back from a well-known and very reliable dealer for I think £350 (maybe £400).  Did my dealer mess up or did someone go bananas for this 45?

Was also amazed at The Arabians...thought this was £300 - £350, maybe a tad more for the yellow issue.

My gast is flabbered...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Ladymidnight said:

Arabians and Falcons are both regularly available for 400 tops. Again, both are superb doublesiders, but not very hard to purchase for a LOT less.

Your spot on with the price of these two,the Falcons has been £400 for a while and the Arabians has slowley crept up to the same. Chris. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Scooterboy said:

It appears to have disappeared from JM's site.  I can see some are still there with their final bids showing, but not all are still visible.

Perhaps someone miss-keyed their max bid (or maybe a couple of people did to get it that high).

Got a copy a few months back from a well-known and very reliable dealer for I think £350 (maybe £400).  Did my dealer mess up or did someone go bananas for this 45?

Was also amazed at The Arabians...thought this was £300 - £350, maybe a tad more for the yellow issue.

My gast is flabbered...

I think the final bid was no mistake as the bidding ended at 18:08, so it prolonged, i.e. at least two bidders (I spare the foul language here) were carrying it out.

And yeah, absolutely crazy price..

Social source share

Well, someone’s having a Good, Good, Good, Good Feeling tonight... This is a £350 record, or it was until now.

Gentlemen June usually fetches half on eBay - loads of this one around.

Mr Big Shot (Set Sale spot) par for the course and recent reactivation plus demand have nudged this well beyond the £200 mark.

Falcons was £30 about 25 years ago - great record and hard to grab but never worth £1,300-£1,400.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Corbett80 said:

Anyone know what happened to The Fantastics ‘Me & You’ on this auction? Seemed to disappear last week.

Thanks!

j

The link to JM’s auction site which appeared on my Facebook feed today shows the auction for that 45 finishes on 20/1/21 but when you search his website it’s not there. Odd.

72D5D2EA-5BD3-4B6D-B4BE-BA1C8D3E6486.png

Edited by Autumnstoned
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Well, someone’s having a Good, Good, Good, Good Feeling tonight... This is a £350 record, or it was until now.

Gentlemen June usually fetches half on eBay - loads of this one around.

Mr Big Shot (Set Sale spot) par for the course and recent reactivation plus demand have nudged this well beyond the £200 mark.

Falcons was £30 about 25 years ago - great record and hard to grab but never worth £1,300-£1,400.

Will be interesting to see if The Falcons increases significantly in price as a result of this fantastical selling price...and stays at a higher price.

I seem to recall JM auctioned a Vel-Vets I Got To Find To Find Me Somebody (issue) for over £1,000 which was totally bananas at the time (maybe 2 - 3 years ago).  As far as I know it's never been sold (or advertised) for anywhere near that sum since - I've seen it at around the £500 - £600 mark.

If the person who came second in the auction wants to put a shout out on SS and is prepared to pay , say £1,000 for a copy (£300 saving on JM) I suspect they'd have a few offers.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Scooterboy said:

Will be interesting to see if The Falcons increases significantly in price as a result of this fantastical selling price...and stays at a higher price.

I seem to recall JM auctioned a Vel-Vets I Got To Find To Find Me Somebody (issue) for over £1,000 which was totally bananas at the time (maybe 2 - 3 years ago).  As far as I know it's never been sold (or advertised) for anywhere near that sum since - I've seen it at around the £500 - £600 mark.

If the person who came second in the auction wants to put a shout out on SS and is prepared to pay , say £1,000 for a copy (£300 saving on JM) I suspect they'd have a few offers.

Chris.  You and I both know that John gets prices far more than the REAL value of the records for whatever reason that is. and no one on here will convince me otherwise fortunately the majority of soulies know this and sell and buy at reasonable prices. There's always the odd one that will try it on as can be seen on here occasionally,  records for sale week in and week out that are more than double the real world prices . 

I  can't see anything on this list that is actually a rare record worthy of a auction but someone with more money than sense has. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Philt said:

I reckon most serious collectors are willing to stretch themselves a wee bit for something dog rare as that sorta comes with the disease. Thing is though, as Baz points out, records continue to fetch 33-50% more than you think they would or should on a very regular basis these days, everything is auctioned etc etc

I don't doubt the influences of simple market forces -  supply / demand - and age i.e. most folk have more disposable income simply because they're older, certainly way more than we did as kids trying to build collections. Moreover, at one time things were (or at least appeared at the time to be) around in quantity which, combined with how relatively little most people had to spend, drove prices down or at least kept them within what most thought were fairly sensible bounds. 

