Posted

hi all,just thought i'd start a thread about LP only northern,i used to play a few back when i dj'd,it could be a bit tricky but fun,anyhow here's a few starters - shades of blue "millionaire",maxine brown"one good reason" and of course the tempests "someday" over to you,ktf pete 

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 100
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Roger Banks used to play this a lot! Great record, it's a shame it did not come out on a UNI 45 single!

You're Falling In Love - Betty Everett    

Posted Images

Posted
1 minute ago, petegroover said:

hi all,just thought i'd start a thread about LP only northern,i used to play a few back when i dj'd,it could be a bit tricky but fun,anyhow here's a few starters - shades of blue "millionaire",maxine brown"one good reason" and of course the tempests "someday" over to you,ktf pete 

There's a recent test pressing  / acetate turned up of the Tempests.  Someday ,so does that count out the LP only track ? 

Ste 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

thanks for your replies guys,i guess charlie richs "dont tear me down" was lp only aswell? there must be a few out there,ps i would'nt mind doing an all LP set [as i've collected loads],what could possibly go wrong?  several beers and picking out mid LP tracks !! if nothing else it'd be fun to watch!! ps love darlene loves" long way to be happy" knockout 100mph tune,and to clarify i was thinking about northern tracks that had'nt been booted from the LPs they came from ie Tempests etc 

Edited by petegroover
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

few from me...

Chris Hills Sure as shootin'

Willie & West Get away from me girl

Heartstoppers Brainwashed by love

Bobby Vee Let nobody love you (while I'm gone)

and plenty more...have a feeling there is a list on here from years ago...enjoy 🙂

Edited by Grumpyfella
typo
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

There's a recent test pressing  / acetate turned up of the Tempests.  Someday ,so does that count out the LP only track ? 

Ste 

Never got a release on a 45 though so still Lp only

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, petegroover said:

There was a thread a couple of years ago and I bet a few more

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

"The Spinners - What more could a boy ask for" off the "From the vaults" LP.

Has such sweet memories for me personally as it was the tune that was playing as I walked through the doors of the Wirrina back in 1980 or so on my first ever all-niter experience ... :)

• Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
30 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

"The Spinners - What more could a boy ask for" off the "From the vaults" LP.

Has such sweet memories for me personally as it was the tune that was playing as I walked through the doors of the Wirrina back in 1980 or so on my first ever all-niter experience ... :)

Have had that album since it was released I didn't know that the spinners was never released.  Nice album to listen to all the way through on both sides. 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
35 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

What about The skullsnaps I'm your pimp. Was booted on 7" so album only and willie hutch lucky to be loved by you.  

Lucky...  is also a different version on the LP to the included versions on compilation CD' s

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

The Hesitations - That What Love Is;  Freddy Butler - You Better Get Hip Girl and That's When I Need You; The Metros - I'll Never Forget You - (superior version imho)  and I'm With You All The Way... a nice contingency there from the KAPP/RCA Pied Piper stable

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
28 minutes ago, Staceys Dad said:

so long ..marvin gaye....baby baby dont waste my time gladys knight..( this is out on a 45 ,but not if its legit...) 

Love the Gladys Knight tune... and there's tons by Marvin... Seek And You Shall Find, A Bitter Pill To Swallow and It Don't Take Much To Keep Me, all from the MPG Album .. one of mi' faves!

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
19 hours ago, petegroover said:

thanks for your replies guys,i guess charlie richs "dont tear me down" was lp only aswell? there must be a few out there,ps i would'nt mind doing an all LP set [as i've collected loads],what could possibly go wrong?  several beers and picking out mid LP tracks !! if nothing else it'd be fun to watch!!

I've never done anything other than an all LP set. I don't have any singles.....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
19 hours ago, Ficklefingers said:

Sam Dees 'Lonely..' alt. version with countdown intro and male chorus - Japanese P-Vine

came out as a 45  in the SS  box set 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
18 hours ago, Gazoor said:

Love the Gladys Knight tune... and there's tons by Marvin... Seek And You Shall Find, A Bitter Pill To Swallow and It Don't Take Much To Keep Me, all from the MPG Album .. one of mi' faves!

seek is available on a dutch 45 - flip of save the children

R-2134626-1429315088-9875.jpeg.jpg

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Clyde Mcphatter - One more chance, Rhetta Hughes - I cried myself to sleep, DeDee Warwick - Worth Every Tear I Cry ( though a UK release on 45)

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Here's one for you,  I remember Tim Ashibende mentioned it on Dean Anderson's show, exists as a one off acetate  as below, then got a release on a Phil Spector rare masters Vol 6 series LP, something like that, anyhow its Brilliant!

here is a thread on this track from Pete smith back in 2014

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Absolutely love this..

https://youtu.be/2cLeJpconNU

Hmmmm, there are moments of brilliance here, drums are well cool, but I dunno, bit corny in parts ;-/

kinda reminds me of Leslie Uggams - House Built on Sand...

