Collector - who me?

Kenb

The various posts about record prices/values/collectors (e.g. subject: JM auction results) prompted me to kick this off.

Posts about collectors are like posts about mythical creatures to me. I don't know any. And only know i'm not one, and just have/buy records to keep & play.

I did note in JM 6th edition (2013) it says over 6K collectors had been added since edition 5 and there are about 700 pages of tightly listed 45's. 

So...What's the definition of a NS vinyl collectors? Is there one?

I don't know, but am genuinely interested (no other motive here).

I know some collect by label, some by artist, some by UK, etc, BUT particularly in the context of prices & values what constitutes a typical NS collector? 

Is it someone who has 100K records, 30K records? 5K records?

Is it someone who has 10 records with a value of £100K?, £500K?

Is there a 'collector scale', small, medium, large, v.large...off-the-scale

Are collectors mostly DJ's?

Can you be a collector if you have 1K, 3K, 5K, 10K records each under £30 each?

Can you sell your only copies of a certain record ('rare/obscure') and still be considered a collector?

Is it rarity/obscurity that determines your collector status?

If collectors are buying and selling between themselves, is that collecting or just a transfer of an asset.

What's typical of soul-source collectors?

Is there a definition?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I’d say from when allnighters and soul nites became more prevalent say around early 90’s,which made it more open for wannabe DJ’s to get spots,especially with the rise of the internet making record buying more accessible! It meant that the DJs weren’t something that fell out of the sky with a magical world in which the records came from! So in answer to the question I’d say the new name for a collector is DJ! Cos most collectors now buy the records with the floor  in mind! 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Surely most collectors, collect what they like and what they can afford. Two variables there.

That was me back in the day...

Never understood owning records I did not like but it meant I had everything released on a particular label, but no doubt it happens.

A DJ and a collector can be one and the same, but no guarantee that having a great collection makes you a great dj, even though plenty may think that!

I remember reading an article about Martin Barnfather who had to sell some rare tunes to fund the purchase of in demand great tunes. Thats probably something most djs do unless they are super rich!

I'd agree that having say a collection of 75% of all respected original vinyl records ever played on the scene, is probably double the number needed from 1980.

Ed

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 17/01/2021 at 16:25, Kenb said:

The various posts about record prices/values/collectors (e.g. subject: JM auction results) prompted me to kick this off.

Posts about collectors are like posts about mythical creatures to me. I don't know any. And only know i'm not one, and just have/buy records to keep & play.

I did note in JM 6th edition (2013) it says over 6K collectors had been added since edition 5 and there are about 700 pages of tightly listed 45's. 

So...What's the definition of a NS vinyl collectors? Is there one?

I don't know, but am genuinely interested (no other motive here).

I know some collect by label, some by artist, some by UK, etc, BUT particularly in the context of prices & values what constitutes a typical NS collector? 

Is it someone who has 100K records, 30K records? 5K records?

Is it someone who has 10 records with a value of £100K?, £500K?

Is there a 'collector scale', small, medium, large, v.large...off-the-scale

Are collectors mostly DJ's?

Can you be a collector if you have 1K, 3K, 5K, 10K records each under £30 each?

Can you sell your only copies of a certain record ('rare/obscure') and still be considered a collector?

Is it rarity/obscurity that determines your collector status?

If collectors are buying and selling between themselves, is that collecting or just a transfer of an asset.

What's typical of soul-source collectors?

Is there a definition?

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Just buy what I like, and like what I buy...and that can be anything really, I do have a penchant for Aussie stuff but that only started cause I lived there a bit some decades ago...  I have realised though that after all these years collecting, there are very few that had my taste in music, Martin who used to DJ at These Old shoes did, every time he bought one, or played one, he was spot on... he is a lovely guy Martin.  I’ve never been a DJ, so I can’t say anything about that, but it must be very constrictive in that you have to have certain tracks... I guess they end up having two collections, one for us, one for them... lol

What about that 'The Banks Brothers - Bring It All Back Home', Mark W just sold a spare of, very very cool record...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!