How can we improve Soul Source for you?

Posted

Ok now well into this new year, and so how about a weekend topic for some member led feedback, as in...

Any thoughts on the above?

It may be best if you group thoughts under the following points, but whatever works for you...?

General

What would you like to see more of on Soul Source 

What would you like to see less of on Soul Source

Feature Specific 

News and Articles ?

Forums ?

Sales Markt Features ?

Event Guide ?

Extra Features - Video/gallery/newsletters/map/directory ?

Layout/Interface

Design and desktop/mobile views

As said a weekend topic, thoughts and such are most welcome, though do ask try and keep points to the actual features and grouped as such.

For this topic to work well, asking all to keep any specific forum moderation points for a separate subject later if needed.

Importantly am reaching out to long time 'quiet' members and similar to break cover so to speak and post up their views as well

over to the floor...

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 18
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm one of the "quiet" members.  So here'e my first post.  I really like the site especially the links to new music and old favourites.  My passion is soul music of all sorts and I've discovered some

Feature: i did think maybe a chat ( chat now) feature might be useful, For logged in members. But i’m Not sure if it could be moderated? Or whether it may be mis-used. i guess the slow respo

Maybe an on this day/week type topic covering 1960's and 1970's  . Could even be publishing the billboard charts for that week for comment. Not sure about copyright for that! Dave Banks

Posted (edited)

Feature:

i did think maybe a chat ( chat now) feature might be useful, For logged in members. But i’m Not sure if it could be moderated? Or whether it may be mis-used.

i guess the slow response from members on this topic suggests you and your team have features well covered Mike.

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Maybe an on this day/week type topic covering 1960's and 1970's  . Could even be publishing the billboard charts for that week for comment. Not sure about copyright for that!

Dave Banks

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Mike

To be far I have had   issues in the past because of the moderating of a thread in 2018 about Johnny Boy Pryors new release which to be fair we can't give away today.  I personally got it wrong because I pressed too many  .  I  with the greatest respect  love my mates with a passion and fight there corner!  . But threads that can end up in a bun fight and I personally wear some that responsbilty  which I apolgize for simply because '' I got upset '' will turn people off '' especially in this incredibly sad times  as they might be depressed enough. Social media really annoys me beyond belief!  and there loss  with people  maybe  switching off it  ?  could be Soul Sources gain ?

Soul Source  help in ( our book project) as been immense &  we  will be helping Kim Weston & four  other artists in Book 2  (release date  end of  2021 )  who are Strugglin !    I personally will be mentioning it  and  thanking   Soul Source  in Book 2  because helping  artists is our project teams  --- end game.

So to your Question's .

Your  have helped are  book but  there are  other book writors   who are currently  writing about are  scene & maybe high - lighting them might highlight some of many  parts of are soul scene  & create hopefully healthy debate !  while most are  stuck  at home &  are deprived of  a  visit to a  soul night & hitting that dance floor & enjoying the crack . I am lucky In Queenland Australia that  we have  got nights on but feel your Pain because you can't .

New artists

I  have been trying to  helping Jamie & the numbers for 12 months because she is a younger artist like '' Johnny Boy'' &  Paul Stewart Davis who have a Passion to sing soul music.

So maybe Soul Source can highlight some of these  postive sides of what there  trying to a achieve  to  progress the scene to generations that are younger than we are  !  Sadly my many kids   don't get soul music and that personally saddens me .

I am dyslexic  so writing don't some easy and this site does not have windows  ( Grammarly ) so does it put people off  ? who like me are not Thick but can write as though we might be ! To write this took me a seriously   STUPID  amount of time  & still will be hard for people to read ! 

John Warren  book writor  ''Of are  soul music  journey'' . I tried to write a few chapters which were very challenging. My name is  on the book by default some ones name as to be on the cover but there are many writors in our book  who share my vision .

Thanks &  to the soul family safe best John

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I'm one of the "quiet" members.  So here'e my first post.  I really like the site especially the links to new music and old favourites.  My passion is soul music of all sorts and I've discovered some great tracks over the last year or so as a result of checking out recommendations on here.  As far as changes or improvements are concerned I think you have got it about right, it's the best soul related site I have come across.  Keep up the good work!