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

a feel good track that always reach for when someone says lp only

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Here are some of the LP only tracks I have played out:

Swiss Movement - The Grass is greener 

True Reflection - That's where I'm coming from

Odia Coates - The charmer

Main Ingredient - I've fallen for you

Target - All the lights are out

Joe Cuba & Ray Pollard - Ain't it funny what love can do

Freddie Hughes - Tonight I'm gonna see my baby

Norman Feels - Til you come back to me

Mavis Staples & William Bell - Leave the girl alone

Johnny Mayes - I could never be the one

Chuck Bridges & L.A. Happening - Head over heels

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
49 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Here's one for you,  I remember Tim Ashibende mentioned it on Dean Anderson's show, exists as a one off acetate  as below, then got a release on a Phil Spector rare masters Vol 6 series LP, something like that, anyhow its Brilliant!

here is a thread on this track from Pete smith back in 

From the same 1976' UK-only LP, 'Rare Masters 2' , The Ronettes' fine  'Here I Sit ' could/should have got some plays too

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Ok, how are we defining this?  if we say 'Northern' in the classical sense... Ooo Errr... then these brilliant 7ts tracks are out folks!!  so whats it to be...?    its all good though 😉

42 minutes ago, Michael V said:

From the same 1976' UK-only LP, 'Rare Masters 2' , The Ronettes' fine  'Here I Sit ' could/should have got some plays too

Not heard that one.. I'll check it out Mike..

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
7 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Ok, how are we defining this?  if we say 'Northern' in the classical sense... Ooo Errr... then these brilliant 7ts tracks are out folks!!  so whats it to be...?    its all good though 😉

Not heard that one.. I'll check it out Mike..

I agree...the 3 I posted at the top of the post are 3 of the best you’ll get!...in a northern sense of course😀

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
35 minutes ago, Mal C said:

I'd say just go with a relaxed flow and keep the 7ts etc

if really needed, then we could use northern = played at northern styled venue/event as a loose criteria

but I'd say/suggest only if needed...  perhaps?

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Johndelve said:

Here are some of the LP only tracks I have played out:

Swiss Movement - The Grass is greener 

True Reflection - That's where I'm coming from

Odia Coates - The charmer

Main Ingredient - I've fallen for you

Target - All the lights are out

Joe Cuba & Ray Pollard - Ain't it funny what love can do

Freddie Hughes - Tonight I'm gonna see my baby

Norman Feels - Til you come back to me

Mavis Staples & William Bell - Leave the girl alone

Johnny Mayes - I could never be the one

Chuck Bridges & L.A. Happening - Head over heels

Maxis Staple & William Bell.....Great track, but was also came out on 45, so not LP only

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

The take your pick on The Ascots  ‎– Color Me Soul LP, all  bar 'The Graveyard Creep' which was re recorded by James Duhon, who was in the group, and released on Jet Stream as a 45.

The Ascots  ‎– Color Me Soul

Color Me Soul
Doors
Mr. Fix It, The Repair Man
You're My Salvation
Gotta Feel Something, Baby
Don't Say You Love Me
The Graveyard Creep
Let's Seranade Our Love
She's So Indifferent To Me Now
The Traveler

The Ascots  ‎– Color Me Soul.jpg

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 20/01/2021 at 16:54, Chalky said:

Never got a release on a 45 though so still Lp only

This appeared on ebay a few years ago. 
A test press 45 of Someday, so does exist on 45 in this format.
Removed from sale - prob due big dosh being offered.
Has it ever surfaced anywhere ?

Tempests_45.jpg

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 minutes ago, Becket said:

This appeared on ebay a few years ago. 
A test press 45 of Someday, so does exist on 45 in this format.
Removed from sale - prob due big dosh being offered.
Has it ever surfaced anywhere ?

Tempests_45.jpg

It’s an acetate. It never reached test press stage and certainly never saw release as a 45. Kitch has the acetate.  

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 21/01/2021 at 13:56, Mal C said:

here is a thread on this track from Pete smith back in 2014

Agree, brilliant .

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Chris Farlowe, Looking For You.      Lp, 14 Things To Think About.                         

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

This one from the Swingin' Medallions on Smash is a sure fire 'Northern Soul' tune, It's the first one on this youtube LP compilation and is called 'More Than Yesterday, A Little Bit Less Than Tomorrow' (MTYLTT)...

Edited by Soul-slider
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!