Lovelites - Get It Off My Conscience, bootleg??

Never heard of this being booted. Like all of the other pressings on this label with many small variations it only tells us that they were small batches of rerun presses to supply the local public demand. This copy on the photos look the real thing to me. I will dig out my copy bought in Canada 25 year ago and tell you which variation it is if ever... the flip 'what a day' does it better for me actually. Yeah, I know it's my 'sensitive side' 😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Never heard of this being booted. Like all of the other pressings on this label with many small variations it only tells us that they were small batches of rerun presses to supply the local public demand. This copy on the photos look the real thing to me. I will dig out my copy bought in Canada 25 year ago and tell you which variation it is if ever... the flip 'what a day' does it better for me actually. Yeah, I know it's my 'sensitive side' 😉

Me neither and as it sold 70000 copies in Chicago I cannot see why it would have been booted

Social source share

Have stumble on mine and it bares the same matrix as the OP. The red color on the label looks darker than on the photos but... Nothing fishy. Maybe it's just an optical illusion... Played 'what a day' 😉 JOY ! Played it after an isopropyl alcohol clean even better and even better :) TUNE !!!

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

On 01/02/2021 at 11:51, Blackpoolsoul said:

Me neither and as it sold 70000 copies in Chicago I cannot see why it would have been booted

You're confusing the 45 in question with the "My Conscience" 45 which reportedly sold 70000 copies in Chicago.

The "Get It Off My Conscience" 45 can't have sold anywhere near that.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

You're confusing the 45 in question with the "My Conscience" 45 which reportedly sold 70000 copies in Chicago.

The "Get It Off My Conscience" 45 can't have sold anywhere near that.

Yeah, that makes sense. I read that comment too fast (mind is too buzzy with too many things at once) and it was bugging me  some... But you nailed it ! As far as I can tell this very last release of theirs is their rarest 45.

And 'my conscience' being their biggest sale ever. Likely one of their best tune as well. 'Get it off my conscience' sales was incomparable judging by the numbers of copies flying around. Few and even less worn out IME.

Social source share

53 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

And 'my conscience' being their biggest sale ever. Likely one of their best tune as well. 'Get it off my conscience' sales was incomparable judging by the numbers of copies flying around. Few and even less worn out IME.

Their "How Can I Tell My Mom And Dad" on Lock and UNI was also a big seller. Apparently more than 400.000 copies sold in the US. 

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Their "How Can I Tell My Mom And Dad" on Lock and UNI was also a big seller. Apparently more than 400.000 copies sold in the US. 

Keep on forgetting that one. Indeed. With the 'sing along' flip side aiming for teeny girls with early pregnancy... 400.000 sold ! Baby BOOM ! 😉

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

i will have to dig mine out as i was led to believe that there was a boot with a lighter almost pinky label and the matrix  scratched in rather than indented.. there could of course be 2 original runs as while its their last and rarest its not that rare was still a £6/7 in the 90s

Don't remember any talk of boots at the time in 77. As said, it was put out on Grapevine quite quickly. Have you ever seen the lighter label ? Has anyone on here got a scan so we can compare ?

Edited by Merve
Social source share

I've had a few of both copies in the past. I can't remember any run out details as I don't have a copy now.

One, which I've always taken as the original, is a deeper red colour label and the vinyl is thicker than the other one. 

I've known about the two different copies since the 80s. How it sold in the US would not necessarily have been a factor in whether it was bootlegged or not, if it was popular on the UK soul scene (and it was at Cleethorpes) someone would have seen an opportunity.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

doh..just been up to to where mine is..did i take a scan..did i bugger

2 hours ago, Merve said:

Don't remember any talk of boots at the time in 77. As said, it was put out on Grapevine quite quickly. Have you ever seen the lighter label ? Has anyone on here got a scan so we can compare ?

same scenario as stanley woodruff .. but i`m not certain it was booted but i`m sure 2 different presses

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

doh..just been up to to where mine is..did i take a scan..did i bugger

same scenario as stanley woodruff .. but i`m not certain it was booted but i`m sure 2 different presses

Yes, you are probably right. I've never seen the lighter copy myself.

Stanley Woodruff was a strange choice for Grapevine IMO as it had already probably reached its full potential sales wise from the 2nd run of imports

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!