• Up vote 7
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

thanks all for the takes/views/suggestions

am clearing up after the weekend site wise, so will leave up for another day and reply tomorrow 👍

any more?

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Mike

I can't think of anything I'd like to see less of, it's easy to quickly see what the topic is about and read, join in or move on . Compared to Facebook groups there's plenty of time to catch up with posts days, weeks or years later. Some subjects may seem overdone but for new members they may have missed the commotion from ten years ago. Could there be a monthly "Ten years ago" reprise for some hot topic.

CD and vinyl releases are quite often listed , which I find useful but maybe it could be done in more depth with inclusion of overseas labels . Maybe invite reviews from members.

Obviously the main focus of the site is for northern soul with input from UK members but could it possible to include deep soul and try to reach out to international members. Maybe an option could be for the id name info just to have an "international " addition. This may encourage overseas posts as they don't have to worry about seeming to lack the UK perspective or poor English.

The polls about which versions of a song people prefer and which side of a record they like were interesting but seem to have stopped. Obviously the subjects are limited but could there be further polls.

It would be nice to see some new names and some people from the past  post more but no one can be forced to join in.

Rick

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 16/01/2021 at 15:58, Kenb said:

Feature:

i did think maybe a chat ( chat now) feature might be useful, For logged in members. But i’m Not sure if it could be moderated? Or whether it may be mis-used.

have tried chat in the past, but cost and/or server demands were excessive and memory says that the use faded away after initial use, plus am not sure if there be a demand especially given the amount of stand alone message aps already around?

i guess the slow response from members on this topic suggests you and your team have features well covered Mike.

thanks Ken

Am just about used to the slow response with feedback requests, we do have a forum set up for feedback but its always like pulling teeth trying to get feedback/views etc in there

On 17/01/2021 at 11:34, Davebanks said:

Maybe an on this day/week type topic covering 1960's and 1970's  . Could even be publishing the billboard charts for that week for comment. Not sure about copyright for that!

Dave Banks

thanks Dave,

A great suggestion, though It be quite a commitment, be it for site or members to take up and then keep it going

But food for thought, maybe it's something could look at incorporating in /with our calendar feature ?

will reply to other points posted later  👍

Edited by Mike
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Mike. Is it possible to bring back the ebay monthly highest price record list that was a regular feature until about 6 months ago 

Cheers mate 👍 

Ste

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 17/01/2021 at 13:19, Rushden8 said:

Mike

To be far I have had   issues in the past because of the moderating of a thread in 2018 about Johnny Boy Pryors new release which to be fair we can't give away today.  I personally got it wrong because I pressed too many  .  I  with the greatest respect  love my mates with a passion and fight there corner!  . But threads that can end up in a bun fight and I personally wear some that responsbilty  which I apolgize for simply because '' I got upset '' will turn people off '' especially in this incredibly sad times  as they might be depressed enough. Social media really annoys me beyond belief!  and there loss  with people  maybe  switching off it  ?  could be Soul Sources gain ?

Soul Source  help in ( our book project) as been immense &  we  will be helping Kim Weston & four  other artists in Book 2  (release date  end of  2021 )  who are Strugglin !    I personally will be mentioning it  and  thanking   Soul Source  in Book 2  because helping  artists is our project teams  --- end game.

So to your Question's .

Your  have helped are  book but  there are  other book writors   who are currently  writing about are  scene & maybe high - lighting them might highlight some of many  parts of are soul scene  & create hopefully healthy debate !  while most are  stuck  at home &  are deprived of  a  visit to a  soul night & hitting that dance floor & enjoying the crack . I am lucky In Queenland Australia that  we have  got nights on but feel your Pain because you can't .

New artists

I  have been trying to  helping Jamie & the numbers for 12 months because she is a younger artist like '' Johnny Boy'' &  Paul Stewart Davis who have a Passion to sing soul music.

So maybe Soul Source can highlight some of these  postive sides of what there  trying to a achieve  to  progress the scene to generations that are younger than we are  !  Sadly my many kids   don't get soul music and that personally saddens me .

