Quartet of Good Un's

Soulfulsolutions

As promised earlier this week, here’s a handful of good un’s up for set sale.

Sound files available on request, PM any questions or to place an offer.

Towanda Barnes – You don’t mean it – A&M 1141 Ex+ £500 SOLD

Harlem’s own Gloria Barnes of course, and produced much in the likeness of the Flodavieur’s mentioned latterly, intentional off-key piano ivories and rasping horns, a hint of femme fatale menace over the sparse uncomplicated instrumentation, all guided by the astute Johnny Brantley.  Delivered at an upbeat pace and just the most incredible vocals.  With single releases limited to this and “If I’m guilty” on Groovy, it comes as no surprise that those seeking more sass for this NYC diva, look to her incredibly rare LP “Uptown” on the Maple label.

£500 I hear you say, and you’d be right to challenge that for the more common white demo, but for a brown stock copy, well, they don’t come around very often, hence the uplift for rarity.  A beautiful copy, just sleeve marks withholding a M- grading, a joy to behold in an A&M birth sleeve.

IMG_E0190.thumb.JPG.cf49bfa5d627e811425565761921a1c6.JPG 

IMG_E0192.thumb.JPG.7a19b2feb1dff11b0f571ec07d2863e4.JPG

Andy Fisher – My hearts beating stronger / A wee bit longer – Fat Fish 8009 M- £1400

Glorious Californian mid-tempo soul and positioned right in amongst the front runners of that rich vocal style often overshadowed by the broad range of styles associated with the Northern genre.  Who would have thought with the opening line “Like the little boy standing outside of the pet shop” would grow into one of the most engaging and meaningful vocal and lyrical performances to grace the scene?  The Encores pitching in to do what only girl backing groups normally succeed in, and a bold preference for a plucky guitar chord break rather than horns which flattens the tune before the final chorus culminates in its punchy ending. 

An inconspicuous sub division of Hollywood’s Vault records, bringing together an otherwise unknown artist, group and the studio genius of Arthur Wright, and Cliff Goldsmith who worked alongside Fred Smith at Mirwood.  If I were lucky enough to have stumbled across this in any shop back in the day, it would have been a no brainer to pick up, if for nothing else the sheer attraction to that half blue and white label sporting my nickname before the diet!  Its pure class, still underrated and rarer on stock than the white demo.

IMG_E0201.thumb.JPG.456c827191a99bcc5e5c82746f4171b5.JPG

IMG_E0202.thumb.JPG.50bd79f47fa90ba6d748b08ec2c99afb.JPG

Inconquerables – For your love – Flodavieur 803 M- £1500

Flodavieur was a small typically independent label, with only a handful of its releases falling into the Northern genre, which most notably were the 2 group cuts, the Antellects – Love slave, which is probably the rarest release on this Los Angeles imprint, and the Inconquerables.  What we know about the label’s owner Dave Polk who also had a hand in Vistone is that his brand of music was pressing new boundaries, not conforming to the principles of preciseness and perfection associated with mainstream music, but he showed a tendency to  create an almost disjointed, awkward, and out of key style that are the hallmarks of much more rarer and obscure Northern 45s. 

Whilst the flip “Wait for me” is a highly sought after doo-wop side, “For your love” sits firmly in the under produced, raw and obscure stable on the Northern Soul mews.  Also released on a yellow vinyl copy, which is highly revered and very hard to find, this black vinyl copy may be the quickest route to own one this side of the next blue moon.  Fabulous condition and playback.  So rare.  

IMG_E0206.thumb.JPG.84c838181180a7378881f59f94a3c1b2.JPG

IMG_E0207.thumb.JPG.0518e7d8512420de0c4db85a75d17537.JPG

Thee Midniters – You’re gonna make me cry / Making ends meet – Whittier 711 Ex+ £1500 SOLD

There is no greater mark of respect in the music industry, than to be likened to the Beatles for the influence this group had in bringing their own Chicano style of music to the 60s scene, in particular the youth of East LA.  This Mexican-American outfit blazed a new trail in the wild west, influenced by surf, R&B and Mexican music, trying rarely used combinations of trombones, sax, conga drums, electric keyboards and guitars, a mix that would serve them well as a host of releases on the Chattahoochee and Whittier labels demonstrate.

The Whittier label honours the famous Boulevard that Little Willie G (Garcia) and his band mates used to cruise up and down in their highly prized, what we would call now, souped up classic cars, listening to their own low rider cuts of music.  “You’re gonna make me cry” would fill any traditional Northern floor, its incessant pace is a dancer’s delight, and then the flip “Making ends meet”, transports us to another time and place, the low rider scene of East LA, and reminds me of The Webs – Little girl blue, Devotions – Can you explain it, Martineques – If you want me call me, so purely pitched, laid back, and no fuss vocals, telling a story as it should be told.  Apparently voted in Chris Andertons DAB of Soul end of year top ten, so one to watch out for, but then its already rare and gonna get even more sought after.  Just shy of M- due to a few sleeve lines.      

IMG_E0213.thumb.JPG.54e668e6482160f4f97e38c638241a1c.JPG

IMG_E0214.thumb.JPG.d976fa49068979432c732cda07e73fdf.JPG

PayPal as friends or add 4% please or I can send bank details

Postage:

£7.65 - Special Delivery (Fully insured up to £500)

£10.65 – Special Delivery (Fully Insured up to £2500)

Overseas on Request

Cheers, Lee

Edited by Soulfulsolutions
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images