Buying habits during Lockdown

Supercorsa

I was just pondering if peoples record buying habits have changed during the past year and the current lockdown.

Are you buying more records?

Are you selling more?

Are you buying certain styles?

Are you buying more new releases than previously?

Or any other observations?

I've found myself buying more albums these being mainly the recent Kent LP releases and a few of the recent Brunswick reissues put out by Demon group.  Not going out and hearing stuff has had a slight impact on the amount of singles I'd normally purchase.  I cant seem to enjoy some of these live feeds that some put on Facebook, not the same on a mobile as being out in a crowd.

Like I say it was just a thought going around my head at the moment and thought it maybe interesting to some.

Social source share

I'm hardly buying any presently, instead enjoying stuff I have that hasn't seen the light of day in years (When I get the time that is)

I would imagine lots of people could be having sort outs then selling a few during this lock-down.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

My buying pattern during lockdown. Retiring last July has given me more time to browse the well known sites plus sales on here which has given me a far greater knowledge of prices and availability of records within my budget. I only started buying again a couple of years ago so whilst working I was buying every week. A lot of them were impulse buys a substantial amount being previously unknown to me and cheap ,this is  something I now try to avoid with a stricter budget, I'm not one of the lucky one with a big pension pot so I try to be more selective. I had a spell of buying tunes I have always loved but once thought would be out of my price range, with time and patience I have managed to get a few at a price I'm comfortable with. 

I have a wants list on Discogs which I use as a memory jogger, if I hear something on a podcast or media thread on here and initially like it it goes on the list if it's within my budget, alternative list for if I ever have the money ones, were I would have previously probably bought something on first hearing this gives me the chance over time to decide whether I really want the record, some have been on the wants list for eighteen months and will probably stay there.

I buy across the whole spectrum though recently I've been buying beat ballads. I also have developed a liking for popcorn and early 60's stuff best that I can describe it as would be the crossover from Doo Wop into soul an example being the Flamingos I Know Better.

Being more selective I'm buying fewer records but paying more for the ones I do, where I was buying around three a week at the start of lockdown I've thus far bought five in the last two months. 

Len's reply came up as I'm typing mine and like him I've also been going through the boxes, yesterday was a day of Deep Soul, the day before Atlantic and Stax, I had a an hour or so last week of chart soul from the 70's and early 80's.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I've just retired too, had enough of this rat race. No way can I afford to buy rare soul soul 45's . I'm amazed at the prices people are prepared to pay for none essential items in these troubled times. I do pick up the odd original 60/ 70's Lp , but with record shops & fairs shut not so often. Bought 2 off Roger Banks recently , but even these are going up in price beyond my reach, finally acquired Dave Godin's deep soul treasures vol. 4& 5 , oh that  'Detroit my home town' from Rob Moss record compilation,  regards to all hope to see yous out about in the near future , Martin.

Social source share

I seem to be the opposite to all on this thread as I'm slowly trying to sell my small collection of a few originals, reissue, pressings of 45's 12's and LP's. They've been in the loft for too many years and time they moved on along with other stuff. Got rid of my music system years ago apart from a cheap player that I use to see if said records play with no slips or bad scratches. I still listen to my cd's, mp3's and online stuff which keeps me sane 😁 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!