Interesting observations from some respected commentators in the media recently about some stocks being valued at vastly inflated and ultimately irrational prices and the dangerous, bubble effect it creates- I was reading it and thinking about record prices.

Over the fullness of time the market will decide won't it and there surely has to come a point at which supply starts to outstrip demand as people pack it in because, variously:  they're too old / it's no fun anymore / the things they want are simply out of reach /  they run out of dough /  they get a panic on when they realise that all their 'trophies' will be sat gathering dust and worth a fraction of what they paid for em. (It'll also be interesting to see how the pandemic impacts if social life remains on hold and once the full financial implications really kick-in).

Somewhere in the mix there'll also always be the odd one or two who life doesn't press too hard and, in all honesty, if I was one of them I might be right at it myself: if money was no object I'd own everything I could possibly get my hands on I reckon. Problems arise though when their lack of judgement, knowledge, restraint, constraints or whatever are used to try and represent (sincere apologies) 'a new normal'. It isn't normal though is it, it's absolutely barking mad! 

If you put every copy of the Falcons in the UK on a table how much would you get for one?

Good analysis Phil , the lack of knowledge surely is a major factor and perhaps a new demographic, in all honesty it’s a small collecting network in the UK 🇬🇧 and everyone knows everyone , buys off each other through social media etc . I do not know who would pay these prices that’s the mystery ? 

Social source share

59 minutes ago, Halogen said:

I think prices could be getting inflated, because with lockdowns, a lot of USA and UK dealers are finding it hard to move about and find new records to sell.

If there is less records about, the prices will go up!

Don't think that's the case at all, whilst sellers and collectors aren't moving about venue to venue it still looks like a very busy market and dealer mates of mine say they are busy.  The forums, both here and on Facebook seem very busy to with collectors buying and selling.

Social source share

15 hours ago, Chalky said:

Don't think that's the case at all, whilst sellers and collectors aren't moving about venue to venue it still looks like a very busy market and dealer mates of mine say they are busy.  The forums, both here and on Facebook seem very busy to with collectors buying and selling.

Yes but they are all the same records going round and round from dealer to collector/dj and back to dealer! There is very little fresh stock coming in from the States!

Edited by Halogen
Social source share

1 hour ago, Halogen said:

Yes but they are all the same records going round and round from dealer to collector/dj and back to dealer! There is very little fresh stock coming in from the States!

I’m inclined to agree with you. The US auctions are not throwing up much at all just lately. The bigger sellers are falling back on poorer condition stock and maybe selling UK slow-sellers on commission. Record stores in the States are closed at present so the crate diggers are not uncovering stock.

Some of the best records for sale recently have been offered on Soul Source. There are at least three sellers trickling out the best items in their collections, choice items being offered to fund the purchase of a major want, and loads of low end stuff being cleared out to make room for more.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, Halogen said:

There are plenty of Americans on Facebook selling. Might not be the big finds but there hasn’t been for yearS. All depends what you are looking for,  new discoveries are very thin on the ground but if you are looking for something in particular someone will often come up with it. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Its going to be interesting to see if there will be much difference between what Tim gets for Earl Jackson as to what John gets for the copy he is selling,both are M- condition. 

The next three Wednesdays promise to be very interesting. John’s copy of Earl Jackson has almost reached 1K in 24 hours. John has also put up a Bobby Garrett on Mirwood when RareSoul45’s has one for set sale at £300 - this begs the question, do you grab Steve Jeffries before John’s goes for silly money or ignore them both as it’s a £200 record at the most?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

The next three Wednesdays promise to be very interesting. John’s copy of Earl Jackson has almost reached 1K in 24 hours. John has also put up a Bobby Garrett on Mirwood when RareSoul45’s has one for set sale at £300 - this begs the question, do you grab Steve Jeffries before John’s goes for silly money or ignore them both as it’s a £200 record at the most?

Good question,it will also be interesting to see what john gets for the masqueraders. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!