Thanks for your views John

On projects such as books and new releases/artists, we do highlight such as news in the news feature when aware and feel doing such would be of interest to members

A fair few factors do come into play with news articles, an important one  is 'when aware', others are quality of the article, repetition, and of interest as in fit in with the sites thrust.

The news is editorial based but we do encourage and rely on members submissions.

Though importantly we do have the forums where members can actually pass on news and such of various projects quickly and in a non-deliberate way that doesn't need the preparation of images, videos etc that the news items take.

On 17/01/2021 at 13:19, Rushden8 said:

I am dyslexic  so writing don't some easy and this site does not have windows  ( Grammarly ) so does it put people off  ? who like me are not Thick but can write as though we might be ! To write this took me a seriously   STUPID  amount of time  & still will be hard for people to read ! 

John Warren  book writor  ''Of are  soul music  journey'' . I tried to write a few chapters which were very challenging. My name is  on the book by default some ones name as to be on the cover but there are many writors in our book  who share my vision .

Thanks &  to the soul family safe best John

For anyone using services like 'Grammarly' I suggest that the best way would be on sites like this, which don't support it, is to write your post off site, such as in a normal word type editor.

Grammarly does have its own editor yep?

Then once finished and happy with the text, you can simply copy and paste it into our editor

shoudl work better?

A bit more deliberate but that should avoid any hassle you are

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
21 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Mike

I can't think of anything I'd like to see less of, it's easy to quickly see what the topic is about and read, join in or move on . Compared to Facebook groups there's plenty of time to catch up with posts days, weeks or years later. Some subjects may seem overdone but for new members they may have missed the commotion from ten years ago. Could there be a monthly "Ten years ago" reprise for some hot topic.

CD and vinyl releases are quite often listed , which I find useful but maybe it could be done in more depth with inclusion of overseas labels . Maybe invite reviews from members.

Rick, thanks for your views

News and reviews is an area that could be improved, maybe get some semi-pro article writers involved?

Anyone reading up for such, pm me if are

Obviously the main focus of the site is for northern soul with input from UK members but could it possible to include deep soul and try to reach out to international members. Maybe an option could be for the id name info just to have an "international " addition. This may encourage overseas posts as they don't have to worry about seeming to lack the UK perspective or poor English.

Not really sure about the  'id name info just to have an "international " addition.' suggestion, can you expand?

The non-uk element is a bit disappointing nowadays, I did feel years ago that it was one of our strengths, but with social media and such it can be hard to both encourage and develop nowadays

The polls about which versions of a song people prefer and which side of a record they like were interesting but seem to have stopped. Obviously the subjects are limited but could there be further polls.

I used to post them up, but the 'fun' element seemed to drop out of them for some reasons, so gave them up

maybe someone like to give them or similar a go

It would be nice to see some new names and some people from the past  post more but no one can be forced to join in.

Rick

yep agree, it be good to see

I do think the site reflects what the members want and put into it, we do seem to evolve and develop a considerable amount over time, it's certainly a different place than say  5, 10 or even 20 years ago

thanks for the points/suggestions

On 17/01/2021 at 15:15, Petered said:

I'm one of the "quiet" members.  So here'e my first post.  I really like the site especially the links to new music and old favourites.  My passion is soul music of all sorts and I've discovered some great tracks over the last year or so as a result of checking out recommendations on here.  As far as changes or improvements are concerned I think you have got it about right, it's the best soul related site I have come across.  Keep up the good work!

Ah thats good to read and thanks for posting Pete 👍

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mike. Is it possible to bring back the ebay monthly highest price record list that was a regular feature until about 6 months ago 

Cheers mate 👍 

Ste

as said at the time Steve

it was ebay who stopped it

I used to custom code the feature, and it developed over the years, but looked like ebay sussed out they could make money out of it by offering the data in a different way and so pulled it

there may be an alternative way but may take a fair few hours work

though do have to say that the response those posts used to get discussion wise started getting disappointing , can remember trying to get some going when posting and not having much luck at all, I just looked at last two,  0 and 2 comments, which does sort of suck

I have a look at alternatives in near future

• Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
15 hours ago, Mike said:

Thanks for your views John

On projects such as books and new releases/artists, we do highlight such as news in the news feature when aware and feel doing such would be of interest to members

A fair few factors do come into play with news articles, an important one  is 'when aware', others are quality of the article, repetition, and of interest as in fit in with the sites thrust.

