House records that would have graced Northern Soul

Fiftyboiledeggs

18 hours ago, Fish Fingers said:

Didn't 'Tribute' Bob Sinclair get played at Northern nights for a while? 

Anyway, I am thinking more soulful vocals for this thread. Few quick ones off top of head.. 

1 hour ago, Fish Fingers said:

Another one thats firmly on the soulful side of dance music. 

Essentially just a soul record but with more bpm.....

And this was really well received on here last year.

Slightly less 'house' but an outstanding tune nonetheless... 

topics about 'House Records That Would Have Graced Northern Soul

best if try and follow that aye

also while here

a reminder regarding audio posts

Please note to avoid performance problems ask all to try and avoid quoting video clips and posting more than one clip per post

Edited by Mike
add
Social source share

Soul Sam used to play Let It Go by Joi Cardwell until fairly recently, Very easy to dance Northern style to 

(72) Let It Go feat Joi Cardwell (Original Mix) - YouTube

I tried to attach the link but it hasn't worked for some reason, perhaps someone else can do it. Sure most know it anyway.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Blurred lines these days, my old Fac51 mates are now into disco, soul and funk based stuff with some of the old Jazz Funk records going down particularly well.

A lot of the Paradise Garage tunes would get a response on the floor at a soul event now I reckon but whether a Northern Crowd back in the day would have reacted well is another story.

This would have crossed over in my house though........

Cajmere Feat. Dajae - Brighter Days (Original Mix) - YouTube

Edited by Back Street Blue
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

always been the track I thought could cross over, this was a MONSTER track at places like the Hummingbird in Brum, Shelley's in Stoke, and that place in Manchester :- /  think Holy St James !

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

and finally, i wont swamp the thread, I'm thinking Norvern screamers here, there are records Ive seen and heard turn people loopy, but this used to literally RIP the place apart at the Amnesia dos in Coventry, it did where ever it was played...

ENERGY LIKE NO OTHER ! which is what Norvern is all about right?

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Hard to know where the boundaries are.

I remember one all dayer at Sheffield Steel City around 78 when the 2 room set up first came in.

Upstairs smaller room pure northern and downstairs jazz funk with some hip hop thrown in.

No natural fusion at that point.

Amalgamation of sorts evolved.

If its soulful sounding and you can dance to it, get it on the decks.

Hard not to defend that when back in the day it was dance only with classics like scratchy and cats eyes.

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

4 hours ago, Mal C said:

always been the track I thought could cross over, this was a MONSTER track at places like the Hummingbird in Brum, Shelley's in Stoke, and that place in Manchester :- /  think Holy St James !

That's a really good comparison, with holly st james. Patti day is a freestyle record though, to be pedantic.😁

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Mal C said:

and finally, i wont swamp the thread, I'm thinking Norvern screamers here, there are records Ive seen and heard turn people loopy, but this used to literally RIP the place apart at the Amnesia dos in Coventry, it did where ever it was played...

ENERGY LIKE NO OTHER ! which is what Norvern is all about right?

Well that was the midlands In The early 90's. It was played and big in the north as well but it's fair to say there was a definite split in the sounds, north vs midlands. Compare Fridays at Shelly's, north west crowd with Sasha, to the eclipse night on Saturdays at the same venue.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Geeselad said:

Well that was the midlands In The early 90's. It was played and big in the north as well but it's fair to say there was a definite split in the sounds, north vs midlands. Compare Fridays at Shelly's, north west crowd with Sasha, to the eclipse night on Saturdays at the same venue.

yep the Day Glow may have made the difference! lol    I think the eclipse lot was later on though, Martin Red's SinDrome was there at the start, predominately everybody from Brum and Wolverhampton area, with a mix of bemused locals in for an early drink of the night, scared the F***K out of em!  he used to have great guests too, Colin Dale, Steve Warner, Bod, Unknown DJ (Micky Rose) and allot of big names over from Chicago...

Right next weeks Mixcloud mix is tracks getting ready to go out Dec 89!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, Mal C said:

and if I might link a track that just simply the best... sheer class:-)

Oh man, I can remember someone screaming '****ing hell'' on top of their voice when that slow piano intro started at the hac. Talk about shudders. We moaned at the dj all night, to play it, new years at hard times, Danny Tenaglia, he did.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

36 minutes ago, fiftyboiledeggs said:

Reachin' definitely  and Ten City , some of the others a bit Russ Winstanley for me;)

How's about this 1984 I think- one hour long.

Amazing record, samples and re made countless times. 

This group has to deserve an inclusion, put out some brilliant singles and an excellent album in 1989/90. 

https://youtu.be/fxodGkgnIa8

Social source share

my mate Martin Redmond (Martin Red) said he had this in the box from release right through to the end of 92,  thats five years,  it was that liked 🙂  Void's other biggie 'Running Away' was good too... but has dated, Doesn't 'alright' sound as fresh now as back then...?

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Mal C said:

my mate Martin Redmond (Martin Red) said he had this in the box from release right through to the end of 92,  thats five years,  it was that liked 🙂  Void's other biggie 'Running Away' was good too... but has dated, Doesn't 'alright' sound as fresh now as back then...?

This is the best of the lot IMHO. Serious shudders from the drum roll into the piano, again, highly sampled. 

https://youtu.be/30uIa2-BcU4

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share