The news is editorial based but we do encourage and rely on members submissions.

Though importantly we do have the forums where members can actually pass on news and such of various projects quickly and in a non-deliberate way that doesn't need the preparation of images, videos etc that the news items take.

For anyone using services like 'Grammarly' I suggest that the best way would be on sites like this, which don't support it, is to write your post off site, such as in a normal word type editor.

Grammarly does have its own editor yep?

Then once finished and happy with the text, you can simply copy and paste it into our editor

shoudl work better?

A bit more deliberate but that should avoid any hassle you are

Thanks Mike for your feedback and  a  good critique . Thanks again for the promotion the UK sales are to be honest are fair at best but when reviews come in it will evolve . Working Books 2-3 best John Scarborough Village ( hot) Queensland .

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I find Soul Source very informative and enjoy the articles, balance and areas covered.

I have particularly liked the New Releases 2020 feature highlighting  unknown records (to me) and  in some cases prompting me make a  purchase.

Some suggestions for topics for the future apologies if these have already being covered:

• Current recommended record shops in particular areas, towns etc. With Covid a lot of shops are facing uncertain times and unfortunately some record stores may be forced to close. Members could contribute to maintaining an up to date list which may be useful for future crate digging expeditions , (including overseas).
  • Idiots guide to bootlegs/matrix numbers etc.
  • Top 3 records from a particular year. Based on release, members select their top three soul records for the year selected.
  • Recommended  Downloads/CD only tracks  –  may prompt a conversation and demand /interest for the tracks to be released on vinyl.

Thanks

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 20/01/2021 at 20:05, soulwolf said:

I find Soul Source very informative and enjoy the articles, balance and areas covered.

I have particularly liked the New Releases 2020 feature highlighting  unknown records (to me) and  in some cases prompting me make a  purchase.

Some suggestions for topics for the future apologies if these have already being covered:

• Current recommended record shops in particular areas, towns etc. With Covid a lot of shops are facing uncertain times and unfortunately some record stores may be forced to close. Members could contribute to maintaining an up to date list which may be useful for future crate digging expeditions , (including overseas).
  • Idiots guide to bootlegs/matrix numbers etc.
  • Top 3 records from a particular year. Based on release, members select their top three soul records for the year selected.
  • Recommended  Downloads/CD only tracks  –  may prompt a conversation and demand /interest for the tracks to be released on vinyl.

Thanks

thanks for your suggestions for topics

though sometimes works best if the topics are started by members

why not start 1 or 2 of the above and see how they go

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Shelft

On 19/01/2021 at 16:33, Mike said:

as said at the time Steve

it was ebay who stopped it

I used to custom code the feature, and it developed over the years, but looked like ebay sussed out they could make money out of it by offering the data in a different way and so pulled it

there may be an alternative way but may take a fair few hours work

though do have to say that the response those posts used to get discussion wise started getting disappointing , can remember trying to get some going when posting and not having much luck at all, I just looked at last two,  0 and 2 comments, which does sort of suck

I have a look at alternatives in near future

Shelftrend I used to subscribe to,might be worth a look

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

In general, I would say leave the site as it is.  I value it as it is right now and don't need loads more features.  Content is ultimately down to the members and there may be ways to stimulate engagement further, but I'd just avoid anything too gimmicky.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 26/01/2021 at 11:28, Thinksmart said:

In general, I would say leave the site as it is.  I value it as it is right now and don't need loads more features.  Content is ultimately down to the members and there may be ways to stimulate engagement further, but I'd just avoid anything too gimmicky.

I like the site just as it is too - can't think of any more features I would like to see added - it's easy enough to navigate & just scroll past anything that isn't relevant to me. Thanks to all the admin for your hard work - it's very much appreciated! 👍

Edited by Kathryn Magson
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

thanks to all for taking the time and passing on your views

all appreciated and helpful 👍

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source